Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New apprentice hired

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me .You get the tax break on the property . The help get's a job and a nice place to live..And trust me he might think twice about work performance knowing his job and place to live are on the line everyday..
    Well the object is to give him more without it costing me more or pricing him out of a job...I would get a tax break also. Plus I can get the property dirt cheap right now...its a good investment even if the plan with the apprentice falls apart.....I still could move another apprentice into it.

How many guys would jump at the chance to have a nice place paid for and 15.00 an hour while learning a trade? I think ALOT.

I would hafta make an investment of about 10 grand the house like I would want it. It needs new baths,doors,paint inside and a new kitchen. the A.c. was replaced last year and looks great....good company installed it. I dont care if it didn't have any plumbing..infact i would like it so i didn't hafta rip it out. major expenses with rental homes is the Hvac system and the plumbing.......the wiring is copper with grounded plugs..200 amp service. No problems.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

If things go well and the kid gets his license I could sell him the house if he wanted it or turn it into our office. Tax breaks all the way around.

I'm going house hunting in a minute...I found one already but I need to keep shopping....its about 70 degrees and the sky is bright blue. I always wanted to be a slumlord

Comment

Yep, I hired 3 plumbers in the last 4 weeks and all were let go for various reasons, the main reason was they were slobs, so we decided to hire an apprentice with some plumbing exp an train him our way, our way is not anything special, just we cover floors and clean when we leave, not to much to ask a new guy to do, espically when you are paying him alot of money ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hulihan View Post
          Yep, I hired 3 plumbers in the last 4 weeks and all were let go for various reasons, the main reason was they were slobs, so we decided to hire an apprentice with some plumbing exp an train him our way, our way is not anything special, just we cover floors and clean when we leave, not to much to ask a new guy to do, espically when you are paying him alot of money ?
          Its not even worth the F'n time to show anyone where things even go on the truck anymore. Once they realize they are of any help they either want the world or wont work.

Inconsistant F'n dope heads or mamas boys who want a check handed to them for nothing. F the F'n world

Most people are in the financial situations they are in for the repeated bad choices they have made in their life.....but that becomes the employers burden in the eyes of the employee. There is a lack of taking responsibility for ones actions in America and its taught from youth by either their parents or the goverment willing to give them what NEED to sustain life.

The goverment also is paying people to have babies......its F'n sick and it should be stopped.

Welfare has F'd up the work force in America.....no wonder people hire illegal aliens....THEY WORK.

Comment

While house hunting I found a polybutylene gas line going into a concrete slab. WTF

Comment

You guys need to start hiring Mainers!

Yeah, we talk kinda' funny, but most over 25 can work like dogs.

my buddy left for Florida on the 5th. On the 10th he had two job offers and took one. He starts Tuesday when his p test comes back.

His GF's family/friends told him he wouldn't find work as there is none, but he got up and out by 6:30am and pounded the pavement.

Apparently down there most places are strictly 40hr work week with no OT, so he's already looking for a part time job.

The whole waiting on the p test results is odd for us to. Around here the boss man asks "are you going to pi$$ clean"?

Worker: "yep"!

Boss man: "OK, grab your gear and get to work".
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I dunno Gene, out of 16 hired last year only one remains
                sigpic

Comment

Typically, I've found that 3/4ths of new hires can't see past Friday. If they don't make an effort to learn the trade within three months I consider them short timers. Just my opinion.
                  Master, if you are going to be a slum lord you are going to need several properties. you will always have a percentage vacant/not paying.
                  Mike

Comment

I know some guys in the roofing business...they tell me it's the worst for finding good people. They work enough to get a check (cheque in Canada) then head off to drink their pay away.....after a few days they call back for more work....it's a continuous cycle in that business apparently. The job is dirty and hard for the roof strippers on top of high pitched 3 storey 100 year old homes in the old City of Toronto, ripping off 3-4 layers of shingles with a fork, in heat and cold. Someone's gotta do it- but for that level of education, the pay isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      I have a family member who has just lost their third secretary in six months. There are specific reasons they each left. They are all the same reasons. Several of the family could tell this family member why they are leaving but they absolutely would not listen. So why start a fuss?

There's an old saying in the stock market that we will continue to make the same mistakes untill WE learn the lesson. I think this saying applies to life as well.

I've learned that I don't communicate well enough with people I hire. How can I tell? Because even though I think I've been clear about what I want I keep getting similar failed responses from different people. The only reasonable conclusion is that I need to change how I try to communicate. The fact is I believe the people I have who work with me would try and do the job right if they can. So, I must be at least part of the problem. It's my company so it's up to me to try and solve the problem to be successful.

Long winded way of saying 1 out of 16? It may not be entirely all them?
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Yeah, but you're south of Augusta. Up here we consider that "the other Maine"

You have to find some boys from the WOODS not be confused with the hoods.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Gotta agree with Geno on this one. If your going 1 for 16 on hires you either need to look a little closer at the hires, i.e., do they have a pulse and are they sober at the interview. Or has he stated earlier it may be partly an organizational or leadership issue.
                          Former employer rolled through guys like most people change underwear. Everyone of them was a useless piece of crap and would never amount to anything. Lazy, incompetent, unable to follow the simplest order. Strangely several of them are now foreman and leads for far larger and infinitely more successful companies. Sure there are guys that aren't worth a the air they breath but as a wise wise man once told me, Sure the brakes on that car might be defective causing them to wear out so soon or it might just be that the guy in the seat needs to learn how to drive.

Comment

15 bucks an hour ain't that much of an incentive to hang around either these days. Even though you are teaching them a trade and giving them a foundation to build a career on, they don't see it that way. All they know is that they can't live on 15 bucks an hour.
                            sigpic

Comment

15 bucks an hour ain't that much of an incentive to hang around either these days. Even though you are teaching them a trade and giving them a foundation to build a career on, they don't see it that way. All they know is that they can't live on 15 bucks an hour.

I think "atmosphere" is important. I've learned that, apparently, I'm a fairly demanding person. I expect things to be done a certain way, even if it cuts down on my profit and is a pain in the butt to do. It used to be that I would be rather blunt and matter of fact about what I wanted and the "why" of it. I would find myself getting frustrated and let these people go although I did have one kid quit.

I've learned I get better results if I restrain my natural inclinations and explain things in a very gentle, non threatening, manner. I try to be logical and non accusatory. It can be difficult. The thing is, if I believe the employee is actually trying and doing their best, I want to maintain that attitude as much as possible and make them feel appreciated. Which they are. Usually.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                can you teach an old dog new tricks

rick.
                                You can if you feed him enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X