Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Would any of you be willing to answer the following questions? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would any of you be willing to answer the following questions?

Pipe Trades Survey

A recent article in PM Magazine reflected a national trend concerning the depletion of our labor force due to attrition and lack of adequate replacement. Regrettably, I believe, that the value and necessity of our trades men and women has been marginalized resulting in lower wages and a business climate that repels rather than attracts our future workforce. Additionally there is concern that possible energy and infrastructure projects will not take place due to shortages in labor. By 2014 nearly 40% of skilled labor is slated to exit the work force with only a fraction of those positions being replaced. My question is why?

Name (optional)

Years in trade

1) Are you satisfied with your current employment?

Y/N

2) Are you actively looking for career opportunities outside of skilled labor?

Y/N

3)Are you associated with a labor union?

Y/N

4) Are you optimistic about the future of the industry?

Y/N

5) Are you fairly compensated for you effort?

Y/N

6)Are Plumbers, in general, paid too much money?

Y/N

7) As a nation why are/will we have difficulty encouraging young people to pursue a career in the trades?

Additional Comments:

9) May I use you as a reference for a possible article in PM Magazine?

Y/N

Justin Geraghty
    Project Foreman
    Ph. 541/382-9210
    Cell. 541/408-2931
    Fax. 541/749-2707
    GMI
    GERAGHTY MECHANICAL INC.

Re: Would any of you be willing to answer the following questions?

The HC Dunbar Plumbing Company

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. No
    5. Yes
    6. No
    7. Yes, due to the ease of install of material choices made by plumbers

8. The crutch of the plumbing industry has succumbed to the plumbers who have chosen to devalue the trade by the material choices they've incorporated into their work ethic, if you can call that intelligent decision making.

This has lowered the bar for the profession across the board, losing the respect and dignity that plumbing professionals once had in their intellect to be individual in representing a skill that only top tier tradesmen incorporate.

Given that swift and speed, save money for the builder/general contractor is the first pathetic move to keep employed, the draw down regret is easily seen by the lowered wages that a plumber now earns as a result.

The plumbing industry has no one to blame but the aging network of individuals that use these products daily, embedding the notoriety that they accept the governed rule that they are installing product that many can do, therefore I choose to make less money for my education and skill level.

Not all plumbers follow this design, one of them is the author of these words.

9. Absolutely
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Having been a subscriber to PM for years I can tell you that PM is part of the problem, not the solution. In their zeal to solicit advertising dollars and jump on the "green" band wagon, the publication has become nothing more than a mouthpiece for industry. I teach plumbing & HVAC to high school students and apprentice plumbing classes as well. The problem with the industry is the same problem it has always had and that is a combination of industry whores and plumbing boards unwilling to enforce the code thereby grossly lowering the standards for sanitary plumbing and the tradesmen doing the work. While electricians are constantly improving their educational standards and revising their codes to be more inclusive, plumbers are finding every clever way possible to dumb theirs down including such nonsense as open book license exams and adopting the IPC.
      sigpic

Comment

Will booth
        1 n
        2 n
        3 n
        4 y
        5 y
        6 y
        7 most younger people are lazy and or lack pride and integrity

Comment

And I can say that cause I am younger

Comment

[QUOTE=Justintheplumber;330720]

Years in trade - 25

1) Are you satisfied with your current employment? - Yes

2) Are you actively looking for career opportunities outside of skilled labor? - No, I have enough on my plate as it is.

3)Are you associated with a labor union? - Heck No.

4) Are you optimistic about the future of the industry? - Yes and No. Yes being there will always be a need for Plumbers. No, because Licensing factors for Plumbers are not tough enough in most states.

5) Are you fairly compensated for you effort? - Yes

6)Are Plumbers, in general, paid too much money? - Stupid questions don't warrant a response.

7) As a nation why are/will we have difficulty encouraging young people to pursue a career in the trades? - Yes, because the younger generation is lazy and think too much about entitlements.

Additional Comments: - Plumbers across the nation should stick together to protect the trade. Most of the problems we face in this industry falls right own our very on shoulders.

9) May I use you as a reference for a possible article in PM Magazine? - Yes

Comment

1) Yes
              2) No
              3) No
              4) Yes
              5) Yes
              6) No
              7) 4 year degrees are pushed down young peoples throats. Some frown upon college footbal players leaving school to sign multi-million dollar professional sports contracts. Thats proof enough for me.

Comment

A shortage in the workforce has NOTHING to do with the kind of materials being used. Give me a friggin break! So I guess you're going to blame this entire recession on the plumbing materials too? I am so sick and tired of hearing a couple of you whine about this day in and day out. For rice lake give it a rest already! Ok I said it, feel better now.

Comment

Iron Ranger

24 years

1. Yes
                  2. No
                  3. No
                  4. Yes
                  5. Yes
                  6. No
                  7. Laziness
                  8. None
                  9. Yes

Comment

DELCASE PLUMBING CO

1 y
                    2 n
                    3 n
                    4 n
                    5 y
                    6 n
                    7 Being in a trade is a great job, But you need a boss that wants you to learn not just use you as a grunt for 4 years , If you teach them and work right there with them they learn it makes the tough days a little easier for everyone.. And the easy days a pleasure to be in the trades.

9 y

Comment

A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing Service

Years in trade 23 years

1) Are you satisfied with your current employment? Yes

2) Are you actively looking for career opportunities outside of skilled labor? No

3)Are you associated with a labor union? No

4) Are you optimistic about the future of the industry? No, mainly due to the lack of enforcement of the plumbing licensing laws.

5) Are you fairly compensated for you effort? Yes

6)Are Plumbers, in general, paid too much money? No

7) As a nation why are/will we have difficulty encouraging young people to pursue a career in the trades? Yes, mainly due to the fact that young people can earn more elsewhere, with better benefits.

Additional Comments: The biggest problem with our trade is the consumer does not feel its a skilled trade anymore. They no longer want to pay us a decent what need to charge to ensure the plumbers get a decent wage with benefits. (vacation time, health insurance, retirement plan) Most feel a plumber should only earn a few dollars more than min. wage. They get appalled when we compare ourselves to a doctor or a lawyer. We have to go through an apprenticeship, and schooling to get our plumbing license. Granted it may not be as long as a doctor or a lawyer schooling, but its still the extra yard we have to go to get into this industry. Many argue that pex and plastic pipe has degraded our industry. I agree with them 100%. I know guys that have a license that can not solder a proper copper joint, have no idea how to caulk a CI joint, and have no idea how to properly cut and thread steel pipe.

9) May I use you as a reference for a possible article in PM Magazine? Yes
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I'm a sprinkle fitter, not a plumber, so I'm gonna throw in my .02 without answering your list of questions.

SewerRatz kinda hit on some of the things I have been noticing for a while in the various skilled trades. A skilled, professional, tradesman doesn't seem to get the respect that he used to. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, but folks "look down" on you if you've spent the time to acquire the necessary skills to become a tradesman vs. getting a "real" degree form college.

Society as a whole has changed a lot. Most younger folks are interested in something where they don't have to sweat, or get dirty. It's not as "cool" to say your a plumber, an electrician, or a carpenter as it is to say you work in an IT department somewhere. Of course the pay for skilled trades isn't exactly keeping up either. Why sweat your rear off in the summer, or freeze in the winter, when the local department store offers air conditioning, and a chance to meet pretty faces for the about the same starting pay?? Why take a dump in a porta toilet when working at the mall gets you a clean crapper?? The list goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
                          I'm a sprinkle fitter, not a plumber, so I'm gonna throw in my .02 without answering your list of questions.

SewerRatz kinda hit on some of the things I have been noticing for a while in the various skilled trades. A skilled, professional, tradesman doesn't seem to get the respect that he used to. It seems to me, and I may be wrong, but folks "look down" on you if you've spent the time to acquire the necessary skills to become a tradesman vs. getting a "real" degree form college.

Society as a whole has changed a lot. Most younger folks are interested in something where they don't have to sweat, or get dirty. It's not as "cool" to say your a plumber, an electrician, or a carpenter as it is to say you work in an IT department somewhere. Of course the pay for skilled trades isn't exactly keeping up either. Why sweat your rear off in the summer, or freeze in the winter, when the local department store offers air conditioning, and a chance to meet pretty faces for the about the same starting pay?? Why take a dump in a porta toilet when working at the mall gets you a clean crapper?? The list goes on and on.
                          haaaha portas suk when in a jam

Comment

Originally posted by justintheplumber View Post
                            pipe trades survey

a recent article in pm magazine reflected a national trend concerning the depletion of our labor force due to attrition and lack of adequate replacement. Regrettably, i believe, that the value and necessity of our trades men and women has been marginalized resulting in lower wages and a business climate that repels rather than attracts our future workforce. Additionally there is concern that possible energy and infrastructure projects will not take place due to shortages in labor. By 2014 nearly 40% of skilled labor is slated to exit the work force with only a fraction of those positions being replaced. My question is why?

Name (optional)

years in trade two weeks

1) are you satisfied with your current employment?

y/n sometimes.

2) are you actively looking for career opportunities outside of skilled labor?

y/n yes for "skilled labor" and all others. Why would i ever limit my opportunities?

3)are you associated with a labor union?

y/n no

4) are you optimistic about the future of the industry?

y/n yes.

5) are you fairly compensated for you effort?

y/n sometimes.

6)are plumbers, in general, paid too much money?

y/n good ones are not.

7) as a nation why are/will we have difficulty encouraging young people to pursue a career in the trades?

you have a whole nation of people that have developed and a system for decades that is constantly not supporting these occupations in respect and financially. There is a negative connotation associated with these type of jobs that, once again, has been developed over decades in this country.

Go ask any parent of a 14 year old if they would be excited about their son or daughter becoming a plumber, electrician, hvac tech or something similar. The good parents will say "we just want them to be happy in their pursuits...." meanwhile they are constantly pushing them and encouraging them away from anything remotely related to these occupations.

And then alot of them go to church on sunday. Guess they forgot jesus was a carpenter.

additional comments:

9) may i use you as a reference for a possible article in pm magazine?

y/n

justin geraghty
                            project foreman
                            ph. 541/382-9210
                            cell. 541/408-2931
                            fax. 541/749-2707
                            gmi
                            geraghty mechanical inc.

j.c.

Comment

Originally posted by Justintheplumber View Post
                              Pipe Trades Survey

Name plumber rick

Years in trade summer vacation and weekends 1975-1980. full time since 1981

1) Are you satisfied with your current employment?

Yes, as i'm self employed

2) Are you actively looking for career opportunities outside of skilled labor?

no. you get what you pay for.

3)Are you associated with a labor union?

i was from 1981-1995

4) Are you optimistic about the future of the industry?

Yes. too many companies/ individuals looking to get rich quick

5) Are you fairly compensated for you effort?

Yes i am. others think not

6)Are Plumbers, in general, paid too much money?

Yes, most are. but the keepers are not.

7) As a nation why are/will we have difficulty encouraging young people to pursue a career in the trades?

it's not considered a glamorous job and the vocational arts are not taught in high school out here anymore.

Additional Comments:

times have changed since i first started out with my uncle in 1975. plumbers were skilled tradesmen and you were in it because it was a profession to be proud of.

now it seems like the new people coming in are not here for the career, but for the money. how fast you can get in and get rich without real skills.

9) May I use you as a reference for a possible article in PM Magazine?

sure, but i'm camera shy

Justin Geraghty
                              Project Foreman
                              Ph. 541/382-9210
                              Cell. 541/408-2931
                              Fax. 541/749-2707
                              GMI
                              GERAGHTY MECHANICAL INC.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...