Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New apprentice hired

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    15 bucks an hour ain't that much of an incentive to hang around either these days. Even though you are teaching them a trade and giving them a foundation to build a career on, they don't see it that way. All they know is that they can't live on 15 bucks an hour.
    True, there's lots of short sightedness...... but it seems a lot of the same folx can't live without the basic necessities like full package cable, high speed internet, three gaming systems and a fast LAN, late model car and or truck, and eating out most of the time..........

If work don't pick up and my UI runs out, you better believe I'll be out busting *** for $15/hour getting to learn a new trade...... hell I'm dumb enough to think that might be fun. And I could live on it too........ mortgage, bills, wife and all........... just wouldn't be as comfortable.

Comment

here you go right from LU130
      Apprentices: wages welfare pension education legal service
      (1st six months) $14.95 $5.56 $8.34 $1.13 $.63
      (2nd six months) $16.30 " " " "
      2nd year $19.35 " " " "
      3rd year $22.00 " " " " working due
      4th year $29.05 $10.66 $8.34 $1.13 $.63 $.24
      5th year $33.00 $10.66 $8.34 $1.13 $ .63$.24
      $1.50 for journyman $1.00 for apt after 6 months mind you we are the highest paied UA in chicago land but the worst pesion to retier on 100% of incurence is paid for provided by UA
      Last edited by post plumber; 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM.
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
        here you go right from LU130
        Apprentices: wages welfare pension education legal service
        (1st six months) $14.95 $5.56 $8.34 $1.13 $.63
        (2nd six months) $16.30 " " " "
        2nd year $19.35 " " " "
        3rd year $22.00 " " " " working due
        4th year $29.05 $10.66 $8.34 $1.13 $.63 $.24
        5th year $33.00 $10.66 $8.34 $1.13 $ .63$.24
        $1.50 for journyman $1.00 for apt after 6 months mind you we are the highest paied UA in chicago land but the worst pesion to retier on 100% of incurence is paid for provided by UA
        man when I typed it I had every thing spaced
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          I think "atmosphere" is important. I've learned that, apparently, I'm a fairly demanding person. I expect things to be done a certain way, even if it cuts down on my profit and is a pain in the butt to do. It used to be that I would be rather blunt and matter of fact about what I wanted and the "why" of it. I would find myself getting frustrated and let these people go although I did have one kid quit.

I've learned I get better results if I restrain my natural inclinations and explain things in a very gentle, non threatening, manner. I try to be logical and non accusatory. It can be difficult. The thing is, if I believe the employee is actually trying and doing their best, I want to maintain that attitude as much as possible and make them feel appreciated. Which they are. Usually.
          Geno, here's the deal. We can appreciate the hell out of them but when you get right down to it 15 bucks an hour is an insult. None of us would bother to set the alarm clock for that kind of money and worse yet is that most owners are not willing to pay much more (union aside thank you) So in the end it is us owners ( and yes, I am guilty too) that have driven a lot of talented men to get a job at Best Buy because it pays more and you have to work much less.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Geno, here's the deal. We can appreciate the hell out of them but when you get right down to it 15 bucks an hour is an insult. None of us would bother to set the alarm clock for that kind of money and worse yet is that most owners are not willing to pay much more (union aside thank you) So in the end it is us owners ( and yes, I am guilty too) that have driven a lot of talented men to get a job at Best Buy because it pays more and you have to work much less.
            I'm paying the journeyman $35 an hour with no benefits other than I take him to lunch quite a bit. (I'm going to see if he really works out. Then we'll see about benefits) Currently I think he's worth every penny he gets paid but he's not perfect. I'm still having to train him and give him pointers on things that seem obvious to me. But he's been in new construction and I'm in remodeling and service so his training focus has been narrow. We all have our path.

The thing is I trust him enough to leave him alone and go on about my other business so he's a big help! What's odd is I really didn't want to hire anyone, I was just looking for some short term help because I was swamped. We'll see what happens.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
            X