X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating a tub?

I'm getting ready to install a new cast iron tub and was wondering if anyone has ever added spay foam insulation to the underside cavity areas to aid in noise dampening and insulation.
    Thanks,
    JJC

If you have baseboard heating then put 4' of heat under the tub. I have stuffed insulation under them also when heat wasn't available.

Comment

Beware the expanding foam insulation. If your tub is cast iron as you stated, the noise factor shouldn't be applicable. As for insulation, I would go with the spray foam because it will retain it's R value better wet than fiberglass. I say beware because of a job I did a few years ago. I installed a shower stall in a basement and the client was upset because the base had some bounce around the drain. So I drilled a hole through the drain below the base and injected some foam isulation to fill the void. The majority of the base was filled with a dry cement mix for leveling and sturdiness. I sprayed too much and the next thing you know, this foam actually lifted the base from the floor. Not one of my better days. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X