X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need More Space

How many of you one man shops do it all? Whats your alternative to carrying all your stuff....trailer....bigger van...??? Got a call from 45 minutes away for a backed up sewer in a strip mall...get there and was waiting in parking lot for a manager to show up....corporate calls and says we had another plumber out the day before and they pulled the back to back toilets and tried to cable the line...cable came up a floor drain, so they tried to go thru the floor drain to come up the toilet flange...I say okay so ??? they said well we need you to camera the line to find out ???...I said okay...so I drove back and load all my crap and came back....what did I find? I walked in to find a C/O right by the bathroom, so I cabled the line....no problems...anyways I didn't have any room with out going back to the shop and off loading all that stuff...just wonder what everybody else does for space...
    Attached Files
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Re: Need More Space

I am so sick of working outta my van ..I have def. outgrown it but it is paid for ..It def. doesn't look this bad right now but it still sucks.Last time I posted this pic there was almost a public flogging
    Attached Files
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

what you need is a sprinter then you can get 4 times as much crap in it

Over the years I have found that no matter what size van or box truck I work out of, it's going to be stuffed to the roof anyway.
      sigpic

Comment

I have a 2003 E-350 Cutaway Van DW, and I feel as though I can't carry everything.

Because of the winter we have had, the inside of my truck looks like a bomb exploded in there, and I'm waiting for warmer weather to straighten it all out. I can't stand working in a messy truck...and mine is kind of messed up right now.

Between Plumbing-Heating-A/C- and drain cleaning, it's kind of hard to carry it all. The only drain machine I carry on the truck all the time is my K-50. It's rare for me to do a main sewer line...it's mostly sinks for me.

Winter time I make sure I'm fully stock with Nozzles,filters,transformers on the oil/boiler side. On the gas/furnace side I make sure I carry ignitors,roll out switches, and flame sensors.

Summer time I make sure I have plenty of capacitors on hand.

Then all of the Plumbing side of things need to be on the truck as well. I get so ticked off when I hear a customer say "Oh...don't you have that part on your truck"?

Homeowners don't have the first clue on what it takes to make sure we are "close" to having everything...let alone having EVERYTHING!

Some time this year we are getting a new truck, and staying with an enclosed service body.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          I am so sick of working outta my van ..I have def. outgrown it but it is paid for ..It def. doesn't look this bad right now but it still sucks.Last time I posted this pic there was almost a public flogging
          Same deal...its paid for...wth is that sacks of seed corn for?? bad customers??

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            what you need is a sprinter then you can get 4 times as much crap in it

Over the years I have found that no matter what size van or box truck I work out of, it's going to be stuffed to the roof anyway.
            Well I had an old bread truck...plenty of room....really bad m.p.g.....

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              I have a 2003 E-350 Cutaway Van DW, and I feel as though I can't carry everything.

Because of the winter we have had, the inside of my truck looks like a bomb exploded in there, and I'm waiting for warmer weather to straighten it all out. I can't stand working in a messy truck...and mine is kind of messed up right now.

Between Plumbing-Heating-A/C- and drain cleaning, it's kind of hard to carry it all. The only drain machine I carry on the truck all the time is my K-50. It's rare for me to do a main sewer line...it's mostly sinks for me.

Winter time I make sure I'm fully stock with Nozzles,filters,transformers on the oil/boiler side. On the gas/furnace side I make sure I carry ignitors,roll out switches, and flame sensors.

Summer time I make sure I have plenty of capacitors on hand.

Then all of the Plumbing side of things need to be on the truck as well. I get so ticked off when I hear a customer say "Oh...don't you have that part on your truck"?

Homeowners don't have the first clue on what it takes to make sure we are "close" to having everything...let alone having EVERYTHING!

Some time this year we are getting a new truck, and staying with an enclosed service body.
              U know...ur customers comments is funny...as far as I know the only other trade who had more tools are mechanics...but they don't come to u and they have parts delivered...so I don't want to hear that "you don't have that part on your truck crap?"....Hell no I don't do I look like Lowes or the bank?

Derek

Comment

MAN....both of you guys have me beat as far as a messy truck goes!

Hey Old..what's with that accordion looking tail piece I see on the left hand side?

I had a customer give me one time, and it sat on my truck for like 10 years, cause I would never use one. A few months ago, I was caught in a jam...and it was the only way for me to get out of that jam. I was definitely embarrassed to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                  U know...ur customers comments is funny...as far as I know the only other trade who had more tools are mechanics...but they don't come to u and they have parts delivered...so I don't want to hear that "you don't have that part on your truck crap?"....Hell no I don't do I look like Lowes or the bank?
                  Auto mechanics have got to be first...with us being second.

I could carry everything known to man kind, but I don't think these townships around here would like me doing service calls out of a tractor trailer.

Comment

as plumber Rick would say get a k-60 its smaller
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      as plumber Rick would say get a k-60 its smaller
                      yeah...yeah...yeah...I'm working on it...

Derek

Comment

Wow that accordian style tailpiece is swaaaeeet Welp that one thing you could throw away if you need more space.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                          How many of you one man shops do it all? Whats your alternative to carrying all your stuff....trailer....bigger van...??? Got a call from 45 minutes away for a backed up sewer in a strip mall...get there and was waiting in parking lot for a manager to show up....corporate calls and says we had another plumber out the day before and they pulled the back to back toilets and tried to cable the line...cable came up a floor drain, so they tried to go thru the floor drain to come up the toilet flange...I say okay so ??? they said well we need you to camera the line to find out ???...I said okay...so I drove back and load all my crap and came back....what did I find? I walked in to find a C/O right by the bathroom, so I cabled the line....no problems...anyways I didn't have any room with out going back to the shop and off loading all that stuff...just wonder what everybody else does for space...

Thanks I always feel better after a good laugh.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Its tough sometimes to work out of a standard size truck and carry it all. You just can't. I get the best information I can about the call over the phone and pick up the toilet, water heater, disposals,etc., and save all that cumbersome stuff from riding around with me all day when not needed.

Comment

Picked this up last december for a very nice price brand new 2008 e450, 12ft kuv body, 6ft tall rear doors. Very nice space and shelfs inside. Once the weather breaks it will be tagged up. Covred in snow now but here is the dealers shot.
                              Last edited by jrs5565; 02-26-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X