Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power Inverter ?

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    He has the Power Bright PW900-12 It has 1800 peak start up wattage which is more than enough to start the K-7500 and a continuous of 900 watts which is enough to keep it running. http://www.powerbright.com/pw900-12.html

Nice...I also looked at Power Bright Products...did you friend mention any limitations on cord length and heavy stoppages with the machine powering down or anything? Would just be curious if any problems...and I assume he leave the van running?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

like ron, my sprinter came with a second battery. the 2000 watt inverter i installed wil run my k-60 and timberwolf.

on my tilt cab truck, i had the room to store a 2500 generator that i used as needed and even did core drilling with it.

the inverter draws power based on load. none are 100% efficient. if they were then a 1 amp load would draw 10 amps dc.

900 watts is way too much for a cigarette lighter. the lighter is at most a 20amp fuse. that's 240 watts.

i have mine wired with 2 gage welding wire and a heavy duty battery switch to shut it off.

rick.

low profile bolted next to the center isle front passenger seat.

the outlet was the only load on the secondary battery from the factory. the red key switch is what i installed to isolate the inverter when not in use.

back side of the disconnect switch.

fusable link and charging relay under the drivers seat. talk about a hot seat.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-03-2011, 03:48 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
        Nice setup!! I assume you put the battery so you don't have to leave the van running? I was looking at Pure Sine Wave products...so I suppose your happy with it?
        I am happy with it, but I would be even happier if it would run 20 amp equipment. (Even though it claims to have a 3000 watt surge capability it won't even think of running the jackhammer. The Supersawzall (15 amps) will trip it if I start it two or three times quickly.

The pure sine wave isn't so important if you only run power tools. If you run a computer or something like that it can be an issue.

The engine is almost always off when I use the inverter. If I'm drilling 2-9/16" holes for a couple hours I'll let the van run. I installed the largest Optima deep cycle battery they make. It barely fits under the seat.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas guys..Don't know if I am going to try and retro fit my existing truck or wait for my next and do it up. Thanks again
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The specs on cheap equipment is often incorrect or they use different methods of arriving at the specs. For example...stereo amps. 100 watts from Costco doesn't equal 100 watts from my stereo shop......the amps the stereo shops sells are much more powerful. Buy cheap and you get cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              http://estore.honda.com/pe/asp/landi...ductCatId=P2GG

This what we use on the jobsite. Navy issued. I was suprised to see how well it'll keep up. It handles hole hawgs and dewalt's framing saw but not a Mag 77(the dewalt has a soft start) It's small and light enough to go where ever you need it. It's lasted 6 months of 12 hour days 7 days a week with no hiccup....so far.

Hey there Gear Junkie, you're back!
              Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                Nice...I also looked at Power Bright Products...did you friend mention any limitations on cord length and heavy stoppages with the machine powering down or anything? Would just be curious if any problems...and I assume he leave the van running?

His power cord is heavy gauge wire with a cigarette lighter end on it, and the cigarette lighter is wired directly to the battery with a 30 amp fuse. He does have to keep the van running, and as I said he had no issues with the unit running his rods. He only uses it when he in a bind for power.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

His power cord is heavy gauge wire with a cigarette lighter end on it, and the cigarette lighter is wired directly to the battery with a 30 amp fuse. He does have to keep the van running, and as I said he had no issues with the unit running his rods. He only uses it when he in a bind for power.
                  I think your friends lying to you. I dont think a 30 amp dc fuse will suffice to run an inverter capable of running a 6amp ac motor....I'm not sure what the starting amps would be on that 6 amp motor.

Comment

I have a 2200 watt inverter. I would have to go look at it to get the brand name, but it got us through the Hurricanes in 2004. It ran two refrigerators and kept the TV running to keep us from going stir crazy.

I would be a little leary of that cigarette lighter hook up thingie cause I have less than 1 foot long #2 cables coming off this thing with jumper cable clamps on the ends and thats what was recommended to run it full out. No longer and no smaller. This thing would melt the dash board out of your truck if you plugged it into a cigarette lighter and touched it off.

Someone mentioned the square wave won't run some electronics and some motors. I can attest to that.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

An inverter is one of those things you either spend the money to do it right or you will have problems.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        An inverter is one of those things you either spend the money to do it right or you will have problems.

Mark
                        I never said my friends is the right set up. I know he is wrong for not wiring it direct to the battery. I guess what he figures is as often as he uses it, it works for him.

I do prefer my set up since it is properly wired into the van, and I know it will provide more than enough power.

Comment

I never said my friends is the right set up. I know he is wrong for not wiring it direct to the battery. I guess what he figures is as often as he uses it, it works for him.

I do prefer my set up since it is properly wired into the van, and I know it will provide more than enough power.
                          I really meant you, Rick and geno did it right.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Heres a cordless mainline machine

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trojan-Stallion-...item2c5a683dcd

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post

Okay now I've seen it all....4000.00--b*tch better be making me some toast!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Marvin told me that the old Spartan motors where able to run on A/C and D/C, that his old shop was still wired with D/C and they ran the rods all the time on the D/C outlets.

Now I have the Trojan DC Colt for a few years, It works really well. Mine is the red colored machines instead of the new silver and black look. I never seen the DC version of the 1065 or as Trojan calls it the Stallion. The pictures they have on their site is of the A/C machine, I would like to see the DC version up close.

Comment

Working...
                                X