X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless water heaters

Ok ..who really like em' ..Are there any out there to stay away from. Are some easier to install than others? I have installed a couple with mixed feelings ..The venting always seems to be an issue. As well as having to run an oversized gas line .Usually these things are 200,000 btu or more..Personally I think they are way overpriced and a pain in the as* to install. And if you are really that pressed for space that must suck even more..Just lookin' for some feedback..Thanks
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Tankless water heaters

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne

Comment

Great responce there Mr Lee... Oh wait it was not.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Most folks here will agree with ya

Keep the thread going long enough and we will get sales reps in here from the brands that we bash telling us how we are wrong by reading from their own sales brochures...lol

I will start things off...

Navien are the biggest pieces POS's ever madeand Bosch is a close second!

Rinnai's and Noritz's kick a$$ though the Noritz is a bit pricey.

I have not installed / serviced a Takagi so I can't comment on them.

Comment

not a fan of them and therefore have only installed a few. have fixed dozens installed incorrectly by others.

too much hype about them and not enough results.

95% of the time a tank heater is the right call.

wait until theses tankless go unserviced like 90% of the tank heaters and see what happens.

people sell them and push them too much for the money and work.

read the dozens of threads on tankless and draw your own conclusions.

a factory tankless rep told me several years ago that "tankless are for tree huggers"

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
            ''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
            Supply house guys know everything just ask Lee H

Comment

Did a takagi sp? couple years ago. So far so good. I did not like the venting material . You are limited to the pipe and fittings that you cannot shorten / cut/ alter ..that sucked big time . Have someone else inquiring about one now ..Whole house is elec. wants to install a propane system and a tankless unit..Must have deep pockets ..I do not even try to sell em' ..I cant fix em' if they break down so don't be calling me when it doesn't work..

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Supply house guys know everything just ask Lee H
                Is Mr Lee a distributor ? ..Here we go with the used car salesman speeches.. ..Oh and like I tell people that have gas and want one.."They work untill the lights go out , then it's cold shower time " Oh unless you have a back up generator
                Last edited by OLD1; 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

As a point of use appliance an on demand water heater makes sense. A good example is a pool house with the wh on a common wall with the bathroom. Short run to all fixtures and no standby loss when not in use (which can be weeks at a time in a pool house). However, if I had to change out a conventional water heater in my pool house, I would not go with a tankless heater if it meant running a Cat III flue and new gas line. One could grow very old waiting for the return on that investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    As a point of use appliance an on demand water heater makes sense. A good example is a pool house with the wh on a common wall with the bathroom. Short run to all fixtures and no standby loss when not in use (which can be weeks at a time in a pool house). However, if I had to change out a conventional water heater in my pool house, I would not go with a tankless heater if it meant running a Cat III flue and new gas line. One could grow very old waiting for the return on that investment.
                    Good point . Like you mentioned if you have a pool house that needs an auxillary unit then maybe that would be the thing to install..But to go from a conventional elec. water heater to one of those and have to install a gas system to boot..Again someone has deep pockets I guess..we'll see what he decides

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      Good point . Like you mentioned if you have a pool house that needs an auxillary unit then maybe that would be the thing to install..But to go from a conventional elec. water heater to one of those and have to install a gas system to boot..Again someone has deep pockets I guess..we'll see what he decides
                      I've ran a Rinnai through a UPS to solve that power outage problem. Available at any Wal-mart

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                        I've ran a Rinnai through a UPS to solve that power outage problem. Available at any Wal-mart

Oh yeah , some actually come with a battery back up..I am thinking Navian

Comment

the eternal is a good set up put one in at rental that saves 75 a month on pooled electric on main house with guest house and can recirc.. to internal tank..

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            not a fan of them and therefore have only installed a few. have fixed dozens installed incorrectly by others.

too much hype about them and not enough results.

95% of the time a tank heater is the right call.

wait until theses tankless go unserviced like 90% of the tank heaters and see what happens.

people sell them and push them too much for the money and work.

read the dozens of threads on tankless and draw your own conclusions.

a factory tankless rep told me several years ago that "tankless are for tree huggers"

rick.
                            Rick what was the biggest issue as far as installation you have had to go back on..Gas sizing , flue issues, etc..just curious...Yeah we all know noone maintains things like water heaters till they crap out ..Then it's code red time

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                              Rick what was the biggest issue as far as installation you have had to go back on..Gas sizing , flue issues, etc..just curious...Yeah we all know noone maintains things like water heaters till they crap out ..Then it's code red time
                              illegal venting being the safety issue.

undersized gas line and undersized gas flex.

clearance to door/ window, air intakes.

recirc systems that didn't work or were piped back to the tankless.

no service/ flush valves.

control panel never installed.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X