X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater woes

Replaced the thermocouple 7-8 months ago. Now they are running outta hot water . 5-10 min. max they say. Gonna assess .. I am thinking rotten dip tube? Not sure. The landlord has alredy paid me to replace the failed thermocouple and now the heater may need a new dip tube . I am going to get the info off the heater and try and age it. Tenant said it says Goodman on the heater?. I mean if I relace the dip tube + the already thermocouple replacement = almost the cost of a new heater - labor. We'll see I guess
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Water heater woes

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Replaced the thermocouple 7-8 months ago. Now they are running outta hot water . 5-10 min. max they say. Gonna assess .. I am thinking rotten dip tube? Not sure. The landlord has alredy paid me to replace the failed thermocouple and now the heater may need a new dip tube . I am going to get the info off the heater and try and age it. Tenant said it says Goodman on the heater?. I mean if I relace the dip tube + the already thermocouple replacement = almost the cost of a new heater - labor. We'll see I guess
    DIP TUBE. Every day Mechanics put too much$$ in old car repairs. Ain't their fault !!!!
    Dump the guilt!!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks, so you would just replace the heater?

Comment

I would check the temp of the water and then do a draw test. If the draw tests out ok then there is no problem other than the tanks undersized.

If the draw test fails its either the diptube or the control thermostat out of calibration and must be replaced.

Goodluck!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          I would check the temp of the water and then do a draw test. If the draw tests out ok then there is no problem other than the tanks undersized.

If the draw test fails its either the diptube or the control thermostat out of calibration and must be replaced.

Goodluck!
          Yeah gonna test out the situation..age the heater . Give the quote on yet another repair vs. a new heater and see what happens..I'll follow up . Thanks again

Comment

Depends on age of heater...he average life of tank is 10 years...so once it hits that mark I will make a repair... giving the customer the information and warning that start saving for a new one...but two back to back repairs would depend on your relationship with them, money, and etc...tough call...if easy repair then I'd say maybe...then give em the speech....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

7yr. old A.O. Smith ..Took a 5 gallon bucket up to the shower..Took about 2- 2 1/2 min. to fill the bucket..Ok the heads flowing about 2.5 gallon per minute..Ok good...Then proceded to run the hot only outta the shower head for another 15 minutes ..After about 15 minutes of that the water started to get luke warm still not cold like she mentioned..I explained to her it is only 38 gallon with a 38 gallon per hr. recovery..I had run maybe 35 gallons before the HOT HOT water cooled a bit..So if you are using ALOT of hot water and take a 15 min . shower and then another person thinks they are going to do the same it's not happening ..Especially if there is laundry , or any thing else using hot water at the same time..Maybe being older the unit doesn't recovery as quickly ...I know I don't anymore when I run outta gas..I will be in touch with their landlord and let him know my findings and give him a quote on a 40 and a quote on a 50..There you have it..

Comment

The colder water coming in may be the difference
                It would be hot enough if she had to paid the bill

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                  The colder water coming in may be the difference
                  It would be hot enough if she had to paid the bill
                  Yep.

Comment

7yr. old A.O. Smith ..Took a 5 gallon bucket up to the shower..Took about 2- 2 1/2 min. to fill the bucket..Ok the heads flowing about 2.5 gallon per minute..Ok good...Then proceded to run the hot only outta the shower head for another 15 minutes ..After about 15 minutes of that the water started to get luke warm still not cold like she mentioned..I explained to her it is only 38 gallon with a 38 gallon per hr. recovery..I had run maybe 35 gallons before the HOT HOT water cooled a bit..So if you are using ALOT of hot water and take a 15 min . shower and then another person thinks they are going to do the same it's not happening ..Especially if there is laundry , or any thing else using hot water at the same time..Maybe being older the unit doesn't recovery as quickly ...I know I don't anymore when I run outta gas..I will be in touch with their landlord and let him know my findings and give him a quote on a 40 and a quote on a 50..There you have it..
                    So you did a draw test. Good job. Now get you a thermometer AND try to sell the landlord a pressure balanced shower valve

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      So you did a draw test. Good job. Now get you a thermometer AND try to sell the landlord a pressure balanced shower valve
                      You know...thats food for thought... And that vanity is looking bad too and that toilet..They had a moen chateau lavy faucet I could hardly pull open to turn on the faucet..Why do slum lords always skimp on the plumbing

Comment

You know...thats food for thought... And that vanity is looking bad too and that toilet..They had a moen chateau lavy faucet I could hardly pull open to turn on the faucet..Why do slum lords always skimp on the plumbing

HELLO...slum lords..duh...that just means your not charging enough if working for slum lords!!!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                          HELLO...slum lords..duh...that just means your not charging enough if working for slum lords!!!

Trust me..he is NOT a reg. customer..I avoid slumlords, contractors, like the black plague..I charge enough believe me..

Comment

Trust me..he is NOT a reg. customer..I avoid slumlords, contractors, like the black plague..I charge enough believe me..
                            True to word

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                              True to word
                              Word

Comment

Working...
                              X