X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is PEX BPA free?

I hate the internet. It informs homeowners of almost too much stuff.

That being said they read on another forum; which one? havent a clue? that viega Watts and Wirsbo all contain BPA's and they dont know if it is safe to use in their home. Keep in mind I installed this 5 or so years ago and now they are worried..... and want me to replace it..... with copper..... for free, of course.

I already told them that there is nothing to worry about and wrote to watts which is the pex used to have them email me some kind of BPA certification but what a hassle that should have never be.

Anyone else have this kind of headache? I have politely informed the homeowner that over my dead body would i be repiping their new addition in copper for free.

NO MORE PEX FOR ME!

Re: Is PEX BPA free?

Not this particular headache. But yes, always someone that wants something for nothing once in awhile.

The customer you speak of shouldn't have a leg to stand on as far as making you do anything to the system in relation to BPA. You never know with the idiot courts today though. One would think they would pursue anything through the manufacturer.

And you can bet they are "getting their Google on" as fast or faster than you trying to get them some information regarding it all.

Too many variables:

Is BPA even in the material?
    How much BPA was allowed at the time?
    What PPM actually shows up at the tap?

Then they have to prove that even though the material is approved, that you knew it had BPA in it, believed it to be unsafe levels, and installed it anyway.

There's probably some study out there that it will kill you. Probably some other study out there that it improves eyesight.

And probably similar studies with copper.

Something for nothing people.

J.C.

Comment

P.S. I think all PEX has to meet ANSI/NSF Standard 61 & BPA is covered in that standard for approved levels.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post

That being said they read on another forum; which one? havent a clue? that viega Watts and Wirsbo all contain BPA's and they dont know if it is safe to use in their home. Keep in mind I installed this 5 or so years ago and now they are worried..... and want me to replace it..... with copper..... for free, of course.

I already told them that there is nothing to worry about and wrote to watts which is the pex used to have them email me some kind of BPA certification but what a hassle that should have never be.

Anyone else have this kind of headache? I have politely informed the homeowner that over my dead body would i be repiping their new addition in copper for free.

NO MORE PEX FOR ME!
        ask the owner where he works

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post

NO MORE PEX FOR ME!

I's say no more phones calls from that customer. Its not the pipes fault people are nuts.

Comment

Working...
          X