Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumber stabbin

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    I don't think it matters what profession you're in, men are prideful and think they know it all.

Regarding this forum, arguments seem to boil down to the Plumbing Code book from what I've seen. Some guys are married to it, and don't deviate from it one bit, and chastise those who do.

I'm not bashful at all, I'm not married to the Plumbing Code book, but I respect it, and follow it to the best of my ability.

When I walk into the supply house, you have your braggers who puff out their chest, or rip fellow Plumbers to the counter people.

The other day I was in the Supply house and needed a Kohler flapper. A local Plumber was in there with me as well, and sat there and helped me figure out which one I needed, cause I didn't know the Kohler number. He wasn't a dick about it, and I thanked him for helping me.

I don't know everything regarding this trade, and I've learned quite a few things from being on this website. To be quite honest, I think we all could learn something from one other in the end.
    This is a firm reality to me.
    Thanks for saying it Flux

Comment

I feel .......dirty. As if I were a mere handyman. I would be ashamed to post pics of what I had to do today to make a 20 yr old shampoo bowl, that is connected to previously, seriously hacked plumbing, operational.

Hi, I'm Slim, and I'm a sometimes code violator.
      (and a weak man compared to the line of women lined up for a shampoo)

Please don't kick me off the forum. I'm almost at 1000 posts!
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        I feel .......dirty. As if I were a mere handyman. I would be ashamed to post pics of what I had to do today to make a 20 yr old shampoo bowl, that is connected to previously, seriously hacked plumbing, operational.

Hi, I'm Slim, and I'm a sometimes code violator.
        (and a weak man compared to the line of women lined up for a shampoo)

Please don't kick me off the forum. I'm almost at 1000 posts!
        Oh come on. Now you're teasing. Let's see some pics!
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
          I don't think it matters what profession you're in, men are prideful and think they know it all.

Regarding this forum, arguments seem to boil down to the Plumbing Code book from what I've seen. Some guys are married to it, and don't deviate from it one bit, and chastise those who do.

I'm not bashful at all, I'm not married to the Plumbing Code book, but I respect it, and follow it to the best of my ability.

When I walk into the supply house, you have your braggers who puff out their chest, or rip fellow Plumbers to the counter people.

The other day I was in the Supply house and needed a Kohler flapper. A local Plumber was in there with me as well, and sat there and helped me figure out which one I needed, cause I didn't know the Kohler number. He wasn't a dick about it, and I thanked him for helping me.

I don't know everything regarding this trade, and I've learned quite a few things from being on this website. To be quite honest, I think we all could learn something from one other in the end.
          You have the braggetts in every country and in evey plumbers supplier house who try to put down other plumbers but I don`t mind giving my advice to other plumbers I meet whether friend or opposition if they ask but I draw the line when a non plumber off the street comes in to buy a plumbing product to do it himself
          Plumbing is changing all time NH and new skills and materials are coming every day and whether we think these skills are worthless compared with what you have learnt in our time is irrelevant as time goes on and if we could come back in 100 years I am sure we wouldn`t recognise plumbing in the future ( if we haven`t blown ourselves to kingdomecome by then)

Tony

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj8istSAMoY

Comment

Ha ha Spoon good one.

I wish the prize for head butting was a women, then it would be at least, productive and rational.

I would fall over if a women said "you know your plumbing.......take me now!"
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Morning "Dunbar Plumbing"! Yes, you got the correct thread posted a while back. Funny, how some of the same people can be so informative/supportive then ocassionally turn into a POS a day later. Don't want to have this turn ugly once again so lets all take a pass on this. For this homeowner things are perfect so far in 2011....no more medical issues (especially kidney stones and hernias), plumbing/heating/electrical all working as designed but more importantly not having to get marching orders from wife (honey, can you do this?... or do that...).

Starting now, I'll offer up my latest "nice to know" and that is for anyone using American Standard washless type fixtures, you can call American Standard at their toll free number and request FREE replacement ceramic-type, washerless cartridges in the event you encounter drips on the original cartridge. Just for giggles I called AS asking if their lifetime guarantee "never to drip cartridges" were just a marketing ploy or would they warranty what they advertise. Good news is they in deed do, they FEDEX out FREE replacements in pairs saving homeowners over $40 in parts costs similar to what MOEN does...life is good

Keeps those tips and tricks, pictures, and humor coming as this is a very informative forum

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  Plumbing is changing all time NH and new skills and materials are coming every day and whether we think these skills are worthless compared with what you have learnt in our time is irrelevant as time goes on and if we could come back in 100 years I am sure we wouldn`t recognise plumbing in the future ( if we haven`t blown ourselves to kingdomecome by then)

Tony
                  Maybe, I don't know. I suspect that the first rule of plumbing will be around for a long time. Materials have changed but the direction (down hill) has not. Unless maybe someone invents something that vaporizes waste.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ha Ha - chapstick on Rick's pants. Now have I told everyone here what a great guy Rick is for helping me on my yard remodel both with the buried gas line as well as the storm drain .

Comment

I was going to post about male bonding but the gays have totally defiled the definition.

Comment

Never heard of a plumber stabbin but I have heard of a plumber shootin.

In New orleans about 20-25 years ago the police was looking for a couple bad guys and a plumber was coming out from under a house and the cop shot him. I didn't read or hear about on the news but it was talked about around the city....so its second hand info. Sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

It seems that the plumbers today compared to the oldtimers are way less skilled and concerned with quality of work. Everyone now gets it done as fast as they can, hoping the inspector wont catch this or that etc. For me, a plumbers son, that is disappointing because there is less job opportunities out there due to the fact that you dont have to be as skilled to get hired or keep your job. You can teach anyone to crimp pex fittings, but when it looks like a 1st grader did the work and nobody takes the time to train properly it creates problems. I take pride in my finished product, and the company i am representing. Unfortunately most of the new/young plumbers dont think this way.
                          Last edited by Plumcr8zy88; 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Maybe, I don't know. I suspect that the first rule of plumbing will be around for a long time. Materials have changed but the direction (down hill) has not. Unless maybe someone invents something that vaporizes waste.
                            It's already here! http://www.ecojohn.com/ecojohn_sr.html
                            Last edited by geno gardner; 02-01-2011, 11:42 PM.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                              Where are the apprentices? They read this stuff, I know they do. Ever ask why yourself why they don't post questions?
                              Thanks T, there's a reason I've got so few posts. While there is a wealth of information here for those able to sift thorough it all, it's not a DIY friendly place............

Comment

If you think this is bad you should see the "zone".
                                In my area the families tended to be quite large 40 years ago and it seems like the youngest was always the one one that ended up as a plumber or sparky. In my bosses case he's the youngest and the rest of his family are doctors, bankers, and teachers. You have never seen a bigger case of "mine is bigger" syndrome.
                                There is no teaching anymore, I've been doing this for 15 years and I bet there was less than 6 months total of actual on the job work with a licensed plumber. The guy that actually took a little time to teach me was canned for being to slow, and we weren't sitting still. I got to learn by the old, well that didn't work method.
                                The trend I've noticed, even with "legitimate" plumbers is they have a apprentice making 12 bucks an hour but they still charge him out for 100. They dump him on his head with a bunch of tools and materials and say have at it. Obviously the guy is gonna screw up from time to time but the so what if he has to go back and fix something, he's still costing a 1/3 of a licensed and trained plumber. The fines for being unlicensed here are like $1000 for first offense but who cares, the company saves 40 grand a year having helper boy do the work as opposed to a journeyman and for the most part inspectors turn a blind eye so they may go years between getting caught.

Comment

Working...
                                X