X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable water softener

I looked at a job for a new customer today. He wants a water softener in his garage that is a few thousand square feet to use for washing his RV's and race cars. There is a water softener loop installed already, but it more then likely only serves the living quarters in the garage, not all of the outside hose bibs.

His mechanic that will be washing the cars asked if he built a cart for it, if I could install a water softener on it, and set it up to be portable. I've never had anyone ask for that before. After thinking about it, all I would need to do is set up the inlet and outlets for garden hose use, then every few days they would have to wheel it over to one of the drains and power outlet and manually start a recharge on it.

I wouldn't want that in my garage, but that is the idea that they liked the most. I am going to give them a price for testing the softener loop to see what it actually feeds, and a price for a conventional softener install, and a price for the portable system.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything with the portable softener before I give them a price. Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Portable water softener

I dont know your situation but where I am in NY we cant discharge a softner to a septic system, supposed to go into its own drywell, municipal sewer is ok though

Comment

try page 487 of the new Worst Marine Catalog. Sorry, West Marine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        I looked at a job for a new customer today. He wants a water softener in his garage that is a few thousand square feet to use for washing his RV's and race cars. There is a water softener loop installed already, but it more then likely only serves the living quarters in the garage, not all of the outside hose bibs.

His mechanic that will be washing the cars asked if he built a cart for it, if I could install a water softener on it, and set it up to be portable. I've never had anyone ask for that before. After thinking about it, all I would need to do is set up the inlet and outlets for garden hose use, then every few days they would have to wheel it over to one of the drains and power outlet and manually start a recharge on it.

I wouldn't want that in my garage, but that is the idea that they liked the most. I am going to give them a price for testing the softener loop to see what it actually feeds, and a price for a conventional softener install, and a price for the portable system.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything with the portable softener before I give them a price. Any comments would be appreciated.
        how bout adding a soft line from existing SWL to wash area then offer quick release hose bib...

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
          how bout adding a soft line from existing SWL to wash area then offer quick release hose bib...
          This garage is massive, and it has no real wash area. It has probably 10 or 15 hose bibs scattered around the building, and they want the ability to wash cars at any one of them.

Comment

http://www.bojifilters.com/Boji_techinfo.htm#Catalog

Comment

a softener or deionized water so there is no drying necessary.

here is a small scale unit from costco.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...at21277&topnav

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'm with Rick, they are better off with a small scale unit like the detailers at car lots use.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,

What's the tds count or grains of hardness? I can check with my softner supplier or I'll get you the # . Softner would not be best option but haven't had to deal with a situation like your's. To much maintenance on the costco unit, not much capacity.

wookie

Comment

If you installed a couple of rechargeable tanks for distilled water he could buy one of these and wash like a pro.

http://www.camspray.com/cam_spray_pi...her-p-157.html

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

if that is what they want, hell give it to them. when you mention race cars, well they live in a different world. just give them what they want. they will then go off to the races and brag. 2 of my kids are racers. i see it all the time. breid......

Comment

Working...
                      X