X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing machine valves

I'm almost out of the washing machine valves that I like to use, and I found out that the company no longer makes the style I liked. I was using this style valve from the IPS corporation,

because I could either install it in a washer box that was already in place, or unscrew the top of the valve and screw it into a FIP adapter if I needed to.

The new valves they make are a rough brass that the top doesn't unscrew, which means I'd have to carry more styles of valves on the truck.

Does any company make a valve that is similar to the one in the picture?

Re: Washing machine valves

Try Oatey

Comment

Sioux Chief
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

my vote is oatey as well...looks alot like em...
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Those valves are defective in my state, and the stems snap off and cause 1000's in damage to my customers homes.

I called out the rep on this at a convention, me and 2 other plumbers took him out back and rearranged his future.

He then admitted to the defect and stated the changes were made to solve the issue.

That stem for some reason is flattened like a blade inside of the valve, and when calcium builds up it will cause a failure, handle flys off and it's below the embedded O-ring on the stem, the 0-ring that's keeping the water from coming through.

The above picture is the fix for those defective valves, and I remove about 25 sets of those a year.

Pay attention to the date on that approval sticker in that washer box. 2004.

7 years and they snap off in the customer's hands.
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I actually know the Engineer from Oatey who holds the patent on the laundry boxes. When we were having problems with a project that had Oatey boxes I made a call to Ohio and he was on a plane in a matter of days.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here are some made by Oatey.
              http://www.hardwareworld.com/14turn-...e-pN7NTA5.aspx

I usually stub down through the box leaving a 1/2 FIP adapter in the box to screw a boiler drain into. Easy future replcements without wall cutting.

Comment

There are thousands of those valves installed in my town out here (many of them by me), and I have never seen a problem with them like in your picture. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I have never seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I actually know the Engineer from Oatey who holds the patent on the laundry boxes. When we were having problems with a project that had Oatey boxes I made a call to Ohio and he was on a plane in a matter of days.

Mark
                  Aaannndd.....What???

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    Here are some made by Oatey.
                    http://www.hardwareworld.com/14turn-...e-pN7NTA5.aspx

I usually stub down through the box leaving a 1/2 FIP adapter in the box to screw a boiler drain into. Easy future replcements without wall cutting.
                    I run 1/2" into the box and throw away the valves that come with it.
                    Ask Rookie Plumber,just did one at his old neighbors house.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                      There are thousands of those valves installed in my town out here (many of them by me), and I have never seen a problem with them like in your picture. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I have never seen it.
                      We had a bunch here do it in homes without water softeners...don't think its a coincidence but?????
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Thanks all. I was not aware of this problem.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                          That's one of the big reasons I like those shut off valves. These valves have the FIP adapter built into them, so you can do a replacement without opening the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                            That's one of the big reasons I like those shut off valves. These valves have the FIP adapter built into them, so you can do a replacement without opening the wall.
                            So you can do quick replacements by robbing the top part of the valve? if your installing new box you can buy jjust the box with the rubber gommets an then use fip adapters insdie the box then screw in a boiler drain.

Comment

No, I almost never have to replace a washing machine box. I can replace the bibs down the line without having to open the wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X