• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts: U.S. water infrastructure in trouble

Read:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/20/wat....html?hpt=Sbin

Re: Experts: U.S. water infrastructure in trouble

we had that main break last year in Boston that shut down 1/2 the city. Took a couple of NH plumbers to go down there and fix it. Think of it as job security
    sigpic

Comment

chemeng

we are to busy fighting wars to fix anything in this country. you know if we don't fight them over there we will be fighting them in san francisco. breid............

Comment

This is nothing new, the alarm has been sounded many times before and no one hears. Nothing will be done until we have a catastrophic failure of large scale that affects hundreds of thousands.

No one will take notice or part with any money until that happens. We live in a reactionary world. Preventive or periodic maintenance is a foreign concept to taxpayers.

It goes something like this: "Why should I pay to keep a water distribution system in service after I am long gone? Let the next guy pay for it."

The "next guy" being our children and grand children in this case. And planning and building for the future is what advances a civilization.

I said this before, all the TARP money is being funneled toward road and bridge work because that's where it's visible to the public and that's what will get people re-elected. Sinking dollars into upgrading or maintaining a sewage or potable water distribution system is not very sexy from a political standpoint, but a shiny coat of paint on a bridge or a nice smooth inch of blacktop will do wonders on election day. They (the incumbents from both parties) have to put YOUR tax dollars to work where they will do THEM the most good. If that happens to benefit you that's an added bonus that was not intended.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 01-21-2011, 05:43 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Re: chemeng

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          we are to busy fighting wars to fix anything in this country. you know if we don't fight them over there we will be fighting them in san francisco. breid............
          Funny you should mention San Francisco. Coincidentally, San Francisco (and communities along it's pipeline from the Sierras) is doing something about it's water infrastructure.
          http://sfwater.org/Project.cfm/MC_ID...525/PRJ_ID/139

I drive by their open trenches almost daily. And, due to the timing of the release of funds for the project, the bulk of the open trench work is being done in the rainy season. Because of poor bureaucratic timing the poor bastards are slopping around in the mud and I'm sure their schedule (as well as their labor budget) is shot to hell. It does make for good theater though.
          Last edited by Plumbus; 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

City folks Pheeeeh........ Ma well goes dry, I send the missus down to the creek with a 5 gallon pail. No lectricity, burn wood and light the candles, No food, I kill the neighbors freekin horse and eat that damn thing, and that will be the last time the sob breaks through the fence and eats my vegetable garden. Now if'n ya'll pardon me, it's Friday and Friday be bath night so I need to get the wife to warming the water on the stove. think amos and Andy are on the radio tonight.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X