slab leak equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slab leak equipment

I just started a service oriented plumbing company, and am trying to figure out what kind of equipment is best for me locating slab leaks. I have always used an air compressor and a bigfoot, by fisher. I've always had really good luck with those but there is apparently an american leak detection in my area that claims to guarantee w/ in 3' on locates. I generally have no problem hitting this mark but I do not guarantee on my locates. I feel like they have much better equipment then just sound location ability. I have done some research and don't know how well a thermal imaging camera would work for viewing thru slabs. I know its going to be some what costly, but I think it would be worth it. I think the best is using helium and a helium locator, (I think thats what am leak det uses) but I've never done this and have not had much luck with researching it. I sent an email to some company claiming to be a dealer for some company selling leak detection equip. dealing with helium, but got no response. Any ideas. Suggestions.

Re: slab leak equipment

I think the bigger question is whether or not the you can recoup the expense of the equipment and how long it will take to do so.
    sigpic

Comment

3' is a far,....far distance to be off.

a pipe locater and leak detector will allow you to home in much closer.

air compressor located outside to cut out the noise along with a pipe locater will do on the shallow leaks. as the leaks get small and deeper, then real equipment is needed.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Just sometimes you get a very difficult one and i don't want to ever not be able to locate one.

Comment

Originally posted by Will B Plumbing
          right now i do about 2-4 slab leaks a week averaging ab $1,000.
          If your doing that many already a week souunds like you dont need any new equipment. Nitrogen also works with listening equipment and its not a noise problem.

I usually bypass leaks rather than break the slab.

Comment

Originally posted by Will B Plumbing View Post
            I just started a service oriented plumbing company, and am trying to figure out what kind of equipment is best for me locating slab leaks. I have always used an air compressor and a bigfoot, by fisher. I've always had really good luck with those but there is apparently an american leak detection in my area that claims to guarantee w/ in 3' on locates. I generally have no problem hitting this mark but I do not guarantee on my locates. I feel like they have much better equipment then just sound location ability. I have done some research and don't know how well a thermal imaging camera would work for viewing thru slabs. I know its going to be some what costly, but I think it would be worth it. I think the best is using helium and a helium locator, (I think thats what am leak det uses) but I've never done this and have not had much luck with researching it. I sent an email to some company claiming to be a dealer for some company selling leak detection equip. dealing with helium, but got no response. Any ideas. Suggestions.
            http://www.3mleakdetection.com/Products.aspx

This appears to be able to be used in municipal applications, however, it may be worthwhile to check this equipment out for residential use.

Here's a study performed in Canada that describes various technologies including vibration analysis, and thermography. If you have questions in either of those areas I may be of some service to you since I used to provide those services to industry. (Although not generally for leak detection in water piping.) Ironically, 3M (above) was my largest customer. Go figure.

http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/projec...detection.html
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
            X