X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New apprentice hired

I hired an apprentice today. Seems to be eager to learn and I'm looking forward to teaching him.

Anyone else have a new guy to train?

Re: New apprentice hired

Congrats on the new apprentice Master hope he works out for you.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

can you teach an old dog new tricks

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Nope, wish I did.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Anyone know what a union apprentice gets when they join besides school? What kinda pay and insurance do they get?

Comment

In Texas first year apprentice get 55% scale of journeyman wage( was 26 per hour when I thought of joining 3 years ago) then they get a 10% increase from the scale every year for a 5 year apprenticeship.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
              In Texas first year apprentice get 55% scale of journeyman wage( was 26 per hour when I thought of joining 3 years ago) then they get a 10% increase from the scale every year for a 5 year apprenticeship.
              I'm right in line then. The kid is working out good. He follows directions well and is polite to customers but doesn't talk too much. He focuses on work when at work.

I'm able to do ALOT more work in a day. For instance today we worked a remodel and its a 3 story home. I would have been very tired if I had done all the work we did at the remodel alone. So tired i wouldn't have taken the 2 service calls that came in.....3.5 billable hrs....and I just increased my rates to 100 an hr. and increased material prices across the board. So today I billed roughly 500.00 more than I would have without him and I'm not dog azz tired. Tomorrow I will do the same,I have a full day +. The rest of the week is almost full and its monday

What kinda insurance do they get? Any? how much does it cost them? I'm thinking about paying 1/2 the cost of his health insurance.....meet him in the middle on that till he gets a license to plumb.
              Last edited by TheMaster; 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Your not union, so I wouldn't give him anything other than offering to pay 1/2 his insurance like you said. I never work for a guy that would pay more than half on insurance. Most didn't offer anything.

If you want to do stuff for the guy, buy is lunch, get him tools from time to time, and give him a bonus every now and then.

Having a helper can realy make the day go smoother, remember WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER.
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Only problem with an apprentice in Carpentry, is the Comp. rates are so high ! $38.71 per $100.00 of payroll State fund
                  Plumbing- shop $9.67 Roofing $ 67.01 OUCH WHAT'S YOURS AROUND THE COUNTRY ?
                  Last edited by toolaholic; 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Big difference between an apprentice and a helper. In this state all apprentices have to be registered with the state and hours logged. It takes time before he can take his journeymans test, proof of registered hours etc. in order to work on his own. Up until that point he has to work under someone else at all times. After that the next step would be Master Plumber. All documented, all proved, testing, and takes many years to reach that level.

I know that some states don't care who you hire, or don't care if you have helpers, they don't require proof of anything. Yet they still want to call themselves Journeyman or Master Plumbers, I find that amusing, sort of sad actually.

If your new helper has no experience and he's not registered or doesn't have to show proof of hours etc. then he's not worth more than nine or ten bucks an hour. It's one thing to hire a real apprentice, it's another to hire a gopher.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                      Your not union, so I wouldn't give him anything other than offering to pay 1/2 his insurance like you said. I never work for a guy that would pay more than half on insurance. Most didn't offer anything.

If you want to do stuff for the guy, buy is lunch, get him tools from time to time, and give him a bonus every now and then.

Having a helper can realy make the day go smoother, remember WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER.
                      Nope never will be a union shop but I would consider paying his insurance. He will not always be an apprentice so when he gets his own van I will consider paying full insurance. I have enough money and I'm not a greedy person. My goal is to make it impossible for him to find a better job and still make me a reasonable profit.

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      Big difference between an apprentice and a helper. In this state all apprentices have to be registered with the state and hours logged. It takes time before he can take his journeymans test, proof of registered hours etc. in order to work on his own. Up until that point he has to work under someone else at all times. After that the next step would be Master Plumber. All documented, all proved, testing, and takes many years to reach that level.

I know that some states don't care who you hire, or don't care if you have helpers, they don't require proof of anything. Yet they still want to call themselves Journeyman or Master Plumbers, I find that amusing, sort of sad actually.

If your new helper has no experience and he's not registered or doesn't have to show proof of hours etc. then he's not worth more than nine or ten bucks an hour. It's one thing to hire a real apprentice, it's another to hire a gopher.
                      A real apprentice here means you send in 25.00 to the state and fill out a card with his personal info on it. His hours are kept for payroll purpose and general records anyway. Its just a money thing for the most part.

Comment

My father always bought his employees their first set of hand tools. After that it was on them to replace lost or broken tools.

My father also gave a performance bonus & Christmas bonus. I'm not sure what he did as far as health coverage though...I'd have to ask on that one. (this was back in the late 80's & early 90's).

My father treated his employees like sons..he was hard but extremely fair.

Comment

I hired a new apprentice last week, we got a good week in then I was struck down with the flu on monday. Its pretty lame to hire a new guy and have to lay him off for a week. Hopefully we are back to work by monday because we are now a week behind.

Comment

My apprentice already has 44 hrs this week. Its been a good week for sure. I've billed about 50 hrs this week so far and a ton of material.

Comment

when i first got in the trade my boss hired me through a staffing agency at 8.00 an hour. i never wanted to be a plumber i was just looking for a job. he never paid insurance or anything but in the year and a half i worked for him i learned alot and started to enjoy it. not to mention before i left my pay had almost doubled. when i realized i didn't have much of a future with him i checked out the local union hall. i told them i had almost two years experience in the trade and they asked to see my state apprenticeship card. i had no clue what they were talking about. my boss had never taken the time to register me with the state. when i made the move to union they wouldn't credit me any hours. having just getting my journeymans license last week all is forgotten. i think that if u r goin to hire someone on a permanent basis u should give them a title such as apprentice plumber. it made me feel better. plus it sounds better than helper. one thing that my first boss did that i really appreciated though was paying for my doctors visits when i was legitametly ill. all i had to do was bring him the bill and he would make sure it was taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                              X