X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water feature pump, etc.

On a job where we've been asked to supply water to and run a drain from a water feature, they are now requesting we supply the pump and paraphernalia needed to accomplish same. Anyone know of a kit that would propel water from a reservoir to the top of a cascade (presumably down a sheet of glass or other such decorative object) and back down to the reservoir that is relatively easily installed?

Re: Water feature pump, etc.

I bought some aquarium pumps for bubbling my stock tanks in the hope of keeping the water ice thin or free, when the temps have been below freezing, and bought from this company, and in the search I see they have pond pumps and fountain pumps, (there service was fast and had no problems),

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT the pumps or ponds or fountains, but it may be a starting place for you,
    http://www.petmountain.com/category/...tain-kits.html
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      On a job where we've been asked to supply water to and run a drain from a water feature, they are now requesting we supply the pump and paraphernalia needed to accomplish same. Anyone know of a kit that would propel water from a reservoir to the top of a cascade (presumably down a sheet of glass or other such decorative object) and back down to the reservoir that is relatively easily installed?
      So do you have a dry enclosed area you place the pump, or is it going to be located in a wet environment?

If it's dry and enclosed I don't know why you couldn't just use a HW system recirc pump. A recirc pump would have a high duty cycle rating. It doesn't sound like you're looking for much head pressure. If the environment is wet then you might be looking at a pond pump. I would contact a Gould's or Zoeller Rep.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        So do you have a dry enclosed area you place the pump, or is it going to be located in a wet environment?

If it's dry and enclosed I don't know why you couldn't just use a HW system recirc pump. A recirc pump would have a high duty cycle rating.
        The pump will be set away from the reservoir, but because it's not a closed system, I don't think a recirc pump will work. But, your suggestion got me to thinking that maybe a transfer pump would do the job, since the water will pool in a reservoir below the water feature and from there I can suction it up to the top of the cascade, etc.

Comment

You got a tractor supply store near you? They have the whole set up. Pump, filter, hose everything you need
          sigpic

Comment

I've used pool pumps to accomplish the task for large water features before. A ball valve on the outlet side will let you control flow and the pump and piping will last for years.
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

We just did one. I used a little giant submersible made for water features, only to find out you are not allowed in Fl. we have a 6" PVC pipe from the fountain pedestal to a mechanical reservoir under the front porch. It acts as the conduit for the supply lines and the return for the pump.I ran an 1 1/4 manifold off the pump with five, valved, outlets. four to the feature and one for circulation. I used a 400A as an automatic fill and a sump pump piggyback float switch just in case the fountain lost water.

Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

You need to figure how many GPM you need to get the effect you want
                Than take off the head loss ,and pick out a pump
                I use Laguna Pumps in my ponds Great on electricity
                Mine sit in the water

Comment

depending on the gpm and head, a grundfos circ pump works good and last forever. you would need to keep the pump at a level below the water line, outside the sump.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

People come in our shop all the time wondering what pump they need for a fountain. First question, how many gallons per minute. They never know. You don't want a pump that's too small and won't give the effect you want. You don't want one that's too big, it will just raise the light bill.

I wish I could tell you an easy way to figure out how many gallons per minute you need, but I can't. Trial and error with a rented pump might be a good start.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

You can test it with a water hose going over the spill way when you get the right flow stick the hose in a five gal bucket and time it

Comment

Working...
                      X