X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading my own black iron nipples

I'm a gas line contractor, and have alot of off time in the summer. I'm thinking I can give my employees a few extra days work in the summer by threading all my own nipples, and easily cover their payroll with the money I'll save. Does anyone do this, how have your results been? What do I need to do it? Thanks.

Anthony,

You can make nipples with any of the threading machines. The minimum length will vary depending upon what machine you are using. You can calculate the minimum length as follows.

Two times the length of the thread (chaser width) plus the length of the jaw (or jaw insert, depending on machine) plus the gap between the front of the jaw and the rear of the chaser with the carriage pushed near its stop. Here's a bad diagram...

|--Thread--||---Jaw---||-Gap-||--Chaser--|

Do not attempt to make the nipple so short as to run the carriage into its stop during threading!

If you need shorter nipples than the above, you can purchase a nipple chuck for most threading machines. This will allow you to make close nipples easily.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the reply, does anyone know how the nipple chucks work, how long they take to use, and, just how they work I guess is what I'm wondering. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pugetsoundgaspiping:
        Awesome, thanks for the reply, does anyone know how the nipple chucks work, how long they take to use, and, just how they work I guess is what I'm wondering. Thanks.
        You cut your threads on one end of the nipple blank, and then chuck the nipple chuck into the threading machine. The nipple blank with one end threaded is then threaded into the nipple chuck. Then simply thread the other end. The nipple can then be removed from the nipple chuck using the supplied tool.

Typically, you would create a bunch of blanks, thread them all on the one end first, and then use the nipple chuck to thread the other end.

Here's a link to the PDF file of the catalog page:
        http://www.ridgid.com/catalog/RT2004-052.pdf

I don't know what machine you are using, but here is a link to the 300 Compact owners manual. The instructions for using the nipple chuck are on page 13. The manual for your machine should have something similar.

http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/300CManual.pdf

Hope this helps,
        Steve

As an aside, when I first saw your user name, I thought it said "Puget Sound Gasping"

[ 06-29-2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: smorris ]
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

yeah, that purple guy is actually our motto, here at Puget Sound Gasping. Dude, thanks alot for helping me understand how exactly that worked, and yeah, if I buy it, that does sound like the most efficient way to do it. Might possibly have two guys work side by side on it, one making blanks, the other finishing them off.

Comment

for close nipple threading, try the ridgid 819 and 839, its a great tool. however, its going to be kinda slow especially with the wrench. had some customers over here threading several hundred pieces in a single day..

Comment

When I have been stuck on a job once or twice and not had a niple chuck available I make one from a piece of pipe (same size as the nipples to be cut and long enough to be captured in both jaws of the pipe machine) and a CPLG. TOE of the pipe which will be chucked in the pipe machine but give it a long thread and screw the CPLG on a bit farther than you usually would to make up a regular joint, then thread the nipple into the CPLG such that your nipple will butt up to the end of the pipe when screwed into the CPLG, this keeps the nipple from getting jammed in the CPLG. It works for the occasional use but not as easy as having the right tool, a nipple chuck.

Comment

Working...
              X