Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aquasource T & S diverter problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aquasource T & S diverter problem

    Customer has a fairly new (2 mos.) Aquasource (Global Industrial, danze, pegasus, etc, etc.) tub and shower faucet that diverts water to the shower slightly when running the tub only. It has a diverter spout.

    This is a new customer who had her bathroom remodeled by H. & S. Inc.(Hack & Slash). The faucet is connected entirely with shark bite fittings.

    Do you think the shark bite on the spout nipple is causing enough restriction to divert the water to the shower slightly?
    Attached Files
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

  • #2
    Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

    I would say something could be wrong with the spout itself.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

      I honestly dont know what to say about that, other than thats like $100 in sharkbites alone!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

        Isn't that valve in sideways?

        Thanks.


        J.C.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

          Originally posted by Flux View Post
          I would say something could be wrong with the spout itself.
          When I go back I intend to replace the spout just to see. I was there repairing other f.ups when she mentioned this faucet.

          She was wondering why the tub wouldn't hold water. H & S removed the linkage from the trip lever waste and overflow for some reason.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Isn't that valve in sideways?

            Thanks.


            J.C.
            Here's the front pic. I couldn't find an "up" or "down" on the valve. It could be on the front of the valve but the r.i. plate is still on it. The writing is sideways.
            But, the integral cutoffs are correct.
            Attached Files
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

              1st off I would rip all that out or wouldn't touch any of it. The problem is the 1/2 cpvc between the valve and the sharkbite drop ell. Its I.d. is smaller. The cpvc being there is enough to make the shower dribble.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                Customer has a fairly new (2 mos.) Aquasource (Global Industrial, danze, pegasus, etc, etc.) tub and shower faucet that diverts water to the shower slightly when running the tub only. It has a diverter spout.

                This is a new customer who had her bathroom remodeled by H. & S. Inc.(Hack & Slash). The faucet is connected entirely with shark bite fittings.

                Do you think the shark bite on the spout nipple is causing enough restriction to divert the water to the shower slightly?
                Tim, you call them hack and slash but this quality work is all too common these days, even among licensed plumbers.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                  I want to tell you to take it all out and start over.

                  You may be able to replace the tub drop and make it work. There is a certain distance minimum for most valves. And make sure H&S hasn't threaded the spout on so far that it's against the diverter gate.

                  Good luck.


                  J.C.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                    Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Tim, you call them hack and slash but this quality work is all too common these days, even among licensed plumbers.
                    I wish I had the pictures to show you what they did with the tub strainer. Apparently they had moved the tub somewhat and the 1 x 8 subfloor (this is conventional foundation) beneath the tub covered at least a quarter of the space beneath the strainer hole. I have no idea how they were able to start the threads on the strainer.

                    These people have no $$$ at the moment. It will be a simple thing to replace the diverter spout. If that doesn't do it then I will reassess.

                    T.M. My search says 1/2" cpvc has an i.d. of .622 while L copper only has a i.d. of .545
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                      Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      I wish I had the pictures to show you what they did with the tub strainer. Apparently they had moved the tub somewhat and the 1 x 8 subfloor (this is conventional foundation) beneath the tub covered at least a quarter of the space beneath the strainer hole. I have no idea how they were able to start the threads on the strainer.

                      These people have no $$$ at the moment. It will be a simple thing to replace the diverter spout. If that doesn't do it then I will reassess.

                      T.M. My search says 1/2" cpvc has an i.d. of .622 while L copper only has a i.d. of .545
                      cpvc has a smaller I.D. than copper. The O.d is the same and cpvc has a thicker pipe wall than L copper. Go measure some.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                        Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                        Customer has a fairly new (2 mos.) Aquasource (Global Industrial, danze, pegasus, etc, etc.) tub and shower faucet that diverts water to the shower slightly when running the tub only. It has a diverter spout.

                        This is a new customer who had her bathroom remodeled by H. & S. Inc.(Hack & Slash). The faucet is connected entirely with shark bite fittings.

                        Do you think the shark bite on the spout nipple is causing enough restriction to divert the water to the shower slightly?
                        Slimtim:

                        If I were you I would remove the tub spout, leaving the nipple in place. Fill the tub. If the shower stops dribbling try using a different diverter tub spout. If not, it may be that the quality valve (is it even anti scald?) doesn't have internal porting designed to eliminate the shower dribble. In that case you may have to install a twin ell at the tub spout and reconnect to the shower off that.

                        That's some really nice work.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

                        Fruit flies like a banana.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                          You sure the valve is not upside down?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                            chances are they left the tube stiffeners in the sharkbite fittings that are designed for pex tubing. these will reduce the id of the pipe at both the inlet and outlet to the tub drop. remove the stiffeners and try or replace the drop pipe.

                            best bet is to swap out the cpvc/ sharkbite with a copper mip and drop el 90, or brass nipple and 90.

                            if the valve and trim came with the diverter spout, then no twin el is required.

                            rick.
                            phoebe it is

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Aquasource T & S diverter problem

                              Looks like one of our local HVAC guys when they get slow ...personally I would take it out..put in a delta..and for the love of pete...use copper...man somebody should have a little pride in their work...(sorry been looking at bad installs and redoing all the plumbing both water and drainage in a 500,000 home thats only 2 years old... i'm a bit cranky this morning)
                              Last edited by dcman; 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM.
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                              Derek

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X