X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut off saws ?

Looking for a good cut off saw to use in ditches for cutting cast iron pipe for repairs ..Probably a 14" blade to go through 4" cast iron..Should I look for diamond tipped blades or the abrasive cutoff wheels..The diamonds I'm sure will be costly but the abrasives will wear down to nothing probably quickly..Any suggestions on saw brands and cutting blade combos..Thanks
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Cut off saws ?

In my experience the abrasives have been more cost effective. They do wear down but the diamonds IMHO in this application dont last long enough to make the increased cost worth it.

Comment

a 14'' gas saw is your best bet as the electric ones tend to trip breakers when loaded up. plus the gas unit will cut concrete to 4'' thick without an issue.

new saws run from $700-1200.

now if you want a concrete gas chainsaw, i'll sell you a brand new one with diamond chain for $1000. that's approx $500 off it's going price. will cut 12'' deep and scuare corners. no overcut.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

we have a Stihl gas saw and we use the abrasive blades for black pipe and we have a diamond tipped blades for block
        i love it
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbNut7I0yU

Bar None
          Attached Files

Comment

Another vote for Stihl gas cutoff saw.

I had to rent one..one time because a backhoe drive cracked a sewer line when we were installing a new water service. I swear that saw cut through that cast iron within seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              a 14'' gas saw is your best bet as the electric ones tend to trip breakers when loaded up. plus the gas unit will cut concrete to 4'' thick without an issue.

new saws run from $700-1200.

now if you want a concrete gas chainsaw, i'll sell you a brand new one with diamond chain for $1000. that's approx $500 off it's going price. will cut 12'' deep and scuare corners. no overcut.

rick.
              Texas chainsaw massacre guy could have used this!
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by gobby View Post
                I bet ..Anything hilti is big bucks ..Have never bought anything hilti..could never afford it..I bet that saw is atleast $2,000.00

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  I bet ..Anything hilti is big bucks ..Have never bought anything hilti..could never afford it..I bet that saw is atleast $2,000.00
                  There is a brand new one on e-bay for $1,075.00 (buy it now) with $83.33 for shipping.

Comment

100% Stihl saw.

Dolmar, wacker, makita and another brand are all the same saw and total junk IMO.

I was very anal about blowing out filters and having proper mix and I blew up so many of those saws, it's sad.

I even had a 1/2hr conversation with a Dolmar engineer and followed his instructions to a T with a brand new saw and I blew it up in about a month, not even 20hrs of run time.

I finely convinced the boss to spend the extra on a Stihl. That was over six years ago and they are still using it today.

Blow out the filter every morning and a stihl will last forever.

Stihls are safer as they cut with lower RPMs and relie more on torque/power to cut as opposed to most other saws that use higher RPM's and less torque/power.

Husqvarna is also a reliable saw, but way to under powered and they vibrate too much. Hard on the hands for any long term cutting.
                    Last edited by Gene Bickford; 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have a 14" hilti gas saw carborundum for C.I. Diamond for terra cotta ,or concrete. I buy the diamond with the heavy lugs on the rim at H.D. DMD. blades are to pricy to wear out early on C.I.I always use water with dmd. blade and dry on carb. ones. Sure is a slick way to work!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks all, I ended up borrowing one for my weekend project..I was surprised it ran..It was only a 12" stihl.I could not get the saw around the 4" cast iron as the water service was right on top of it (of course)..So I did a plunge cut and finished it off with my angle grinder with abrasive cut off wheel.That little grinder saved me again and allowed me to grind down all the nodules all over both ends of the pipe for tieing onto..I am going to start looking for a 14" model..Thanks again for all the input.

Comment

I have a 14" chainsaw style saw like Rick and it needs a lot smaller hole to access the pipe then a 14" circular saw does, if his is a ICS model a grand with chain is a good deal. I am looking for a hydraulic version now.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

ics brand new with brand new chain and bar.

cuda, do you already have a hydraulic power pack?

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Diamond blade or not..Do you guys really rip into pipe with those things? That has to make one gnarly cut even with a diamond chain..I'll probably stick with the cut off saw 14" ..when I find a deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/HILTI-DSH-900-Ga...item4cf52c64bb I am seriously thinking about this one
                              Last edited by OLD1; 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X