Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help please looking for tank fill valve that works on low pressure

Originally posted by journeyman plumber Tim View Post
    the only ficture they have is a water closet fed by a storage tank . there are no other fixtures hose bibbs faucets or anything they can drink out of.
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

mark asked #7 up the page. how you got the water? how do you get 5 psi of pressure? any ballcock will work. how aggressive is the water? if its going to attack brass you might wont to consider that. at 5 psi it will be awhile between flushes. lol. breid..............

Comment

If you have a water closet your suppose to have a lavatory for handwashing. 5 psi will not operate the fixtures properly. I think what the O.P. is doing would not meet any plumbing codes minimum standards.

Comment

the plane old fashion hose bib will work good on gravity feed systems,

I have a frost proof 3 foot bury hose faucet, that is about 3000 feet from the storage tank, and on a 1" poly pipe, and it will fill a five gallon bucket in about 2 Min's, and there is no pressure boost, only gravity feed, and is with in 15 of level of the house, no it is not a blast of water but it is water and a fair flow for what no more than 9 pounds of pressure 3000 feet away, I can fill stock tanks of 300 gallons with it easily,

the trick on low pressure is to use valves and pipe that will flow a good flow, like hose bibs,

on most old farm steads that were gravity feed they had the old hose bib faucets on fixtures, some times just a galvanized pipe up through the counter an a 90 ell and the faucet, they worked well, with a fair volume,

If one chooses to use a modern faucet, the larger inter passages you can find the better, and pull out any flow restrictors, but a old rubber washer faucet will work well on low pressure,

the old type "Wall Mount Kitchen Faucet" works well also if you take out the restrictors,
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BHD; 02-05-2011, 08:41 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Where do you work? (Don't have to make it too personal)

The reason I ask is that you have some interesting questions so far that you have stated pertain to your occupation.

"The person in quality control wants me to check on these plumbers"....."The boss doesn't want to put the pumps back in operation in this building..."

"Only 5 psi of water pressure...."

These add up to some "interesting" operations.

Thanks for any information.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              the plane old fashion hose bib will work good on gravity feed systems,

I have a frost proof 3 foot bury hose faucet, that is about 3000 feet from the storage tank, and on a 1" poly pipe, and it will fill a five gallon bucket in about 2 Min's, and there is no pressure boost, only gravity feed, and is with in 15 of level of the house, no it is not a blast of water but it is water and a fair flow for what no more than 9 pounds of pressure 3000 feet away, I can fill stock tanks of 300 gallons with it easily,

the trick on low pressure is to use valves and pipe that will flow a good flow, like hose bibs,

on most old farm steads that were gravity feed they had the old hose bib faucets on fixtures, some times just a galvanized pipe up through the counter an a 90 ell and the faucet, they worked well, with a fair volume,

If one chooses to use a modern faucet, the larger inter passages you can find the better, and pull out any flow restrictors, but a old rubber washer faucet will work well on low pressure,

the old type "Wall Mount Kitchen Faucet" works well also if you take out the restrictors,
              I am the President of a small community water company I helped developed. It is about 5-miles from one end to the other and picks up homes and resorts along the way. The source is a spring and the only pump in the system is a 12 volt piston driven chlorinating pump. Our lowest pressure is 39 psi and the highest is just under 80 psi. Because our demand is increasing we will be adding a well but it has been nice keeping it off of the grid.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I will only say that I do not work for a private company .

Comment

You work at a public place with illegal plumbing facilities that the boss refuses to correct.

Not sure what anyone could offer as ideas.

You're best bet is to gauge the PSI. Then contact some fill valve manufacturers and ask them about PSI requirements for their products.

J.C.

Comment

My guess is that ol' Tim, here, works for either a municipality,
                    utility, or development co. and that his boss is concerned with
                    only the cost of maintenance. Tim's probably stuck with having
                    to fix every plumbing problem that arises without the support
                    or resources that would facilitate his success, because his
                    boss's goal is to save money, not to make it.

Comment

I'm guessing this is a remote water closet close to an airport tarmac and he is a service plumber at the airport.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Why not use a 5 gal. drywall bucket to flush ? It,s all Your JERK Associates deserve !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

why would he need any pressure at all? the float shuts it off. the float either floats or it don't pressure has absolutely nothing to do with it. stick the float in a bucket of water no pressure there. it floats. 5 psi in 3/8" line could make for a slow day. i think biggie and utah are spot on. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                            why would he need any pressure at all? the float shuts it off. the float either floats or it don't pressure has absolutely nothing to do with it. stick the float in a bucket of water no pressure there. it floats. 5 psi in 3/8" line could make for a slow day. i think biggie and utah are spot on. breid..............
                            A ballcock will 5psi will not deliver enough or any water to refill the bowl.

Comment

Why don't you fix the real problem? Install a new pump,as a licenced master plumber i'm not going to give advice on jury rigging a toilet.

Comment

Maintenance person looking for advice. Call a licensed plumber.

Comment

Working...
                                X