X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horizontal caulk joint.

31 years ago in plumbing school was the last time I poured a caulked joint on a horizontal pipe requiring a running rope. Thanks to the poster who suggested using plumbers putty instead of buying a running rope for this joint!

The joint being replaced has a VERY slow leak and is about to be boxed in as a result of a new bathroom being installed in the basement. It turns out the oakum was pretty much washed out of the back of the joint.

This was a BLAST!
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: horizontal caulk joint.

A couple more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

nice job
      when i moved to PA 21 years ago the plumbers had no idea how to pour this type of joint so i had to shoe the how to do it with a rope and i said if you dont have a rope you can pack the hub with Dumb Dumb putty
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        nice job
        when i moved to PA 21 years ago the plumbers had no idea how to pour this type of joint so i had to shoe the how to do it with a rope and i said if you dont have a rope you can pack the hub with Dumb Dumb putty

Thanks for suggesting it! and the dumb dumb did use the putty. The only running rope I could locate was in Chicago so putty was cheaper, faster and easier.

Comment

Who suggested to use putty?

Comment

Don't know..Curious , would thumb gum work ?
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

thanks for reminding me to oil my runners. I have heard of using nothing but putty and apparently it works. Takes a lot of putty though. Always use some for inverted verticals to keep the vertical runner from leaking.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                thanks for reminding me to oil my runners. I have heard of using nothing but putty and apparently it works. Takes a lot of putty though. Always use some for inverted verticals to keep the vertical runner from leaking.
                You have heard of it? Apparently it works? Well sure it works...read post #3 of this thread.
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...rizontal+joint

Comment

Yes, heard of, not done. I've always had the tools
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, heard of, not done. I've always had the tools
                    Sure I have joint runners.....its always good to know other ways tho. Now teach your students that there are more than one way to skin a plumber.

Comment

The way things are going all they need to know is how to push some crappo fitting together.
                      sigpic

Comment

It does take lots of putty but 99% + is recovered so it's no loss. Getting the old lead out was a pain. Trying to get it out without disturbing the closet bend was tedious. The joint was around 90% lead, almost no oakum.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          It does take lots of putty but 99% + is recovered so it's no loss. Getting the old lead out was a pain. Trying to get it out without disturbing the closet bend was tedious. The joint was around 90% lead, almost no oakum.
                          Well you did it and looks like a bang up job to me..I usually drill out the old lead..what say you
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            Well you did it and looks like a bang up job to me..I usually drill out the old lead..what say you
                            I did drill a little bit, and used a little bit too. Since the pipe was staying put, it was in the way so I couldn't get a straight angle. Meant small diameter drill bits, and after breaking a few I just went with slicing thin lead slivers off with a variety of screwdriver sizes. Thin lead slivers can also come in handy as toilet shims.

Comment

Working...
                            X