Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Moen Positemp...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moen Positemp...

    cartridge stuck in the valve body. Anybody with any tips or hints? Had one yesterday and broke 3 tools getting it out. It came out in lots of little pieces. The new cartridge went in nice and easy. I figure it was the rubber swelled. The tool that comes with the new cartridge also broke.


    EDIT: the brass stem on the cartridge had snapped off inside the the body of the cartridge.
    Last edited by Plumbducky; 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM. Reason: add more info.

  • #2
    Re: Moen Positemp...

    If you have room to do so, heat it up with your torch...it will come out.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Moen Positemp...

      Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
      cartridge stuck in the valve body. Anybody with any tips or hints? Had one yesterday and broke 3 tools getting it out. It came out in lots of little pieces. The new cartridge went in nice and easy. I figure it was the rubber swelled. The tool that comes with the new cartridge also broke.


      EDIT: the brass stem on the cartridge had snapped off inside the the body of the cartridge.
      Drill the center out and use a small easy-out. Thats all I know to do....I'd like to know what Moen says about it. If it has to be replaced I would for sure ask moen for a free valve.

      Moens a POS IMO.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Moen Positemp...

        I ended up drilling out all of the brass and could not make a dent on the stainless. Then used an easy out, which ended up breaking the plastic.
        Then used a couple of picks and small screwdriver and pliers to pull the rest of it out in lots of little pieces. Then pulled the rubbers out of the ports and had to cut the end of the body with a hacksaw blade.

        I see lots and lots of Moen around here with a few Delta and some Kohler.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Moen Positemp...

          Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          I ended up drilling out all of the brass and could not make a dent on the stainless. Then used an easy out, which ended up breaking the plastic.
          Then used a couple of picks and small screwdriver and pliers to pull the rest of it out in lots of little pieces. Then pulled the rubbers out of the ports and had to cut the end of the body with a hacksaw blade.

          I see lots and lots of Moen around here with a few Delta and some Kohler.
          Brutal!

          Why did you cut the end of the valve with a hacksaw?

          How do you feel about Moen right now?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Moen Positemp...

            Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            Drill the center out and use a small easy-out. Thats all I know to do....I'd like to know what Moen says about it. If it has to be replaced I would for sure ask moen for a free valve.

            Moens a POS IMO.
            Scoring or gouging the valve while using a drill or easy out, will cause the cartridge to not seat properly and the faucet/shower head will drip. I learnt that lesson a long time ago....that's why I heat them up and pull them right out.

            Moen's cartridge can't be beaten IMO. They are the only cartridge I can return at the supply house and get brand new ones. Since the lifetime warranty, I have yet to buy a Moen cartridge.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Moen Positemp...

              Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Scoring or gouging the valve while using a drill or easy out, will cause the cartridge to not seat properly and the faucet/shower head will drip. I learnt that lesson a long time ago....that's why I heat them up and pull them right out.

              Moen's cartridge can't be beaten IMO. They are the only cartridge I can return at the supply house and get brand new ones. Since the lifetime warranty, I have yet to buy a Moen cartridge.
              I've never had to replace a valve because of damage i caused by the drill or easy out....tho some may have. Delta will give me cartridges when i need them as well. Glad things are working for you...they are working here

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Moen Positemp...

                Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Brutal!

                Why did you cut the end of the valve with a hacksaw?

                How do you feel about Moen right now?

                Only had to cut the end of the cartridge, cause I coulnd not get it loose.

                Still like moen, parts are easy to come by and usually easy to repair.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Moen Positemp...

                  I use a bit of liquid wrench and am able to get the cartridge moving and finally pulled it out. I do recommend flushing the valve body out after using any chemicals in there and before putting the new cartridge in. I believe the instructions recommend flushing out the valve body anyway to remove any sediment/calcium buildup.
                  Ideal Plumbing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Moen Positemp...

                    After responding to this thread the other day, I f*cking jinxed myself today on a posi-temp.

                    Took me over an hour to get the cartridge out, and heating it up didn't work (first time it didn't work).

                    Out came the drill, and had to use an easy-out to get it free.

                    Yea..I was cursing up a storm today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Moen Positemp...

                      Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      After responding to this thread the other day, I f*cking jinxed myself today on a posi-temp.

                      Took me over an hour to get the cartridge out, and heating it up didn't work (first time it didn't work).

                      Out came the drill, and had to use an easy-out to get it free.

                      Yea..I was cursing up a storm today.
                      You know whats up and what to say now Good work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Moen Positemp...

                        Glad that I am not the only one that this happens to.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Moen Positemp...

                          buy a pasco moen cartridge tool and learn to use it simple simple simple

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Moen Positemp...

                            I usually grab the stem with vice grips and pry between the grips and the valve body with a screw driver. I never had one that didnt come out this way. I have trashed a few cartridge tools and would not buy another.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Moen Positemp...

                              I broke the cartridge removal tool as well as some others.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X