X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ejector pump ghost cycling

Customer is complaining about the sewage ejector pump kicking on intermittenly..The discharge line runs up into the floor joist below her bedroom, so she hears it kicking on ..There is a full bath and wet bar ..I think nothing else..Went by there rebuilt the toilet , checked lavy, tub..No leaks .Didn't check the wetbar faucet though..I'm sure it's fine ...Any clue what would make a sewage ejector pump ghost cycle..It's a zoeller I installed 3-4 yrs. ago
    Last edited by OLD1; 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Ejector pump ghost cycling

gound water coming into bottom of pit? Check Valve good? IDK...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Check the water meter to see if its spinning. Make sure the discharge is connected to the sewer on top of the main. If the main is partially stopped up it'll flow back into the ejector pit assuming it has a bad check.

Call for a exorcist.

Comment

I had a customer that called about the same thing. It was a Zoeller with a switch stuck in the on position and the thermal switch built into the pump was cycling the pump on and off.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Well checked it out today..The check valve is done. Flushed the toilet twice before the pump kicked on. The pump is right there so went over and heard it pump , then heard a lot of water rushing back down into the pit past the check valve..So with that happening and any water thats left trickling back down as well ..There you go..I will replace the check valve (existing pvc w/ locknuts with a fernco type ) and install a ball valve above ..There was no ball valve above..No worries that bath never gets used and with a faulty check valve ther won't be much in the head of pipe ..maybe 4' before it goes to gravity..

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Well checked it out today..The check valve is done. Flushed the toilet twice before the pump kicked on. The pump is right there so went over and heard it pump , then heard a lot of water rushing back down into the pit past the check valve..So with that happening and any water thats left trickling back down as well ..There you go..I will replace the check valve (existing pvc w/ locknuts with a fernco type ) and install a ball valve above ..There was no ball valve above..No worries that bath never gets used and with a faulty check valve ther won't be much in the head of pipe ..maybe 4' before it goes to gravity..
            If it was a forced sewer and her check valve went bad it would fill the pit and overflow with sewage. We dont install them inside Yours must connect to a gravity sewer or septic.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              If it was a forced sewer and her check valve went bad it would fill the pit and overflow with sewage. We dont install them inside Yours must connect to a gravity sewer or septic.
              Yes it pumps up to a gravity sewer that goes to a septic tank

Comment

A few years ago we had a batch of Zoellers that had bad thermal switches in them. I contacted John Zoeller about the problem, and he told me there was no problem that he was aware of.

Zoeller makes a nice pump, but I have to admit I'm still gun shy about using them. I personally like Hydromatic a little better than Zoeller.
                Last edited by Flux; 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                  A few years ago we had a batch of Zoellers that had bad thermal switches in them. I contacted John Zoeller about the problem, and he told me there was no problem that he was aware of.

Zoeller makes a nice pump, but I have to admit I'm still gun shy about using them. I personally like Hydromatic a little better than Zoeller.
                  So are these thermal switches on the sewage ejector pump I installed (basically just a plug in with a float) or special application pumps? And what is their purpose (to shut the pump down if it gets overheated from not pumping water as to not burn up the pump? Just curious I am hoping changing out the check valve today takes care of it..Tired of calls. They are friends so I will do whatever it takes to stop the madness

Comment

Most pump manufactures have a thermal switch installed in the motor to shut down the pump if it starts to over heat. I to like Hydromatic over the Zoeller, but recently I been a Liberty Pump convert. I like the fact they warranty their pumps from the date of install, not the date of manufacture. Plus its a 2 year warranty which is a good selling point.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      Most pump manufactures have a thermal switch installed in the motor to shut down the pump if it starts to over heat. I to like Hydromatic over the Zoeller, but recently I been a Liberty Pump convert. I like the fact they warranty their pumps from the date of install, not the date of manufacture. Plus its a 2 year warranty which is a good selling point.
                      Thanks SR ..Iwill keep liberty pumps in mind ..Is the thermal switch something that can be reset or does it reset automatically after the pump cools down? I noticed the paperwork stated to wait 2 hrs. after the pump was turned off for servicing..I imagine another cya from the manufacturer to insure nobody gets burned by an overheated pump

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                        Thanks SR ..Iwill keep liberty pumps in mind ..Is the thermal switch something that can be reset or does it reset automatically after the pump cools down? I noticed the paperwork stated to wait 2 hrs. after the pump was turned off for servicing..I imagine another cya from the manufacturer to insure nobody gets burned by an overheated pump
                        It is inside the pump motor, and it does auto reset. In some cases by the time the thermal switch kicks in the damage to the pump is already done.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          I like some Liberty stuff, and really want to try one of their ejector pits. I'm not crazy over the Zoeller ejector pit at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                            I like some Liberty stuff, and really want to try one of their ejector pits. I'm not crazy over the Zoeller ejector pit at all.
                            If by pit you mean tank, then I think you're out of luck. The tanks are made by third party OEM's, like Topp Industries. http://www.toppindustries.com/

Comment

Alright OLD1 this is a tribute for you my man....check open this check valve....
                              Attached Files
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X