X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Volume?

I know we measure W.C. but is there a test device that will measure flow volume of NG?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Gas Volume?

The meter does it Or you can do the math. The Nat fuel gas code has tables that will give you volume if you know pressure, length and diameter
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      The meter does it Or you can do the math. The Nat fuel gas code has tables that will give you volume if you know pressure, length and diameter
      Understood. Didn't know if there was something that could be connected at an appliance or inline that could do it.

Thanks for the reminder. Back to the pencil.

J.C.

Comment

I have a Dwyer Instruments manometer for measuring gas pressure. I checked their website and they also sell flowmeters for measuing gas flow. One of these may work for you.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Fl...eters/In-Line/

Comment

It can be done, but not at a price you would want to pay.

Are you looking for a piece of test equipment or something that would be installed in line and left there to monitor and record flow?

I'm thinking the former and for that there are not many solutions for flammable gas flow. Most require placing something in line like a turbine or a paddle-wheel or other positive displacement device which is the principle behind your standard gas meter.

Another commonly used device is a rotometer (see the Dwyer Inst. link above). They are available for some fairly high volumes compared to residential natural gas volumes but again not cheap and I don't recall seeing them used on LPG or NG and they have to be inserted in line. Rotometers are used when welding (some MIG, TIG, automated welders, etc.) to regulate shield gas flow, usually in the range of a few cubic feet per minute or less.

There are electronic mass flowmeters but the price has jumped considerably now and again I've never seen them used on flammable gasses but they may be. In larger volume applications I have seen a flow orifice and a DP XMTR to measure flow. that works on knowing the pressure and size of the orifice so you are back to using the tables more or less except the DP transmitter will give an accurate reading taking into account all the conditions affecting the flow where as the with the tables you are only in the ballpark, the tables can't take into account all the variables (gas temperature and density, actual pipe ID, exact pressure, restrictions in line, laminar or turbulent flow, etc.)

Been a long time since I worked in a refinery or chemical plant where one might run into this application every day (measure flammable gas flow). In my job now I deal with water used to make steam and for cooling more than any other fluid.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Doesn't your meters have those little dials on the face?

Comment

Originally posted by spoon View Post
              Doesn't your meters have those little dials on the face?
              Ours do and its in CFH. Some of ours have 1/4' per hr dials and some only go down to 1/2' per hour dials. Thats how the gas provider here checks for a leak on the system when they install a meter.

Comment

That's exactly what they are.

Comment

Just like water? Use drywall buckets and watch. see how many buckets of Nat. gas You can fill in a minute. Got it, Tanks
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Just like water? Use drywall buckets and watch. see how many buckets of Nat. gas You can fill in a minute. Got it, Tanks
                    I usually just break the line open and use a stop watch to see how long I inhale the gas before I feel like Im going to pass out.If it takes over a couple minutes I suggest an upgrade.

Comment

I wonder if the size of the fireball x the length of time would work
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X