X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copper Lightning Damage

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    I keep getting Zapped !

Was working on a drain in laundry room ... Surge came through me (customer wanted me to pay for wiring )

was working under a house ... surge came through me through my arm and out my Body ...

Was standing in a Door Way Bolt hit ground less than 10 feet away ... So loud I did not hear it !!! ears rang for a week ...

Uh, if you ever come to visit, please keep your distance.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Lighting hit a house near here (rare around here) on the bib, the copper sprung leaks for a few months till they just stopped the madness (water damage) and did a repipe.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

da master

we call that heat lighting in indiana. your right about the hair thing. usually on my arms. ain't much on my head. the charge is always trying to equalize. sometime charge will came out of ground. goes back toward power co. seen where cu pipe got so hot that it blew the solder out of fittings. seen underground services hit bad enough that all the conductors were melted together. sometimes all but one appliances in building were destroyed. i'm 66. been knocked 10' or so across a basement. working on a water heater. no rain clear evening. google "how big is a bolt of lighting" or whatever you want. i deal with most of this is because i'm also a licensed sparky. bonding really helps on shorts. if you think lighting rods work, well a bolt can be 6" in diameter. keep thinking. i have seen 2' in diameter trees blown apart. breid.................

Comment

After reading these posts, I'll take earth Quakes any day !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            After reading these posts, I'll take earth Quakes any day !
            lightning aint that bad I have never seen a house sping a leek on the copper here when hit by lightnig but we use L and its grounded good
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
              lightning aint that bad I have never seen a house sping a leek on the copper here when hit by lightnig but we use L and its grounded good
              I agree we do have good lighting storms up here during the spring and summer and we do not get the leaks in the copper, it must be that we use Type L above ground and Type K below ground.

The only issues I have seen due to lighting strikes is power outages and downed trees. Only calls i get from insurance companies during the storms we get is bad sump pumps or the need for a battery backup pump.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Up north in Michigan you can drive a ground rod 6' into the ground and practically run a football fields lights on it. Here in Florida you have to go 100' plus to get a good ground in most cases.

I have seen some pretty scary stuff from lightning here including being hit by a stray chunk of lightning traveling on the ground, through a pipe I was holding, through me and into my truck. That got my attention, and hurt too.

Hanging around a well rig or pump hoist when the sky starts turning black, just ain't a good thing to do.

I've seen buried PVC shattered by lightning, wall sockets blown out of the walls, submersible pump control boxes with the cover blown off and couldn't find the guts. That's why they call Tampa the Lightning Capitol of the world.
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Thing is, that any ground don't mean Sh*# to a million or so volts of lightning. The pipe can't carry the charge to ground because it's already in the ground. I suspect the holes are caused by the water in the pipe being changed into high pressure steam and any weakness caused by natural corrosion from contact with earth is where the blow out happens.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yep, not much can stand up to that kind of voltage.
                    sigpic

Comment

In Collier Co., SW FLA. there is an area called Devil's Garden that
                      in known to have very high lightning activity. Years ago NOAA
                      installed a ground based detector to measure strikes. Guess what
                      happened? Yeah, it was hit by lightning.

Comment

Now that was funny
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                          I have repaired a few under the slab as a result from lightning strikes. It looks like copper when you touch it with a high voltage power wire....just melts holes in it......like a crappy welding job all caked up and burnt melted metal. Its impressive. A dead short
                          speaking of a dead short I know its off the subject but it was funnyer then he!! when I was working for a pump company around here we were doing fire pump testing and were in a 65 story building and the inspector wanted us to manualy run the emergancy start up switch on the fire panel there was a resister on the pump for the initial start then it switches over to full load well the throw switch that disconects the first switch that goes threw the resister and the second switch had to much play now it only works on thes switches on the manual start but when the first switch and the second switch both hit case switch one didnt turn off in time there was a dead short 480 volt 3 phase that was one he!! of a big BOOOOOOM I thought it was a repercustion gernade not to mention the bright orange flash al I had to say was thank god I was not the man in front of the panal cause he was seeing stars for 5 min lucky he was ok the fire marshel had to change his pants he ran out of the room screaming
                          Last edited by post plumber; 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM.
                          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                            I keep getting Zapped !

Was working on a drain in laundry room ... Surge came through me (customer wanted me to pay for wiring )

was working under a house ... surge came through me through my arm and out my Body ...

Was standing in a Door Way Bolt hit ground less than 10 feet away ... So loud I did not hear it !!! ears rang for a week ...
                            I was doing work in a cond for a lady who was haveing HD remodle her kitchen fortunatly the condo bord made them use the plumbers that they use and would not let HD do there own plumbing unfortunatly HD uninstalled every thing so when I went in to reinstall everything I started with the dishwasher they set it in place so when I whent to remove it to install the discharge hose and the dishwasher L I realized the electrical whip was infront of the back rollers so whe I reched under to move it I had one hand on the door of the stainless steal dishwasher door and used my other hand to reach under to grab the whip well the idiot who discnected the DW turned the cercut back on but didnt put any wire nuts or tape over the wires so when I got shock I t went therw me from my right hand to my left I had a burn on my right palm and a burn on my midle finger and pointy finger on the left that left burn marks on the ladys SSDW door I was afraid to turn on a light switch for weaks I should have bean dead from that
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Another hot water leak under the slab just called......copper pipe. Lighning damage? I dunno but it pays the freakin same

I told the customer to turn off the valve on the cold side of the water heater and re-check his water meter. It stopped turning when he shut the water off at the water heater. Two bath home and no water showing up....has not noticed a hot spot.....relief pipe is dry as a bone. Said he heard it turn off when he shut the valve off at the water heater.
                              Holy crap man....when I worked in Florida we got slab leaks all the time from lighting...are you Florida or what...I am glad I not there anymore...too much jackhammer for me all the freaking time...
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I cant remember the last one I broke the slab on. I usually find the manifolds and bypass the leak.
                                Okay maybe your not in Florida...didn't see many manifolds..maybe 1 out of 20...
                                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                                X