This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 Valve to Pressure Balance Conversion

Reminds me of my stay at county lockup... Looking good though!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Here, if a tub drain has nuts and gaskets there is suppose to be an access panel by code anyways. But yet most new construction and inspectors violate this code all the time.

I find that most homes from the 70's and 80's in my area have access panels, so it's rarely an issue from homes in those decades.

However, I'm opening up the wall 10 times out of 10 if I'm sticking a flame in the wall. I don't need Action News there because I started a fire, because I was trying to impress someone.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        Here's some real bending for ya. No dings here.

HansGrohe Thermobalance III. So there are outlets for body sprays, a shower head (Actually two) and a handheld sprayer. I wanted to use as few fittings as possible to improve water flow, and reduce noise.

Nice work and no dings but enough solder to do it twice.

Comment

HansGrohe Thermobalance III. So there are outlets for body sprays, a shower head (Actually two) and a handheld sprayer. I wanted to use as few fittings as possible to improve water flow, and reduce noise.
          I'm familiar with pressure loops. Can you explain the reasoning behind the loop into the same line?

Don't know if I understand it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I SEE IT NOW. LIKE A WHERE'S WALDO FOR BODY SPRAYS.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

If you look at your pic.....the valve in the wall does not appear to be straight. Compared to the 2x4 next to it that the 180 bend follows up and the 2x4 across the room form the valve. The valve is leaning to the left in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              Here, if a tub drain has nuts and gaskets there is suppose to be an access panel by code anyways. But yet most new construction and inspectors violate this code all the time.

I find that most homes from the 70's and 80's in my area have access panels, so it's rarely an issue from homes in those decades.

However, I'm opening up the wall 10 times out of 10 if I'm sticking a flame in the wall. I don't need Action News there because I started a fire, because I was trying to impress someone.
              I like an access panel. But, like many I've ran into weird situations on the back. Tile on the backside. A T-Wall meeting there. Water heater in the closet.

Probably everyone on the Forum can easily do a valve from the front.

Copper has to be in decent shape.
              Tub Spout & Shower Arm have to come off.
              Take a spray bottle and wet everything. Keep the spray bottle nearby.
              Piece of sheetmetal or one of those plumbers/welders cloths helps too.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                If you look at your pic.....the valve in the wall does not appear to be straight. Compared to the 2x4 next to it that the 180 bend follows up and the 2x4 across the room form the valve. The valve is leaning to the left in the picture.
                Could be. I've had some Grohe that if you put the valve in straight, level, and square..... the handle would not be straight in the off position on any gear.

Tweaked for this?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Everyone believes that you did not notice it.

J.C.
                  Yup,sure aah-huh.
                  This is a great place to hang with the other perfectly flawless plumber types.
                  Crack me up.
                  Some live what mommy told her little plumber."You're the best Sweety"

Comment

I'm familiar with pressure loops. Can you explain the reasoning behind the loop into the same line?

Don't know if I understand it.

Thanks.

J.C.
                    His loop is not balanced. it comes out of the valve then tee's and each of the supply lines from the tee,each connect to tee's in the ONE pipe that serves the two functions........The lenght of pipe between each function from those tees will dictate which one will get more water. If one of those function feeds was really short and the other long you would notice it.....its not balanced.

Comment

His loop is not balanced. it comes out of the valve then tee's and each of the supply lines from the tee,each connect to tee's in the ONE pipe that serves the two functions........The lenght of pipe between each function from those tees will dictate which one will get more water. If one of those function feeds was really short and the other long you would notice it.....its not balanced.
                      Understood. I've put that valve in. Been awhile.

I've seen sprays put in that weren't directly in the loop if you know what I mean (similar to what's done here) that worked fine without a noticeable difference.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Yup,sure aah-huh.
                        This is a great place to hang with the other perfectly flawless plumber types.
                        Crack me up.
                        Some live what mommy told her little plumber."You're the best Sweety"
                        Over-Posting a bit here, but I did just want to say while different than what I've often seen and done, I recognize what Geno work on this is not easy and also the effort to improve on what's normally done.

At least here you will almost never see a gradual bend on 1/2"+ as he's done and TheMaster showed earlier.

It would seem to be a superior way of doing things.

J.C.

Comment

I like an access panel. But, like many I've ran into weird situations on the back. Tile on the backside. A T-Wall meeting there. Water heater in the closet.

Probably everyone on the Forum can easily do a valve from the front.

Copper has to be in decent shape.
                          Tub Spout & Shower Arm have to come off.
                          Take a spray bottle and wet everything. Keep the spray bottle nearby.
                          Piece of sheetmetal or one of those plumbers/welders cloths helps too.

J.C.
                          You would be surprised how many Plumbers in my area that don't fasten the rough in valves, which makes replacement through the front hole a b*tch. Normally when I take that handle and plate off, I hear a piece of wood fall and hit the floor behind the tub..lol.

Or the tile guy who thinks it's funny leaving just enough room to get the plate screws on and cartridge body through the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            You would be surprised how many Plumbers in my area that don't fasten the rough in valves, which makes replacement through the front hole a b*tch. Normally when I take that handle and plate off, I hear a piece of wood fall and hit the floor behind the tub..lol.

Or the tile guy who thinks it's funny leaving just enough room to get the plate screws on and cartridge body through the wall.
                            Yep, yep. Been there. Piece of wood dropping. I know that sound!

I can also identify the sound of a head hitting a floor joist from 20 paces.

J.C.

Comment

Over-Posting a bit here, but I did just want to say while different than what I've often seen and done, I recognize what Geno work on this is not easy and also the effort to improve on what's normally done.

At least here you will almost never see a gradual bend on 1/2"+ as he's done and TheMaster showed earlier.

It would seem to be a superior way of doing things.

J.C.
                              Thanks JC. My son was about six months away from coming home from the Army and Iraq when I was rehabbing the condo for him. Since he had gotten kidney stones from not having enough drinking water available I figured I would do what I could to ensure he got enough water out of all his fixtures. I don't normally go to quite that extent with the bender. Although I do use the benders a great deal.

T.M. I put in another pic for you. Hopefully in this one you will be able to see for yourself that the valve is straight. If you think I would mount a valve crookedly for my hero, or anyone else for that matter, you are wrong. Regarding the balancing of the body spray loops I realize the lines to the spray heads aren't identical in length, but the difference is in straight pipe not elbows so the relative difference is not nearly as great as if I had all equal lengths of pipe but had one more 90 in the line. Moreover, the Hansgrohe shower valve puts out more water than the combined flow rate of the three body sprays so functionally the body sprays all operate the same. Perhaps you would like a video of this?

Best of all. No dings.
                              Attached Files
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Here is the 2nd one....You saw the girls bath 1st......now the blue boys bath
                                are those 90s with solder in the ridge?

u like those flux and heat 90s?

Comment

Working...
                                X