X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI cords for equipment...

Just wanted to share my recent experience. I was looking for a GFCI replacement cord for a Marco machine I purchased used. I couldn't believe how much these things go for!

I found a GFCI cord end on ebay for $15 plus the cost of a standard extension cord to hack up ($10-$15). So for half the cost of a replacement cord from General, Ridgid, Marco, etc....you can have a cord that is as long as you want it (within reason, of course). I would stick with a 14-3 cord as a minimum....go 12-3 if you have a bigger machine.

The cord end is ebay item number 160289899225.

Here are a few pics.

Ideal Plumbing

Re: GFCI cords for equipment...

Wow, Too wierd, I picking up the phone to order a gfci from General for my metro rooter when I saw your post. Thank's. Your way is a much better way to go.

Comment

did you conect the cord or did they shot I may get one just for a spare
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

home depot sells a yellow one with a 6'' long female end for around $10.00

of course i bought 2. the factory one on my k-50 wore out.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
          did you conect the cord or did they shot I may get one just for a spare
          I did...very simple to do. I can put it together for you if you'd like, but it's VERY straightforward.
          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

On all the equipment I own, I have to use GFCIs for safety and I bought like 100 of these in 20amp.

I have one machine that doesn't have one which is dangerous, need to install it. It's a boxy type that covers the entire outlet.

When I priced one for my drain equipment, they wanted $175.00.

In the big picture on this discussion,

IF, there was a situation where someone got electrocuted, I'm curious to know if your insurance will not cover in the event due to not using OEM products on your equipment in question.

I'm sure if someone lawyered up, wanted to put up a fight, they'd ask the first question,

"Did a competent and licensed electrician install that receptacle end on your equipment?"

You can see how a jury of peers could level the score as you took risks doing it yourself.

Personally I do all of my own, I solder the ends of the copper wire so when they are installed it's like solid wire instead of braided.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I would think that if you do things correctly, you could have an electrician testify that everything was connected correctly.

I worked as an electrician for about 5 years full time and part time while in high school so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

why not just the $10.00 one with a 6'' cord female end?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  why not just the $10.00 one with a 6'' cord female end?

rick.
                  Had I seen that, I would have probably gone that route. But I guess I also like the idea of having the gfci on the machine so that it's always handy and I don't have to look for the gfci as a sepeate unit. But that would be nice to have since you could just use different equipment with the one gfci.

All this is assuming you're talking about a plug in gfci that you can plug any cord/equipment into...
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                    I would think that if you do things correctly, you could have an electrician testify that everything was connected correctly.

I worked as an electrician for about 5 years full time and part time while in high school so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing.

No doubt.

I just have to think like a lawyer at all times in regards to my liability. You can have insurance completely, but that same insurance company will fight you to cover whenever possible.

I had a insurance job get turned down this week, it was all in the wording of the job task at hand.

I didn't feel indebted to lie for these perfect strangers to get it covered.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                    X