Inventory Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventory Control

So, Sunday I was digging through the deepest darkest recesses of my plumbing van and pulled out 10 pr of Sayco tub stems. I can understand getting overloaded with the ccw off stems but not the cw off.
    This is just one example. At the other end of the spectrum, I'll go to my van for a Delta Monitor cartridge, knowing for sure that i have at least two, only to not find a single one.
    How does everyone else handle inventory control. I'm not big on making a lot of trips to the supply house. I don't have much room at my home/office for inventory. My truck is pretty much my shop. I try to keep a running list of material used and as soon as I see I'm running low on an item I write it down.

There are some items I order online from Wolverine Brass (closet supplies, floats,sillcocks....) so I wait until I have a big enough order to justify the shipping charge.

I'll be glad when they introduce rfid inventory control for the tradesman. Just type in a name/number and the screen will show you where they are on your truck and how many you have.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Inventory Control

Sounds just like me I find that using wolverine makes me slow down and really gauge how many of these I really need. Instead of stopping by a supply house and buying a bunch of stuff.

Comment

My father has a Big Pole Barn on his property, so keeping inventory is kind of easy for us.

However, it's not heated (why is that dad?) and it's a pain in the butt cleaning off the truck in the winter time. My truck needs a good spring cleaning in a few months.

It drives me insane working out of a cluttered truck. I'd be embarrassed to take a picture of the inside of my truck right now. But I blame it on my father cause...he throws stuff into my truck, likes he's throwing it into the Ocean.

Comment

my invoicing program actually has a running inventory built into it. i only update the items that are special and keep tabs on those.

if i had the time i would start to inventory my entire shop. this would allow me to track all my products and keep from having to buy stuff i already have.

sometimes the deals are too good to pass up and i'll buy stuff i don't need right now

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

This snow has been getting on my nerves If I leave a bunch of trash on the truck and come out to a snowed up truck man Gotta pull every thing out broom it all down and reload. Should have cleaned it off last night Found out the new truck only gets 5 mpg and never heats up since it leaks so much air I think it is only going to be a warm weather truck but then it has no a.c. but you can roll the doors back can't wait to see how well that works. have to put some pictures up.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
            This snow has been getting on my nerves If I leave a bunch of trash on the truck and come out to a snowed up truck man Gotta pull every thing out broom it all down and reload. Should have cleaned it off last night Found out the new truck only gets 5 mpg and never heats up since it leaks so much air I think it is only going to be a warm weather truck but then it has no a.c. but you can roll the doors back can't wait to see how well that works. have to put some pictures up.
            This cold spell is getting on my nerves. It was freaking 1 degree this morning, and my truck and K-50 were not happy. I thought I needed a new motor for my K-50, until I realized it was just sooo cold.I never experienced that before..so I learnt something today.

I'm not even gonna get into my caulk-glue-flux and everything else that was frozen.

I don't know how people North of us deal with even colder temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              This cold spell is getting on my nerves. It was freaking 1 degree this morning, and my truck and K-50 were not happy. I thought I needed a new motor for my K-50, until I realized it was just sooo cold.I never experienced that before..so I learnt something today.

I'm not even gonna get into my caulk-glue-flux and everything else that was frozen.

I don't know how people North of us deal with even colder temperatures.
              Oh how many times have I cursed the frozen caulk!?!?! Ok when you can give it a hot water bath at the job. But as we all know, sometimes there is no hot water at all. And sometimes no water.

J.C.

Comment

My version of Quickbooks has an inventory built into it. I have to keep myself disciplined to add in the stuff I buy though. My office is paperless. I run everything off my convertible tablet laptop. So when I am getting into the habit of taking it in with me @ the supply house and plugging in all the items when the counter guy is doing the same.

Not to rub it in but damn I can not imagine working in snow or anything below 65 degrees! Its irritating enough when it rains. But frozen caulking...
                Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Oh how many times have I cursed the frozen caulk!?!?! Ok when you can give it a hot water bath at the job. But as we all know, sometimes there is no hot water at all. And sometimes no water.

J.C.
                  You know...I never thought of using hot water for when my caulk is frozen. If I don't get it in the house I'm working in right away, I ask the home owner to put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Is that wrong or what? lol

Comment

I move all that stuff to the cab to keep it warm . I also have that feature with quick books but have been too lazy.

Comment

I have a system when I use it. Generally, the next morning I look over my work orders and pull the new stuff. Anything I don't have I put it on the list, when the salesman comes to the shop he orders it for me.

The bad part is the stuff will get delivered and put away and by that time, I had forgot I needed it.

I tried writing stuff down on a note pad but that didn't work either and I felt like beeker.

I also work in cold temps and I have to say it sucks bad. The dash of my van is nothing but wax rings, & caulk.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I always try to have a few of every thing..more of every day things,, that i could possibly need in the van..If we see the count of a item get low it gets wrote down to reorder.
                        It works as long as we get it on paper
                        if its not there the son gets the blame

Comment

This is how I keep a proper inventory on my service van. I make detailed itemized invoices. I use the list of material on my invoices to re-stock the truck.

I save 5 or 6 hours a week by not running to the supply house or hardware store to get everyday parts by stocking them at my shop. Saves alot of time and that translates into free time for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            You know...I never thought of using hot water for when my caulk is frozen. If I don't get it in the house I'm working in right away, I ask the home owner to put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Is that wrong or what? lol
                            I am not sure about the microwave but whenever I need my calk gun wax rings when pulling a toilet I always fill up the sink and start to warm them up befor I pull the toilet But like clipper said I also keep 4 wax ring up front on the pass. side floor with all my rodding gloves to help keep the fingers warm
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                            X