X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liabilty and workers comp. Insurance

I carry both. It is obvious many don't out there. I file comp. info pulling permits. Funny homeowners almost NEVER ask for proof of insurance or license. They are a trusting [ or ignorant ] lot !
    The post of a plumber burning down a home brought this to mind.
    Most of My work is Carpentry repairs. I would guess plumbers cause
    the most damage with floods and fire. Just the nature of the trade.
    GOT INSURANCE ? Dad
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Liabilty and workers comp. Insurance

As far as the floods go, I see more repairs to lines cut by carpenters and drywall screws in h2o lines than I can shake a stick at.
    The flood may originate at a plumbing pipe, but I would not be so quick to point the finger at the plumber as being liable in the cases I see, though I am not saying that it doesn't happen. Fire?, well I have read only a few stories in the news about plumbers burning buildings. It happens for sure. Dunno how often though.
    Insurance, can you even get a permit to operate a business without liability insurance? Not where I am.
    Last edited by shock1964; 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I don't know how someone could dare to work without ins.

I don't think I've ever had a home owner even ask it we have ins, but definitely none have asked to see proof.

I have had a few business ask for proof, but it's always after the job is done or after I've done a few jobs for them.

I have one place (school) we have been doing work for for the past 5 years and they just recently asked for proof because their ins company was doing an audit on them.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I only carry liability because I am a one man shop. As far as home owners asking for proof it almost never happens. Most Home owners in this area don't ask for contractors license either. They worry about the bottom price only. I tell them I don't compete with unlicensed and uninsured handymen, only other plumbers.

Comment

Carry both and the only claim I had was the brake on my jetter let go and it rolled down a hill and hit a corvette in the side...Having both is needed in my opinion and residential customers don't ask for it...commercial customers always ask for it....
          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I'm doing a 5 bath remodel and the carpenter did the demolition. While removing a tub/shower unit he found a bad joint on copper pipe. The pipe was only on the fittings about 1/8th of an inch. he ruined the drywall ceiling in the garage and it must be removed and replaced with new.

Same carpenter stepped off his ladder and onto my new shower drain rough in and broke it under the floor in a cluster of fittings.

Same carpenter wnet to give an estimate on repairing some windows and stepped on a pvc irrigation valve box and broke the pipe.

All that in 3 days.

I have liability,no workmans comp. and I'm not required to have it. here you must have over 3 employees who have no ownership in the business for workmans comp to be mandatory. I had my apprentice sign a letter informing him that I carried no workmans comp insurance and had the bank notarized. I'm checking on getting it for his families sake.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              I'm doing a 5 bath remodel and the carpenter did the demolition. While removing a tub/shower unit he found a bad joint on copper pipe. The pipe was only on the fittings about 1/8th of an inch. he ruined the drywall ceiling in the garage and it must be removed and replaced with new.

Same carpenter stepped off his ladder and onto my new shower drain rough in and broke it under the floor in a cluster of fittings.

Same carpenter wnet to give an estimate on repairing some windows and stepped on a pvc irrigation valve box and broke the pipe.

All that in 3 days.

I have liability,no workmans comp. and I'm not required to have it. here you must have over 3 employees who have no ownership in the business for workmans comp to be mandatory. I had my apprentice sign a letter informing him that I carried no workmans comp insurance and had the bank notarized. I'm checking on getting it for his families sake.
              Similar rules here with a catch to the system though. If you do ANY work for a general contractor, you are required to carry workmans comp. Doesn't matter if you are the only employee. If you do not, the GC must cover it and will deduct it from your bill. The GC is audited annually to verify all subcontractors and their employees are also covered.

All subcontractors......are also audited annually.

That's what's started the illegal 1099 contracting in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

i think roofers might have a shot at the lead in starting fires among the various trades.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                  As far as the floods go, I see more repairs to lines cut by carpenters and drywall screws in h2o lines than I can shake a stick at.
                  The flood may originate at a plumbing pipe, but I would not be so quick to point the finger at the plumber as being liable in the cases I see, though I am not saying that it doesn't happen. Fire?, well I have read only a few stories in the news about plumbers burning buildings. It happens for sure. Dunno how often though.
                  Insurance, can you even get a permit to operate a business without liability insurance? Not where I am.
                  No Liability Ins. required in Calif. on private work. Comp. Yes
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

To be clear. I, in no way am inferring Plumbers are less responsible
                    Than any other tradesman. It's just the nature of the work leads to more home damage , i feel. I have a family member that was doing full time plumbing for Years. I know the losses His insurance paid
                    out. It all scared the daylights out of Me. It was all His Help!
                    I've never had a liability claim! Some place Is probably on fire as I speak, YIKES!! PS, You notice I don't hang with CARPENTERS !!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Similar rules here with a catch to the system though. If you do ANY work for a general contractor, you are required to carry workmans comp. Doesn't matter if you are the only employee. If you do not, the GC must cover it and will deduct it from your bill. The GC is audited annually to verify all subcontractors and their employees are also covered.

All subcontractors......are also audited annually.

That's what's started the illegal 1099 contracting in my opinion.

J.C.
                      Yeah I've had a G.C try to deduct it from my bill. You cant negotiate with me after the fact....maybe next time is what I told him. last time he ever called and thats the way I like it. I get tired of hearing them biotch and moan about how they dont have that much profit in this or that job. Its not my problem G.C's f's a bid up but 99% of the time their just lazy greedy lunch time drunks that drive nice pickups and wear plaid shirts.

Comment

All that in 3 days.

Yea, the kid gets paralyzed for life ,You leave Him under the Bus. And You have the Balls to dis Gen.Contrs. NICE GUY

Comment

tool: I don't know about your area but here workers comp is not that expensive...when I do get a helper now and again its usually a friend...no way would I crap on a buddy if their was an accident...I have a plumber friend that used to work somebody and he was on a ladder and his boss came into the room and accidently bumped into the ladder knocking by buddy off who landed and ended up with a 4" knife in the eye...well the owner did not have workers comp....four years and civil suits and everything else my friend has lost his eye and cleared about 1500 bucks....it may not be required by law to have insurance or workers comp....but I think people have a moral obligation to other humans...just like I don't do new construction but if I did I would not just go by the code book because I could...I would go above that...in service I try everyday to exceed my customers expectations...this is my views only...
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Yea, the kid gets paralyzed for life ,You leave Him under the Bus. And You have the Balls to dis Gen.Contrs. NICE GUY
                            The "Kid" has the option to buy disability insurance if he wants it. General contractors can pay the workmans comp if they want me on their job...if not I will move along....they call me I dont call them.

A general contractor cannot contract me to do a job and then AFTER the fact start negotiating who pays his workmans comp. I'm not required to have it by law...so its his problem. You talk about those things BEFORE the job starts not after.

Nice guy? I dont know but I'm fair and honest.

Comment

The "Kid" has the option to buy disability insurance if he wants it. General contractors can pay the workmans comp if they want me on their job...if not I will move along....they call me I dont call them.

A general contractor cannot contract me to do a job and then AFTER the fact start negotiating who pays his workmans comp. I'm not required to have it by law...so its his problem. You talk about those things BEFORE the job starts not after.

Nice guy? I dont know but I'm fair and honest.
                              If "the kid" buys disability insurance he will be working for about 6 bucks an hour. If "the kid" gets hurt on the job, the lawyers are coming after you. If "the kid" has any brains at all he will move along and find another shop. Fair and honest seem to be a subjective thing
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X