X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this flange?

I pulled a toilet for replacement today and found this.
    I am standing in front of the flange as I take the picture.
    What's wrong?
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: What's wrong with this flange?

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
    I pulled a toilet for replacement today and found this.
    I am standing in front of the flange as I take the picture.
    What's wrong?
    Must...work....on.....psychic.....abilities......

J.C.

Comment

Oops. Too quick to hit reply. Here is the pic.
      Attached Files
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I'm gonna' assume the screws are there on the left side.

Below floor level and turned to let the bolts slip?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I'm gonna' assume the screws are there on the left side.

Below floor level?

J.C.
          Yes, that's one big p.i.t.a. problem. But not the biggest (methinks).

Comment

Did you edit before I could reply J.C.? I guess that's why you have like 8 times the posts I do. (by the way, I just noticed I passed 1000 this week, WOOT!)

Yes, That's it. I couldn't believe they turned the flange so the bolts wouldn't slide secure. They caulked the toilet to the floor so it wouldn't move.

Comment

I have seen that a lot of times.... you just gotta laugh
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

look at JC's post count compared to mine and we almost joined at the same time. Keyboard w h or
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

The toilet bolt slots are misaligned.

I shake my head every single time when I see a flange set with using those toilet bowl holes.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    Did you edit before I could reply J.C.? I guess that's why you have like 8 times the posts I do. (by the way, I just noticed I passed 1000 this week, WOOT!)

Yes, That's it. I couldn't believe they turned the flange so the bolts wouldn't slide secure. They caulked the toilet to the floor so it wouldn't move.
                    Yeah, I'm pretty fast with the keys. If I could only find some $$$$ use for it.

J.C.

Comment

I dont know who did it but I'ma blame a tile guy They make more problems they solve.

I'm on a big remodel and the tile guy decided to "help" remove a couple pvc flanges. Things did not go well for mr hackster.

Comment

I knew the tile guy was gonna get the blame...only because I was gonna blame him too....fender washers to the rescue!!!!
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                          I knew the tile guy was gonna get the blame...only because I was gonna blame him too....fender washers to the rescue!!!!
                          Or if the flange is low enough you could use a pvc spacer flange on top of that one, spin it so the bolt holes line up..Or cut it out ..Just hope the fender washers don't pull on the sides and break..
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That is all too common on a lot of the jobs i see. Flooring contracrors are always putting in new sub-floors then tile on top causing the flange( which usually needs replacing anyway) to sit too low.
                            Worse, they are often watched over by a general contractor who should know enough to get a plumber involved, but seldom does.
                            Then we get the call to set the fixture cause the contractor cant get it to work. Ends up costing him more in the long run and it serves him right!!

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                              Or if the flange is low enough you could use a pvc spacer flange on top of that one, spin it so the bolt holes line up..Or cut it out ..Just hope the fender washers don't pull on the sides and break..

It by no means is easy to get a big set under the pvc with your closet bolt then I put another washer on top of that with a nut then wax then bowl...etc etc...but u guys probably already know this...but now if its on a wood floor then thats a different story...
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X