X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumber stabbin

A recent survey ( done by me ) of plumbing apprentices in New Hampshire shows that 80% of them are working unsupervised in the field every day. The reason is because there are not enough licensed plumbers to supervise them. And that's because young people are not taking up the plumbing trade anymore.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mtne View Post
      Thanks T, there's a reason I've got so few posts. While there is a wealth of information here for those able to sift thorough it all, it's not a DIY friendly place............
      Mtne, I wish it were easier to ask questions on here. I really think I could learn more things since there is such a wealth of knowledge here.

I could really care less who has more equipment than another or how much many years someone has been doing plumbing, we all can learn something.

Yesterday I had a couple things happen. I started a thread on the questions I had, so I typed it up and deleted it. Honestly, I knew I would just catch a bunch of crap and I was too tired to deal with it.

A guy I work with who is 65 wants me to ask some questions, I told him to join up and ask them and see what happens. He just looked at me puzzled.

I have never had the opportunity to train an apprentice but if I did I would take him under my wing and teach him all I know.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        A recent survey ( done by me ) of plumbing apprentices in New Hampshire shows that 80% of them are working unsupervised in the field every day. The reason is because there are not enough licensed plumbers to supervise them. And that's because young people are not taking up the plumbing trade anymore.
        I believe you are telling the truth about what your students told you but I think it is somewhat skewed.

What percentage are doing service plumbing or new construction? Since you said 80% are working unsupervised, I would say 80% are doing service.

Sending out an apprentice to someone's home is wrong and unethical. However, from a cheap, greedy, law breaking employers point of view it's a money maker and has nothing to do with enough licensed plumbers being available.

Why would an employer want to have an agreeable amount of licensed plumbers on their staff? Fact is, they don't want them, and here is why.

Licensed Plumbers earn higher wages. This increases a wide variety of taxes and workman comp insurance premiums.

Licensed Plumbers are generally older and such, have more injuries & require more time off work.

If a Licensed Plumber and an apprentice were on a job, would it get done twice as fast? No. It would just cost the customer more and make them feel as though the service they got was not a good value.

Licensed Plumbers have been there and done that. They know how it should be done and will not just lie down and take it. They have earned their license and will not put it on the line. Apprentices do not have a license to loose. Apprentices do what they are told and most don't know enough, to know it is wrong.

Two Plumbers showing up at someones house to replace a flapper and it freaks customers out. The customer almost always assumes they have been overcharged.

Hiring a licensed Plumber could be a very bad move if they decide to go out on their own, all the while taking everything they can get from company including customer addresses and hand out their business cards. Yes that happened to us.

My opinion is that plumbing companies have not interest in hiring a licensed Plumber. Honestly, it's not a smart greedy business move. They usually will have one or two licensed go-to guys and that is about it.

Don't take me wrong NHmaster, I know your love for the trade. I'm just playing devils advocate.

I truly wish it were different.
        Last edited by Tyman; 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Most are doing service work but there is a pretty good number doing new install also.

As for devils advocate, No argument here. You make very good observations. Furthermore unless plumbing boards are willing and able to step up prosecution there will be even more unlicensed plumbers out there.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X