X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6" LATERALS [ SIDE SEWERS] RESIDENTAL single family

I know [ now] some of the older S.F. HOMES HAVE THESE along with 4". What was the reason for 6"? We know 4 does the job fine.
    And also it's a short run to the street. tanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 6" LATERALS [ SIDE SEWERS] RESIDENTAL single family

all of our laterals from the main to our side of the property line/ our side of the sidewalk is a 6'' lateral. we are responsible for the lateral all the way to the city saddle. typically to the center of the street or alley.

most of the laterals were installed prior to the homes being built.
    coming to dinner with us saturday night?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      all of our laterals from the main to our side of the property line/ our side of the sidewalk is a 6'' lateral. we are responsible for the lateral all the way to the city saddle. typically to the center of the street or alley.

most of the laterals were installed prior to the homes being built.
      coming to dinner with us saturday night?

rick.
      wish I could
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Often times in the older parts of Toronto (100 year) you will find a 6 " clay lateral that will service 2 houses with a 4" Y. I guess one 6" run to the road sewer is cheaper than two 4" runs when you have houses 24" apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
          Often times in the older parts of Toronto (100 year) you will find a 6" " clay lateral that will service 2 houses with a 4" Y. I guess one 6" run to the road sewer is cheaper than two 4" runs when you have houses 24" apart.

I see that around here in Chicago sometimes too. Usually the houses are very close together like you say, but all 6" at the junction (usually I see a tee) and under both footings inside the house til the laterals terminate. They also were usually built at the same time and OWNED/BUILT by the same person. That is to say, 2 houses on 1 lot. The lots get spit over time and usually the city/village/town will make them run new separate sewers, unless there are extenuating circumstances. I still have 1 customer that owns both the houses on 1 lot. Old lady that doesn't want the hassle of splitting the property even though her taxes are ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            What was the reason for 6"? We know 4 does the job fine.
            Everything's bigger in Kalifornia, even the turds.

Comment

The reason for 6" laterals, like many things in construction, is that they were required. In other words, it was an arbitrary government rule.
              Last edited by Plumbus; 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I knew it was crap related somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                  I see that around here in Chicago sometimes too. Usually the houses are very close together like you say, but all 6" at the junction (usually I see a tee) and under both footings inside the house til the laterals terminate. They also were usually built at the same time and OWNED/BUILT by the same person. That is to say, 2 houses on 1 lot. The lots get spit over time and usually the city/village/town will make them run new separate sewers, unless there are extenuating circumstances. I still have 1 customer that owns both the houses on 1 lot. Old lady that doesn't want the hassle of splitting the property even though her taxes are ridiculous.
                  Shared Laterals and driveways!
                  Always, someone doesn't want to pay their fair share for upkeep!
                  One big heartache.

Comment

Working...
                  X