X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole house emergency water shut off

Anyone have a recommendation on a whole house emergency water shut off valve? Must be adjustable so that it doesn't shut off with normal high volume use, as when the folks come home and turn on the washer, shower, tub etc. all at once.

Re: Whole house emergency water shut off

Floodstop for whole house.
    http://www.getfloodstop.com/category_s/5.htm
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      Cuda
      Have you used this? If so, can you give me any details on it?
      Scott

Comment

i use them on water heaters and washing machines. the whole house unit incorporate 4 wireless sensors that signal the valve to close.

of couse as long as the sensors detect water, you're fine.

but if the leak is under the house, chances are it will not work as the sensors are typically by the fixtures and inside the cabinets.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i use them on water heaters and washing machines. the whole house unit incorporate 4 wireless sensors that signal the valve to close.

of couse as long as the sensors detect water, you're fine.

but if the leak is under the house, chances are it will not work as the sensors are typically by the fixtures and inside the cabinets.

rick.
          Rick
          My customer isn't worried about leaks caused by overflows. Unlike you in LA LA land, he's originally from an area that has temperatures that can burst pipes, thus the desire for a flow sensor type shut off on the main water line entering the house. His major concern is that the house will not be constantly occupied. In such a situation, an ongoing water line leak could go unnoticed for an extended period of time. Ironically in my area, sustained temps cold enough to freeze pipes have only occurred once in the last 60 years.
          Last edited by Plumbus; 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            Rick
            My customer isn't worried about leaks caused by overflows. Unlike you in LA LA land, he's originally from an area that has temperatures that can burst pipes, thus the desire for a flow sensor type shut off on the main water line entering the house. His major concern is that the house will not be constantly occupied. In such a situation, an ongoing water line leak could go unnoticed for an extended period of time. Ironically in my area, sustained temps cold enough to freeze pipes have only occurred once in the last 60 years.
            Why don't they just shut the water off when they leave? If we go away for a weekend or longer we shut the water off. If the valve is in an inconvenient location you could install a switch operated solenoid shutoff valve so they just hit a light switch on the way out the door.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Why don't they just shut the water off when they leave? If we go away for a weekend or longer we shut the water off. If the valve is in an inconvenient location you could install a switch operated solenoid shutoff valve so they just hit a light switch on the way out the door.
              Wire it into the alarm system. When you arm the alarm in away mode(leaving home),it turns the water off via a relay and solenoid valve

Comment

if they don't want to do like geno and tm says, for a nominal fee i will be right over and shut it off. for another nominal fee i could come right back and turn it on. i could even stay there while they were gone. even better i could move in and they could move out. all for a nominal fee of course. in all seriousness i have a few lakers that have the water dept come out and use the curb stop when they are gone. i had one just buy his own wrench because he didn't like waiting on wd. breid....................

Comment

Working...
                X