Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copper Lightning Damage

Originally posted by TheMaster
    Without manifolds you either hafta break the slab and find the leak or repipe the entire hot system.

I'm going to try and sell a circ system for this job....he needs it already and I'm about to add 20' of pipe that must be purged before his bath will get hot water. To break the slab and repair(if anythings left to repair) would require ripping up wood flooring that cannot be matched and maybe some tile. The guys insurance deductible is 2500.00.

I could either add a circ system or install a 20 gal heater in series above the master bath in the attic........He has a 50 gal gas now and never runs out of water but it takes fo eva to get to his bathroom. I was thinking of dropping a 1/2" line down the master bath plumbing wall and making a loop back to the water heater....about 80' away and install the circ pump. whada you thunk?
    We did bust up the floor about once... then when another slab leak happened we would offer a repipe thru the attic and only because you can do that in Florida without fear of pipes freezing...or on interior walls then box them in....personally....i would install a recirc pump...cause if the guy has to have one or the other then he probably would be happier with the hot water just being there faster...not to mention the electric bill won't change to much...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Well tomorrow is the big day. Its a 60' bypass roughly insulated in the non heated spaces. I expect it to take no more than 3 hrs once on site and unloaded/set up. All preliminary work has been done with a 90% material list already invoiced...I plan the job to the fitting +or- a few items here and there. I've bagged the fittings for each area that I will be working in and packed a backpack with crimpers,strap,screws,impactor,crimp rings,cutters and an extra milwaukee m12 battery....and a pen and paper to take service calls with while I'm crawling the attic. Its all about planning and efficiency with service. Properly diagnose the problem,plan the install and prepare your tools and material. Take breaks every two hrs and drink a bottle of water and a snack.....if some of you one man shop guys are like me you hafta remind yourself to eat and take breaks.

After the bypass I have a 20 gal electric to replace in a commercial building and install a pan with drain to the exterior. Same building,replace washers on 8" wall mount Royal faucet for the 3 compartment sink and rebuild a gerber 3 valve tub and shower valve.

Third servi call will be go back and auger the old ladys toilet that her husband clogged up today. In the neighborhood so no big deal. long time good customerwith old age catching up to them. No charge.

Fourth servi call is to install a toilet seat in a commercial building in a bank owned property. The building has one working restroom and the realtor says he needs a seat installed. 90.00 plus the seat. Middle of the city.

5th servi call....install relief valve piping to the outside. It has no pipe at all now,just open threads. I'll replace the valve and install cpvc to the exterior.

Sixth call is from two ice cold beers my G.F. puts in the freezer for me while on my way home.

Me being a one man shop,,,you forgot about the three holy crap emergency calls from really good customers!!!

Derek

Comment

Its hard to leave an emergency for an emergency. If the customer is willing to wait until later in the day I can usually work them in. if it gets too bad I refer work to a few companies that between us we share overloads. I have customers that have two plumbers just for that reason. I dont mind,I cant do it all.

For instance,tomorrow if a sewer cleaning call comes in ..no matter who it is including my own home I would call a one man shop drain cleaner that hates plumbing work but loves a stinking sewer that I use. He charges me 65.00 for all the sewers i can hand him.....and gives a one year warranty. So I have just about quit cleaning drains. I should try to hire the guy actually.
        $65.00?? I don't even look at my machine for that...and then a year warranty on drains??? Man that's insane....but you do what me and my plumbing buddy do when either one gets overloaded...

Derek

Comment

Ok ran into trouble on the bypass/partial repipe. The carpenters went hog azz wild with their nail guns and shot the plates FULL of nails. Nails and pex do not mix well and it will rub a hole in the pex.....so I had to make large holes and insulate the pipe through the plates.....easier said than done while under a vanity cabinet.

The original plumbers also had an extra 1/2" hot pipe downstream from the bypass that was looping back to a shower...so the shower had TWO 1/2" feeds????? WTF. So I had to cap the back feeding one behind the shower. That was a PITA.

Leaks are bypassed and the customer is happy. Total with materials.....2300.00

I had to remove the water heater and that was planned.....but i added a pan with drain to the exterior to bring it up to code and protect his storage room from flooding.

Now the other sevi calls for the day....
          cancelled the water heater install until tomorrow.....their old water heater hasn't worked in 6 months anyway so they are not in a big hurry. Augered the old ladies toilet...and cancelled the relief line until tomorrow or Saturday......vaccant house anyway.
          "I love it when a plan comes together"....Col. Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Derek

Comment

I'm NOT a plumber, but reading this subject is very interesting to me. Yeah I know about lightning in the south, being born in N.C. and having spent a few weeks there almost every summer during my youth. Absolutely scary at times!

I am a Ham Radio operator, and up here in NY's Southern Tier, "lightning" is a problem too, especially when you've got 300 ft of copper wire strung out into the air and it cabled back into your house and to your radio.

So may thing for us, is to keep the antenna well grounded so as to bleed off any static build-up on the line... which is a big "magnet" for lightning. Fortunately we have good soil and not the sandy stuff of the south, which is about the worst for conductivity!

On the power of "lightning", back in the late 50's or early 60's, we were visiting my grandparent's in Wellsboro, PA on a Thanksgiving weekend, when the TV tower on the back hill got struck by lightning. Apparently the local TV station had been working on the transmitter building and had forgot to reconnect the ground straps.

When lightning hit the tower, not finding a ground, it traveled down the power line to the power trandformer just opposite the old farm house's driveway. It blew the transformer off the pole, entered the house, encinerated the fence transformer box (electric fence around the pasture), and blew most of the fence off it's insulator's. In the house, it fried the TV (but didn't bother the radio's), cut the living room carpet in half (thanks to an extension cord), and blew a several light bulbs.

And of course, it scared the hell out of a few of us. I remember the loud flash, and (now humorously) my Dad, who was startled awake and ran out of the bedroom yelling for all of us to get to the cellar. Naked as a baby, I guess he had a "recall" of his WWII years. I can still remember my grandmother yelling up to him, "Chuck, put on your clothes... it's just lightning!"

A week or so later, my grandfather gave us an accounting of the damage, which I guess even extended the three miles down into the village of Wellsboro.

CWS

Comment

This was from yesterday in New York.
              http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/01/...in-to-rupture/
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

just goes to show that god hates catholics and new yorkers. what can i say? what can i say? breid...............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  most ground rods on suspect at best. i say that because when we do commercial we have to test it. very seldom will an 8' or 10' rod work. even if they do, electricity does NOT just follow the path of least resistance. it is proportional. if you don't believe me turn on a lamp. go down the circuit and plug in some bare wires grab them. did lamp go out and/or did you get shocked? i thought so. DO NOT DO THIS. well you can if you want but i wouldn't. i get buzzed all the time, that will happen if you work with electricity. that was what prepared me to be master plumber. lol. breid..............
                  Breid, you just described a parallel electrical circuit and the properties of this type of circuit have been well characterized. The amount of current flowing through each leg of the circuit is inversely proportional to the amount of resistance in that leg. The point being if you have a completed circuit leg there will be some current flow no matter how much or how little current is flowing through a parallel leg. (In other words, what you said!)
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

We had a big oak about the size of that one hit about 40 feet away from our unattached garage. It died real fast. I think the Lightning simply dried it out inside. Within a few days, the leaves were brown and in a few weeks branches were already falling off. It happened two years ago and there is nothing left now. Even the stump was mush.

Florida's lightning has been pretty calm this year so far. Maybe I'll get by without any damage for a change.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X