2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

About a month ago my 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 passenger side brake light lens mysteriously exploded/broke outward. It might have been weather related since it dropped to about -20 F that night.

Anyway when I replaced the tail light assembly (a mere $120 from Dodge ) Surprise! The light bulbs didn't come with it even though the parts guy said they did. So after installing the assembly I went to O-Reilly auto parts, and gave them the old bulbs, and O-Reilly gave me replacement bulbs.

Shortly afterward my traction control and ABS and another light came on. The lights would come on and off randomly. When the lights were on I absolutely lost traction control. It's obvious in snow and ice.

I called the dealer to see if this could be related to my brake light. "Absolutely NOT!" was the response from the service department lady.

Then my engine would not stop when I turned off the key and put it in my pocket. (Just a few times) Also random.

Then when I would put the transmission in park I couldn't put it into drive again unless I shut the engine off.

Naturally I've been very busy and loathe to give up the truck for who knows how long. So I put up with this crap till I couldn't stand it, and needed an oil change anyway.

The problem? The brake light bulb. The original bulb was a single filament. O-Reilly Auto gave me a double filament bulb. Apparently the extra filament messed with the onboard computer(s).

Cost? $78 diagnosis, and $8 for the bulb, and I was VERY grateful I wasn't spending big bucks on some arcane electronic black box magic gone bad.

If you have a Sprinter van make certain those light bulbs are identical!!
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: 2006 Dodge Sprinter quirkiness

Dang dodges and all their new fangled technology!
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

just went in last weekend to have them check a trouble code on my 2008 3500 sprinter. turned out it was an egr sensor.

they replaced the sensor, replaced a bad dash storage compartment and by law adjusted the tire pressure in all 6 tires.

they even shuttled me to home depot 1/2 mile away so i could shop for 2 hours while they had my van.

finding the right dealer is like finding the right plumber

so far so good.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Do you guys have the diesel engine in your sprinters?

Me and pop thought long and hard about getting a sprinter for our next truck, but I was reading reviews on the diesel engine in them, and how expensive it is to work on it if a problem arises.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          just went in last weekend to have them check a trouble code on my 2008 3500 sprinter. turned out it was an egr sensor.

they replaced the sensor, replaced a bad dash storage compartment and by law adjusted the tire pressure in all 6 tires.

they even shuttled me to home depot 1/2 mile away so i could shop for 2 hours while they had my van.

finding the right dealer is like finding the right plumber

so far so good.

rick.
          Any Ridgid tools left at HD when you were done?

Here in the Twin Cities there are two dealerships, both are far away from me. (Over 20 miles each). Both have done me good turns, and bad.

I'm just starting to look at a new Freightliner Sprinter. Only one dealer in the State. (No competition = bad news). There are also no Mercedes Dealerships in the State so I can't go to Mercedes either.

I'm wondering if it's going to make more sense to lease than buy. Less to worry about in the long run, repair and maintenance wise.

Comment

My "new" ride is in my avatar picture.

1992 Dodge Dakota with a Reading Bed & Northern Tool jib crane on it.

I'm so poor compared to you boys.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              Getting from point A to point B is more important then how a truck looks.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                Any Ridgid tools left at HD when you were done?

Here in the Twin Cities there are two dealerships, both are far away from me. (Over 20 miles each). Both have done me good turns, and bad.

I'm just starting to look at a new Freightliner Sprinter. Only one dealer in the State. (No competition = bad news). There are also no Mercedes Dealerships in the State so I can't go to Mercedes either.

I'm wondering if it's going to make more sense to lease than buy. Less to worry about in the long run, repair and maintenance wise.
                the closest dealer for me is 35 miles away. there use to be a dealer a few miles from adam, but they closed up.

there are no freightliner dealers in calif.

dodge lost the agreement with mercede in 2010 so now mercededs sells them. the new merceded/ sprinter dealer is around 12 miles from me, but they can't touch a dodge atleast until the warranty ends.

infact mercedes dealers are not suppose to sell you parts for a sprinter. you just go there with the mercedes part# and ask for that.

does freightliner sell current model sprinters still?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Here is a very handy link it has the parts catalog for 2002 to 2008 sprinters. http://www.berrysprinter.com/sprinterparts.php

Once you have the part # go here http://www.sprinterparts.net/oem-sprinter-parts.html enter it in but leave off the zero in front of the part #. Out of all the dealerships Berry Dodge Dealer has the best prices every. There are two places I like to get my oil and fuel filters from. , first is EaroParts http://store.europarts-sd.com/ and the other is SprinterFilters.com http://www.sprinterfilters.com/

Also here is the best Sprinter forum ever on the internet. http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

The Dodge dealers around here that have sprinter mechanics are a joke. The mechanics have bankers hours 10 - 2 When they quote you a price, they say well its is a Mercedes what do you expect? Which I reply what is it badged and titled as? You all do not say the same crap to a guy that buys a Dodge car that was built by Mitsubishi and rebadged as a dodge. They all want over a couple hundred bucks to just do an oil change. I take my sprinter to the Chevy dealer, and I get a new filter and synthetic oil for $60 bucks ($20 more than a standard oil change due to the extra quarts of oil needed).
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Can I say I hate Dodge Had 3 Dodge products nothing but problems.
                    Buddy of mine works for a heating company that has a fleet of Sprinters
                    Owner hates them. Their in the shop too much and expensive to repair.
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

My Sprinter has had some quirks here and there. But nothing to major and once I found out I can get the parts cheaper myself cost is not a huge issue. For example the fuel filter the local dealer wants $98.00 for it I can get an OEM filter from Sprinter Filters or EuroParts for around 30 bucks.

As for the issues I have had. around 80K miles my serpentine belt went and took out the idler pulley with it. Roughly around the same time the turbo intercooler hoses developed a split. Just recently 130K miles my horn stopped working, which was more of a road salt issue since the horn is located behind the bumper cover. Also as I pointed out forget about using the Sprinter Dealer, them guys think themselves privileged to charge 10 times the normal price. I have my Chevy dealer that we dealt with do all the service that I can not do myself.

I have been very happy with my 2004 Sprinter, I get great mileage and have lots of room for all my equipment.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Also as I pointed out forget about using the Sprinter Dealer, them guys think themselves privileged to charge 10 times the normal price. I have my Chevy dealer that we dealt with do all the service that I can not do myself.
                        Maybe they need to charge that because of their overhead and they deserve to make a profit. Problem is everyone wants things done cheap and when they cant get it cheap they start trying to DIY.

People dont change.....it doesn't matter if its a truck or plumbing they will DIY with the same attitude....."they charge too much" Just like your doing.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          the closest dealer for me is 35 miles away. there use to be a dealer a few miles from adam, but they closed up.

there are no freightliner dealers in calif.

dodge lost the agreement with mercede in 2010 so now mercededs sells them. the new merceded/ sprinter dealer is around 12 miles from me, but they can't touch a dodge atleast until the warranty ends.

infact mercedes dealers are not suppose to sell you parts for a sprinter. you just go there with the mercedes part# and ask for that.

does freightliner sell current model sprinters still?

rick.
                          Yep. According to Feightliner's site, there is a Freightliner dealer in Oakland. 400 miles is a long way to go though.

http://www.freightlinersprinterusa.com/

Golden Gate Truck Center
                          8200 Baldwin Street, Oakland, CA, 94621
                          Sales : (510) 632-3535 Service : (510) 632-3535
                          Last edited by geno gardner; 02-26-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

we have four Sprinters on the road and other than having one wrapped around a tree (damn bee's) they have been as reliable as the 6 Chevy's we have.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                              Interested in selling that bad boy? I think you're probably way ahead of the game. Fewer gadgets to fail, and probably more reliable as a result.

But I REALLY like the fact that I can stand up in the back of my van, and that it gets ~20 mpg. Even if I do pay about 50 cents more a gallon for diesel fuel than I would for gas.

I'm hoping to go a million miles in my sprinter. We'll see. It's not looking promising, but I do not skimp on maintenance at all. So who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X