X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with unlicensed plumbers .

in my opinion you should keep the indirect waste from a soda fountain dispensing machine as short as possible . I think the receptor drain should be at least 2 inch . where I work there are a lot of unlicensed plumbers . I have come across a soda fountain dispensing receptor drain ran in 3/4" using water supply 1/4 bends 20' long and ending two foot from a floor drain . to me this seems like a horrible idea . I have had a lot of experience with these drains clogging up due to the syrup.

the person in quality control has asked for my help in dealing with these plumbers. unfortunately we have to deal with the IPC.

please share your experiences with soda fountain dispensing drains, indirect wastes and receptor drains .

Re: problems with unlicensed plumbers .

Dude whats even better? Here most soda companies install the drain and run it in 1/2" tubing up and down over and around to a floor drain...then cram it in to the trap....job security for us to come in and redo and unclog!!!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

A gallon of boiling water and shazzam syrup gone
      sigpic

Comment

it is a 20 foot run with 5 turns ending two foot from a floor drain. would the boiling water make it through all that ?

Comment

Have faith
          sigpic

Comment

so your saying that is the correct way to run that drain?

Comment

Nope, probably was the cheapest and easiest way to run the drain and ain't that what it's all about? Get Er Done and let someone else deal with the problems later
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman plumber Tim View Post
                in my opinion you should keep the indirect waste from a soda fountain dispensing machine as short as possible . I think the receptor drain should be at least 2 inch . where I work there are a lot of unlicensed plumbers . I have come across a soda fountain dispensing receptor drain ran in 3/4" using water supply 1/4 bends 20' long and ending two foot from a floor drain . to me this seems like a horrible idea . I have had a lot of experience with these drains clogging up due to the syrup.

the person in quality control has asked for my help in dealing with these plumbers. unfortunately we have to deal with the IPC.

please share your experiences with soda fountain dispensing drains, indirect wastes and receptor drains .
                IPC, UPC, ABC, or 123 has nothing to do with it. Remember, all codes are a minimum standard. There is nothing prohibiting one from going above the minimum standard.

J.C.

Comment

Could you explain this further?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

The person in quality control is trying to make the person that installed the drain change it . The person in quality control does not know the IPC. I only have a copy of the 2006 IPC. I know the upc states the minimum for low flow receptor drains is inch and a half. I can not find anything in the IPC about sizes of receptor drains. the only thing I can find is minimum trap sizes . If the person who installed the drain tries to get away with running the indirect waste 25 feet through six 3/4 " water supply ninety's . what does the IPC say about maximum length of soda fountain dispensing indirect wastes other than that they have to be trapped ? if it has to be trapped minimum trap size is 1 and 1 quarter inch . which means the rest of the drain must stay 1 1/4". it would be better if we could find something in the IPC that said the drain had to the bigger.

it would also help if we could show that a lot of professional plumbers suggest a bigger drain .

Comment

The receptor itself must be large enough to handle the total discharge of the fixture without overflow. The only trap there should be is the one below the receptor. There is no specified length for the length of the drain to the receptor but common sense practice and best method should rule the day.
                      sigpic

Comment

JC's right...code is minimal...so only you have the knowledge and power to do better than code...and I tell you this, there is a small amount of extra cost to do something way better for you and your customers to get wonderful benefits!
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The biggest problem with unlicensed plumbers (or any licensed trade for that matter), is that they don't get turned in when they are discovered. They only do you and the public a disservice. They will make you money in that you will get a job correcting their work. But overall they drag the reputation of the trade down. I guess that's easy for me to say since I am no longer out there working and living off my retirement savings, but I still believe its true.

Here (NJ) the Master Plumbers Association is pretty active in tracking down unlicensed plumbers.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The person in quality control is trying to make the person that installed the drain change it . The person in quality control does not know the IPC. I only have a copy of the 2006 IPC. I know the upc states the minimum for low flow receptor drains is inch and a half. I can not find anything in the IPC about sizes of receptor drains. the only thing I can find is minimum trap sizes . If the person who installed the drain tries to get away with running the indirect waste 25 feet through six 3/4 " water supply ninety's . what does the IPC say about maximum length of soda fountain dispensing indirect wastes other than that they have to be trapped ? if it has to be trapped minimum trap size is 1 and 1 quarter inch . which means the rest of the drain must stay 1 1/4". it would be better if we could find something in the IPC that said the drain had to the bigger.

it would also help if we could show that a lot of professional plumbers suggest a bigger drain .

Maybe I'm wrong, but your post description has an air of mystery to it.

"The person in quality control......" "dealing with these plumbers....."

Are you a licensed plumber working for a company that has contracted another plumbing company for work on a project? Just trying to understand.

As far as the fountain drains, I'm not sure it becomes plumbing until it hits the receptor. (Been awhile since a soda fountain under IPC for me, didn't do many in the past anyway, and can't find my current book right now. )

Your best bet would be to contact the local plumbing inspector and/or the state board for anything directly addressed by the code.

If code is met, inspections passed, and contract fulfilled, it does not matter that someone wants it changed. And you cannot make them change it even if it is a better way.

With that said, it can be changed provided it still meets any minimum requirement. The person or company questioning the installation will have to pay for it though. And honestly, they should have to pay for it & would seem willing too.

Example: There is a minimum insulation requirement for dwellings here. If I have something built and that minimum is met by the code & contract/agreement, then I have no right to ask the insulation contractor to come in and install more insulation even if it is proven superior. I can pay more to have it improved upon the code minimum, and if it's what I want, should gladly do so.

Make any sense?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              The receptor itself must be large enough to handle the total discharge of the fixture without overflow. The only trap there should be is the one below the receptor. There is no specified length for the length of the drain to the receptor but common sense practice and best method should rule the day.
                              2006 IPC states all indirect waste piping that exceeds two feet in developed length measured horizontally ,or 4 feet in total developed length,shall be trapped . so you would have a trap on the indirect waste and on the receptor drain connecting to the sanitary sewer . UPC is 5 foot in total developed length except for ice maker drains.

the person they put the 3/4" diameter 20 foot long receptor drain does not have common sense when it comes to plumbing .

Comment

Working...
                              X