Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A.O. Smith pain

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A.O. Smith pain

    Built in 8-06, this thing is pre FVIR, Power vent...Hot shot.
    Go on a no hot water call.It is flashing the classic '6' error code so I clean the flame sensor rod,put all back and it fires after *tightly* putting the inner and outer doors back on.
    I was called 3 days later same thing.
    Show up and it's running?!Thought ok....
    Called back in 2 days..failed again.
    Well turns out that it is now intermittent.
    Is the flame sensor out of specs?
    I called tech support and they were already gone for the day.
    I install Rheems.
    Ideas?

  • #2
    Re: A.O. Smith pain

    Take a vacuum with you and clean the vent/fan system good.


    J.C.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A.O. Smith pain

      Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Take a vacuum with you and clean the vent/fan system good.


      J.C.
      Pull loose or deal with it mounted?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A.O. Smith pain

        Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
        Pull loose or deal with it mounted?
        Been awhile, but if I remember it is just a screw clamp on there. So I would say pull loose.


        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A.O. Smith pain

          Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
          Built in 8-06, this thing is pre FVIR, Power vent...Hot shot.
          Go on a no hot water call.It is flashing the classic '6' error code so I clean the flame sensor rod,put all back and it fires after *tightly* putting the inner and outer doors back on.
          I was called 3 days later same thing.
          Show up and it's running?!Thought ok....
          Called back in 2 days..failed again.
          Well turns out that it is now intermittent.
          Is the flame sensor out of specs?
          I called tech support and they were already gone for the day.
          I install Rheems.
          Ideas?
          Jay, the water heater is under warranty. Call AO Smith and they will send out a local company that only handles warranty work. They'll have the parts on the truck.

          I just installed a hot shot on Saturday.
          Time flies like an arrow.

          Fruit flies like a banana.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A.O. Smith pain

            I didn't look at the date like I should have.

            Might be the thing to do.


            J.C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A.O. Smith pain

              They are having issues with the wiring harness from blower to thermostat on some models.


              Post back what the cure was.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A.O. Smith pain

                Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I didn't look at the date like I should have.

                Might be the thing to do.


                J.C.
                Maybe.

                The water heater I replaced on Saturday had two gas valves fail and a flame sensor fail, all repaired under warranty. Then the tank failed six months after the warranty expired. The new AO Smith Powervents have ten year warranties though so I went and installed another one.

                There's another PowerVent right next to it piped in parallel. That one has never had a problem. Go figure.
                Time flies like an arrow.

                Fruit flies like a banana.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A.O. Smith pain

                  Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  Maybe.

                  The water heater I replaced on Saturday had two gas valves fail and a flame sensor fail, all repaired under warranty. Then the tank failed six months after the warranty expired. The new AO Smith Powervents have ten year warranties though so I went and installed another one.

                  There's another PowerVent right next to it piped in parallel. That one has never had a problem. Go figure.
                  I have pretty much been making every effort to stay away from State & A.O. Smith. There multiple part, intricate, efficient assemblies seem to have alot of things that go wrong.


                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A.O. Smith pain

                    I'm an American guy myself....but definitely call them and let warranty cover it
                    Ideal Plumbing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A.O. Smith pain

                      I hate A.O. Smith and I really feel your pain brother. I had a pressure switch on the blower motor do that one time.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A.O. Smith pain

                        As Dunbar was saying you want to pull the wiring harness loose from the bottom of the intelli valve. If it is brown or looks burned it needs to be replaced. The parts are warrantied for 6 years but the labor is only one year. Your first year AO service tech might have the parts but he will charge labor if over a year old.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A.O. Smith pain

                          I found that A O Smith gas water heater had to many problems...I stick with Ruud/Rheems!!!
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                          Derek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A.O. Smith pain

                            What Dunbar said. also polarity at the outlet will haunt a water heater. at least that is what B/W says. Don't forget you are dealing with low voltage so any corosion on connections can cause trouble. also make sure the flame sensore is in the flame good . it may need to get tweeked into position.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X