Turbo or soft flame ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbo or soft flame ?

I used just about all of them I think over the years.
    Never liked MAPP gas. Propane Turbo-Torch is my
    preference and air-acetylene after that.

On big copper the Turbo-Torch up to 4" then
    Oxy-Acetylene with a rose bud for anything larger.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-18-2011, 03:28 AM.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      I like the screaming of a Turbo torch. Scares the bejeebies out of my customers and makes me feel like I'm in charge.
      I have hearing loss from the "screaming of a Turbo torch". As a result I have tinnitus which sounds, not amazingly, like the screaming of a Turbo torch. 24/7 Turbo torch scream albeit at a lower volume.

I kindly hope you use hearing protection when using a turbo torch.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        I have hearing loss from the "screaming of a Turbo torch". As a result I have tinnitus which sounds, not amazingly, like the screaming of a Turbo torch. 24/7 Turbo torch scream albeit at a lower volume.

I kindly hope you use hearing protection when using a turbo torch.
        That's why they make earplugs. You just got to remember to keep a couple pair of the disposable ones in your pocket for when you need them.

Oh, and remember to take them out of your pocket before your jeans go through the laundry of the wife will be after you.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

I wore out several Turbo Torches in the 70's when I was installing Pumps with Copper. Mapp Gas too. Loved them.

Now I use a self lighting one from Lowes with Mapp gas. Mostly for burning boxes in the back yard. They don't last nearly as long as the old Turbo torch though.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

when i first got in the trade all my boss had was a little one gallon propane tank and a huge weed burner tip. i swear it was a 32. that big flame used to scare the hell out of me in tight crawlspaces. i was always afraid id start a fire and wouldnt be able to get out. he hated acetylene and i had never heard that scream from one until i moved on to bigger and better things as a third year cub. took me awhile to figure out what it was and a little longer to get used to the heat. now it is all i use. i especially like the little mc tanks. make service work quick and light. mapp gas has its place to though.

Comment

I like to use a turbo torch with a T8 tip for soldering tub/shower valves through the front hole
              sigpic

Comment

I just picked up the Turbo Torch TT-150 B tote off of e-bay for $33.00 plus shipping as it arrived today. Does anyone use this tote? Any reviews?

I know one thing, this bugger is expensive! It retails for $70.00, and the Supply house wanted $52.00.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  I just picked up the Turbo Torch TT-150 B tote off of e-bay for $33.00 plus shipping as it arrived today. Does anyone use this tote? Any reviews?

I know one thing, this bugger is expensive! It retails for $70.00, and the Supply house wanted $52.00.
                  That's a sweet deal! Paid $60 for mine and thought that was a steal. It's an over priced piece of hard rubber.

Yeah I love mine. The bolt that locks the piece together seems to come loose pretty easy. You'll need a bigger bolt and some larger washers to hold it tight. You DON'T want the tank to slip out while you're carrying it up a ladder, trust me on this

If you use all turbo tips you can drill out the smaller holes on the other side to fit 3 more tips.
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    That's a sweet deal! Paid $60 for mine and thought that was a steal. It's an over priced piece of hard rubber.

Yeah I love mine. The bolt that locks the piece together seems to come loose pretty easy. You'll need a bigger bolt and some larger washers to hold it tight. You DON'T want the tank to slip out while you're carrying it up a ladder, trust me on this

If you use all turbo tips you can drill out the smaller holes on the other side to fit 3 more tips.
                    What size bolt did you use to hold it together? Do the tips fit in snug or will they have the potential to fall out? If it's possible, could you take a picture of your set up with the bolt you used?

Comment

What size bolt did you use to hold it together? Do the tips fit in snug or will they have the potential to fall out? If it's possible, could you take a picture of your set up with the bolt you used?
                      Maybe he can give you the part number of the bolt and washer.

Comment

Use a 1/4" bolt about 3" long with some fender washers. The tips don't fall out like I thought they would but if it falls over the smaller tips will get damaged. Keep them turned inward towards the tank and you'll be OK.

I like to wind my hose tight but that bends the ends over pretty hard. Put some extra protection on the hose at both ends. I use clear plastic hose about 8" long. The rubber protection that comes with the hose isn't enough to keep it from getting damaged. I used to go through a hose every couple of months because they kept splitting at the connections.

I mounted the bottom half of a 1" clevis hanger in my truck to hang the torch from. Keeps it up high and away from damage.
                        Last edited by plumberscrack; 02-26-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Why not use a Nylok nut or double nut to keep it from loosening?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            Why not use a Nylok nut or double nut to keep it from loosening?
                            It's not the nut that comes loose, it's the semi-soft rubber that bends over when you tighten down on it. Then it slips out of the slot when you lift it by the handle. (One side is slotted for quick and easy changeout of the tank)

Comment

Working...
                            X