X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tankless water heaters

The tankless installations I have done have been for people who need alot of hot water once or twice a day and not very much other times.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      illegal venting being the safety issue.

undersized gas line and undersized gas flex.

clearance to door/ window, air intakes.

recirc systems that didn't work or were piped back to the tankless.

no service/ flush valves.

control panel never installed.

rick.

Basically anything that can be f'd up you have seen with these types of installations..Sad
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Basically anything that can be f'd up you have seen with these types of installations..Sad
        even better when they've been inspected and passed

best was the 1/2'' gas line with the meter inlet and outlet that were reversed and passed. of cours i warned the new owner while i was there doing a sewer inspection. but it was inspected and city passed it.

of course, she called me back a couple months later and complained of lack of hot water volume and of course she never had a gas bill

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Supply house guys know everything just ask Lee H
          So today Im a supply house employee?

Now thats funny

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Is Mr Lee a distributor ? ..Here we go with the used car salesman speeches.. ..Oh and like I tell people that have gas and want one.."They work untill the lights go out , then it's cold shower time " Oh unless you have a back up generator
            No, but they can keep guessing or read a old post that I disclosed my profession

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              even better when they've been inspected and passed

best was the 1/2'' gas line with the meter inlet and outlet that were reversed and passed. of cours i warned the new owner while i was there doing a sewer inspection. but it was inspected and city passed it.

of course, she called me back a couple months later and complained of lack of hot water volume and of course she never had a gas bill

rick.
              I get u are not a fan of tankless but what if it was installed and fitted and sized properly how would you feel about them?
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

They really aren't what they're cracked up to be, especially the electric tankless. We get a lot of request for them, we do them, and occasionally, we have to go out and repair one. When I say repair, I mean get on the phone with customer support and press the buttons they tell us to. lol.
                Plumbing Solutions, LLC
                Plumber in S.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberinsc View Post
                  They really aren't what they're cracked up to be, especially the electric tankless. We get a lot of request for them, we do them, and occasionally, we have to go out and repair one. When I say repair, I mean get on the phone with customer support and press the buttons they tell us to. lol.
                  Sorry I should have been a tad bit more specific...I would never consider an electric one...but for my own house I have thought about either a propane powervent or tankless...there just is no market here for them...thats why I was wondering if a propane one was installed properly would it be worth it?
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I have not had much experience with the gas instants but I have not heard any bad things about them.

As far as the electric instants I have had a lot of bad experiences . I have had to replace a lot of the instant electric with normal tank electric because the instants brake down very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman plumber Tim View Post
                      I have not had much experience with the gas instants but I have not heard any bad things about them.

As far as the electric instants I have had a lot of bad experiences . I have had to replace a lot of the instant electric with normal tank electric because the instants brake down very fast.
                      I think I'm about to put one of these things in even though I've sat down with the homeowner, explained gas & electric tankless, showed GPM, went over traditional tank, etc. etc. etc.

Long story short, all of his research and experience trumps mine. So he has bought an electric tankless.

Can't wait to watch the lights dim in the neighborhood when it comes on.

J.C.

Comment

Funny this came up. I did an electric instantaneous heater today....for the 3rd time!

3 years ago found a fried electric tankless. Can't remember the manufacturer but it was all toast on the inside. Dispite my best sales pitch and charm they decided to go with another electric tankless instead of gas which was easily available. Company called S.E.T.S.

I replaced the 2nd one of those today (one was done under warranty)with a refurbished 22KW Hubbell unit. I actually like this unit It's fully programmable with regard to KW usage, flow rates and water temps. It'll even tell you how much you are spending in dollars for hot water

They say it's built with NASA technology I didn't realise NASA used Sharkbites on it's rockets This picture was taken right out of the box.

Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

S.E.T.S., Seisco, Bosch etc.......

We're gonna' have to set a separate 100+ AMP service on the one I'm at.

Spin Wheel! Spin!

J.C.

Comment

Said my incoming water temp was 38 degrees...does that sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Said my incoming water temp was 38 degrees...does that sound right?
                              It very well could be.

That's one of the problems with ALL tankless. Especially on retrofits. Nobody knows the real depth of their incoming water line and the temperature of the water running through it to calculate TRUE gpm.

We all know our frost line and where it's supposed to be. But I find the depths all over the place.

So the incoming can be running through a big refrigerator in the yard or under the street at a level that's shallower.

The incoming may overcome this "Fridge Effect" as it runs, but there's another delay, and ding against all tankless.

Lowest incoming I got at my house was 39 F this year. Spells of 45 F-55 F. Been checking several times throughout the winter.

J.C.

Comment

I installed a Bosch 240 FX (which is the Takagi TK1 sold as a Bosch I believe) for myself in the summer of 2003. It has been in full time use since then and I've never had any problems with it.

As far as installation - it requires an electric outlet nearby. Since I was replacing an electric tank I simply converted the outlet from a 240V to a 120V outlet. The home also intended a gas tank heater to be used so I was able to take advantage of the gas line nearby although I had to enlarge the pipe from 1/2" to 1". 3/4" is recommended but I went with 1". I could not use the 3" B-vent so I cut a hole in the wall for the direct venting and used 4" single wall vent. The heater install was inspected and approved by the city.

One other thing I did since we are in a hard water area was to provide access ports in the plumbing so that I could flush the heater exchanger with descaling solution using a drill pump and tubing. This worked well although I stopped doing it once I installed a water softener.

I personally have no complaints. I have used the shower with at least one or two major appliances running at the same time and the water temp and pressure stays fairly constant. Of course I'm in San Diego where the weather is mild so a TK1 works fine for my home.

They are very overpriced for sure but I got my unit at a good price and since I did the install myself cost was not a big deal. As far as routine maintenance not much is required. The burners are sealed so cleaning the flame sensor or burner is not required. The flow sensor needs to be cleaned from time to time but not much else.

Not sure why most people on here have had negative experiences with tankless heaters.

Comment

Working...
                                X