Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

    Ron,

    Have you had the rear lubed yet? Due at 80k. Expensive to replace if it goes out.
    Time flies like an arrow.

    Fruit flies like a banana.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

      ron, how does the chevy dealer do the oil so cheap? my sprinter takes 13 quarts of mobil1 mb229.5 @ 7.00 a quart. plus an oil and fuel filter.

      the dealer i purchased it from wanted $600.00

      my cost was under $200

      never been back to my original dealer

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

        Rick the straight 5 uses 9.5 quarts and the Chevy dealer I use works on commercial trucks so they have the oil for their diesel trucks in bulk. If I wanted another brand it does go up since they have to buy it by the quart. They do not do the fuel filter at every oil change. When the fuel filter is done its 40 bucks more. As for sprinter dealer doing the oil change you are right they want more than a couple hundred bucks, I think the last quote was $450.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

          Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Rick the straight 5 uses 9.5 quarts and the Chevy dealer I use works on commercial trucks so they have the oil for their diesel trucks in bulk. If I wanted another brand it does go up since they have to buy it by the quart. They do not do the fuel filter at every oil change. When the fuel filter is done its 40 bucks more. As for sprinter dealer doing the oil change you are right they want more than a couple hundred bucks, I think the last quote was $450.

          Ron,

          Here are the prices I just paid this last week at a Dodge dealer, parts, labor taxes, environmental fees, etc. out the door for the 2006 which is essentially the same vehicle as yours.

          Oil change. $131.13
          Replace fuel filter. $114.95
          Replace both windshield wiper nozzles. (Not wipers) $61.90
          Diagnose that pesky light bulb debacle. $88.01
          Rear axle service. $194.21

          My turbo charger hose split last fall too. Went into diesel mode. If I recall that was in the $200 range to repair.
          The transmission service I had done @ ~65k miles was around $400, and had them put in a new air filter too.
          Time flies like an arrow.

          Fruit flies like a banana.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

            Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Ron,

            Here are the prices I just paid this last week at a Dodge dealer, parts, labor taxes, environmental fees, etc. out the door for the 2006 which is essentially the same vehicle as yours.

            Oil change. $131.13
            Replace fuel filter. $114.95
            Replace both windshield wiper nozzles. (Not wipers) $61.90
            Diagnose that pesky light bulb debacle. $88.01
            Rear axle service. $194.21

            My turbo charger hose split last fall too. Went into diesel mode. If I recall that was in the $200 range to repair.
            The transmission service I had done @ ~65k miles was around $400, and had them put in a new air filter too.
            If you go to the forum I posted for Sprinters there is some great write ups on doing a lot of the maintenance on the sprinters for the old style like ours and the 2007 + Newer. The transmission service is real easy and the filter gasket and fluid is to be had for a great price at EuroParts.

            All three of my intercooler hoses split at different times. The upper hose that was the most expensive @ $82.00 the lower two hoses where around 30 bucks each. Once I realized the Dodge dealers that serviced Sprinters where just out rob us, I started to do a lot of it myself. Or get the parts and have the Chevy dealer do it if its to much for me to handle IE Glow Plugs, they snap off easy so I rather have the dealer be responsible if they break them off trying to replace them.

            I love my sprinter, I feel no matter what brand truck or van you own as long as you take good care and do the scheduled maintenance it will last you a long time.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

              Sewerats, I couldn't agree more. I have always owned dodges and truth is they break like any other brand but it seems like their service departments are what have screwed them over for years giving them a bad name. plus, I think some of dodge owners tend to be less apt to do maintenance that a typical owner would as many of the dodges I see running around are the cheap lower models.

              I have a 01 dodge RAM 2500 cummins with almost 300k miles on it and its still going strong.

              I want a sprinter eventually, kind of sad, as I really would rather the dodge than the Mercedes-Benz or freightliner model. supposedly they are also branded under the Volkswagen name plate over seas, maybe that might happen here.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                Can I say I hate Dodge Had 3 Dodge products nothing but problems.
                Buddy of mine works for a heating company that has a fleet of Sprinters
                Owner hates them. Their in the shop too much and expensive to repair.
                I've nicknamed mine "The Rattler". Seems like there is always something rattlin' I just can't quite find. Maybe it's a moving around.


                J.C.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                  I don't know about sprinters, but my buddy's 'indestructable' cummins has had his dodge in my shop for two days now. That timing gear case gasket is a major pain to get to; the cam's got to come out and the tappets dont come out the top, just lift up a little and you've got to find a way to hold them there out of the way, then there is this stupid crossmember the cam won't clear so it looks like we've got to jack the engine up or else cut and weld the xmember. my 85 chev (which he's driving in the meantime) with who knows how many miles, bullet holes, and no grill looks better all the time, 10 mpg and all; it runs.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I've nicknamed mine "The Rattler". Seems like there is always something rattlin' I just can't quite find. Maybe it's a moving around.


                    J.C.
                    So old it's haunted by a poltergeist?
                    Time flies like an arrow.

                    Fruit flies like a banana.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      ron, how does the chevy dealer do the oil so cheap? my sprinter takes 13 quarts of mobil1 mb229.5 @ 7.00 a quart. plus an oil and fuel filter.

                      the dealer i purchased it from wanted $600.00

                      my cost was under $200

                      never been back to my original dealer

                      rick.
                      Rick, what kind of mileage do you get with the 2008 model?
                      Time flies like an arrow.

                      Fruit flies like a banana.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                        Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        Rick, what kind of mileage do you get with the 2008 model?
                        my situation is not the ideal one. i'm lower than average due to traffic and short trips.

                        but in the city, the computer shows 12.7 in the last 4500 miles. the first 10,000 was 14. but i did have more 120 mile trips to a job in san diego. also the last 5 months i've been towing my big jetter much more.

                        on the highway, i've managed to average 19.2

                        rick.



                        not your typical day, but not far off.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-27-2011, 12:09 PM.
                        phoebe it is

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                          Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I've nicknamed mine "The Rattler". Seems like there is always something rattlin' I just can't quite find. Maybe it's a moving around.


                          J.C.
                          Had four dodge products now that I think about it.
                          1986 k car caught fire and burnt to the ground
                          1999 SLT Fuel pump, electric problems, Main seal let go, AC crapped out,
                          tranny rebuilt twice, Sun roof stuck open. Would start buy it's self sometimes and sometimes not shut off at all!
                          Bought it with 30 k on it this all happened within 50k Lemon.
                          Traded it in for a 2005 Ram SLT because no other company wanted it.
                          Computer shot first 20k had to bring it back 3 times Thank God it was a lease
                          Then I bought a 1994 Ram SLT think I would have learned but it was cheap with only 60k on it. Water pump, Starter,4x4 is going power steering pump and lines, and AC kicked the bucket. It only has 66k on it now
                          I have bad luck with Dodge
                          Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                          Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                            Cuda Loves Dodge! But right now we run 2 ford 250 vans, 1 Isuzu Box truck, and a Ford F-450 flatbed. Only Dodge I have is My Cummins 4x4.
                            Seattle Drain Service

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                              For sale again soon


                              Attached Files
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                              Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

                                Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                                Had four dodge products now that I think about it.
                                1986 k car caught fire and burnt to the ground
                                1999 SLT Fuel pump, electric problems, Main seal let go, AC crapped out,
                                tranny rebuilt twice, Sun roof stuck open. Would start buy it's self sometimes and sometimes not shut off at all!
                                Bought it with 30 k on it this all happened within 50k Lemon.
                                Traded it in for a 2005 Ram SLT because no other company wanted it.
                                Computer shot first 20k had to bring it back 3 times Thank God it was a lease
                                Then I bought a 1994 Ram SLT think I would have learned but it was cheap with only 60k on it. Water pump, Starter,4x4 is going power steering pump and lines, and AC kicked the bucket. It only has 66k on it now
                                I have bad luck with Dodge


                                I had 1992 dodge-rear end went out, tranny went out heads cracked...other 1993 dodge threw a rod, rear end in it out...dodge for me has been bad luck....I feel ya...
                                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

                                Derek

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X