Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Something NOT Made In China

Here ya go!!!
    Attached Files
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Hey Something NOT Made In China

I had a problem trying to find something not made in china today.

The shoemobile was at the jobsite today. The workforce is large enough that they are there for 8 hours. I happened by this morning and thought I could use a new pair of work boots so I went in and looked around. Found a nice pair of Converse work boots, 6" lightweight with composite toes and EH rated (Electrical Hazard). They had my size 10.5 Wide so I tried them on and they fit nice. I said I'll take them and as they were ringing them up I am looking them over and checked the tongue tag for the ANSI standard (which is now an ASTM standard). They met the standard but at the bottom of the tag it says; "MADE IN CHINA". I asked are all the Converse shoes made in china? YES was the answer. "DO you have anything on this truck that is made int he USA?" NO was the answer I got.
    By now he is half way through ringing me up and I said; "I'll have to cancel this sale. I need to find some boots made in America." He says he understands and cancels the sale. He wasn't upset or anything just took it in stride. I guess they get that more than once in a while. You would think they would carry something Made in the USA on the truck when you visit a worksite with over 2000 workers on it. It's a good bet I would think that there will be more than just me that wants a boot Made in the USA.
    Guess I will have to wait for the Red Wing truck so show up in 2 weeks.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have seen a bunch of fixtures made in Mexico too. American Standard I think. (mexi-standard now)

Comment

They have been South American standard for close to two decades.

Comment

I thought TOTO was made in Japan....boy even those guys outsource???
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

The shoemobile was at the jobsite today. The workforce is large enough that they are there for 8 hours. I happened by this morning and thought I could use a new pair of work boots so I went in and looked around. Found a nice pair of Converse work boots, 6" lightweight with composite toes and EH rated (Electrical Hazard). They had my size 10.5 Wide so I tried them on and they fit nice. I said I'll take them and as they were ringing them up I am looking them over and checked the tongue tag for the ANSI standard (which is now an ASTM standard). They met the standard but at the bottom of the tag it says; "MADE IN CHINA". I asked are all the Converse shoes made in china? YES was the answer. "DO you have anything on this truck that is made int he USA?" NO was the answer I got.
            By now he is half way through ringing me up and I said; "I'll have to cancel this sale. I need to find some boots made in America." He says he understands and cancels the sale. He wasn't upset or anything just took it in stride. I guess they get that more than once in a while. You would think they would carry something Made in the USA on the truck when you visit a worksite with over 2000 workers on it. It's a good bet I would think that there will be more than just me that wants a boot Made in the USA.
            Bob,

A while back when I was in Red Wing, Mn they were saying Red Wing was starting to send some production overseas. I believe some shoes are still made here but I don't think all of them are. (Unless they changed their minds.)

I've worn Irish Setters for decades, and have a new box of them in my closet just waiting for the day.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I was pleased to find that the Toto Guinevere model is made in the USA. I think there's a few other Toto models made in USA as well. Guinevere works well, but it's a little pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                Bob,

A while back when I was in Red Wing, Mn they were saying Red Wing was starting to send some production overseas. I believe some shoes are still made here but I don't think all of them are. (Unless they changed their minds.)

I've worn Irish Setters for decades, and have a new box of them in my closet just waiting for the day.
                You are right, Red Wing, Carolina, and others make some of their shoes overseas. But I will continue to make the extra effort to help put Americans to work or to keep them working. If I don't have a choice and only foreign made products are available of well, But where an American made product that is well made is available I will choose it over others when ever possible.

But at the same time I won't buy American made junk or poor quality just because its made here. Made in the USA is not an automatic sale for me, you've got to have a quality product too.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Last pair of Red Wings I bought were crap, lasted 6 mos instead of the 3-5 years I used to get. Thorogood boots still made in the USA for me now.

Comment

Don't forget Mansfield is made in America and a good toilet. No it is not the best but come on for the money it works fine and the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      don't forget mansfield is made in america and a good toilet. No it is not the best but come on for the money it works fine and the price is right.

Say it is'nt so.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Our toilets should not be made by countries that don't use toilets!

Comment

Last week the Red Wing show mobile was at the job and I found a nice pair of 6" boots with composite toes that are Made in the USA. So for $154.00 (ouch!) I bought them. Tax deductible as work required safety equipment but still expensive. The Chinese boots I almost bought last month were $104 IIRC, so cheaper but not by a lot.

Anyway. I was telling the guy about my canceled purchase (below) and he told me in a recent communication from Red Wing they said they are working on bringing almost all their shoe manufacturing back to the USA over the next 5 years. I said that would be great if it happens but seems like a tall order. He said he gets lots of requests for the US made shoes and boots and even though they currently represent about 25% of their product selection they account for close to 35% of sales which he says shows there is a demand for US made boots and shoes. I hope he is right and I hope this is the beginning of a trend that continues to grow and spreads to other products. I know at the place I currently work they try to purchase everything Made in the US. That includes pipe, fittings, valves, pipe supports, steel shapes like plate, angle, tube steel, etc. And on to motors, instrumentation, wire and cable, electrical fittings, and on and on. Yeah we pay a lot more but the people that are buying their product (electricity) live and work here so it only makes sense to reciprocate and buy the products they make so they can remain gainfully employed.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Working...
                          X