X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Lightning Damage

I decided to delete all my posts and no longer contribute.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 09-26-2011, 07:20 AM.

Re: Copper Lightning Damage

So would that be a grounding issue?
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You seem to have lots of issues with copper down south. Up here we have tons of copper installed in homes and I have yet to see a water service get a hole in it due to a lightning damage.

Also you seem to favor copper for running your gas lines. If lightning damage is such a huge issue for the copper water service, wouldn't you be afraid to use it on a gas service as well.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        You seem to have lots of issues with copper down south. Up here we have tons of copper installed in homes and I have yet to see a water service get a hole in it due to a lightning damage.

Also you seem to favor copper for running your gas lines. If lightning damage is such a huge issue for the copper water service, wouldn't you be afraid to use it on a gas service as well.
        UHHHM....

No...Soft copper for gas...No threading gas pipe...Too hard...
        All time needed for dead horse combat.

Touche Ratz

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          Just recieved a service call for a home that was struck a few days ago.....and now they have a leak on the hot water system under the slab.

Then their neighbor called...with the same problem within 30 minutes.

I love copper

Thats at least 3,000 worth of work right off the top. I quoted 1500 minimum for each job with a 2500.00 cap. Single story homes with 10/12 pitched roofs with high attics. Pex to the rescue!! Insurance adjuster for both homes told the homeowners to have the pipe rerouted and they would cover the cost less the materials One lady left me a key to come take a look and the other one is home all day
          Thank the lord for your blessings.

I quoted a hot slab leak for $650.00 with leak location and concrete patch.
          Homeowner hired an illegal alien handyman.

May take some time.Your pex will soon to be ran by guys charging $75-$125 a day/job.Plus materials of course.

Comment

apparently electricians don't bother bonding to the main down south. It's like a 3rd world country down there isn't it?
            sigpic

Comment

most ground rods on suspect at best. i say that because when we do commercial we have to test it. very seldom will an 8' or 10' rod work. even if they do, electricity does NOT just follow the path of least resistance. it is proportional. if you don't believe me turn on a lamp. go down the circuit and plug in some bare wires grab them. did lamp go out and/or did you get shocked? i thought so. DO NOT DO THIS. well you can if you want but i wouldn't. i get buzzed all the time, that will happen if you work with electricity. that was what prepared me to be master plumber. lol. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                most ground rods on suspect at best. i say that because when we do commercial we have to test it. very seldom will an 8' or 10' rod work. even if they do, electricity does NOT just follow the path of least resistance. it is proportional. if you don't believe me turn on a lamp. go down the circuit and plug in some bare wires grab them. did lamp go out and/or did you get shocked? i thought so. DO NOT DO THIS. well you can if you want but i wouldn't. i get buzzed all the time, that will happen if you work with electricity. that was what prepared me to be master plumber. lol. breid..............

I'm getting a little buzzed right now.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  apparently electricians don't bother bonding to the main down south. It's like a 3rd world country down there isn't it?

Just a Disclaimer for Arkansas ...We still run copper here

Comment

Having lived in Port Charlotte for almost 10 years I can attest to the fact that you guys get lightning storms that are awe inspiring to say the least. I can honestly say that I have never seen a lightning strike pipe failure up here but we don't have a lot of homes on slabs and even less with buried copper. Sounds like a good money maker to me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

May take some time.Your pex will soon to be ran by guys charging $75-$125 a day/job.Plus materials of course.

Your quote seemed very reasonable to me.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Swamie see's yet another PEX argument on the horizon
                        sigpic

Comment

That's a very fair price in my book Adam. It stinks that you run into that sort of stuff.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Comment

this was a new house in park ridge IL I was working in the house accross the street a real bad T storm came in and all the trades left including the brickies and the about 20 min latter a huge BOOOOOM scared the snot out of me went out side and found that the house they were working on was struck by lightning
                            Attached Files
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I keep getting Zapped !

Was working on a drain in laundry room ... Surge came through me (customer wanted me to pay for wiring )

was working under a house ... surge came through me through my arm and out my Body ...

Was standing in a Door Way Bolt hit ground less than 10 feet away ... So loud I did not hear it !!! ears rang for a week ...

Comment

Working...
                              X