Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Repipe With Pex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

    Originally posted by Flux View Post
    I understand things are done much different down south, but why use a material that would require that many joints in the first place?

    A 200' or 400' roll of Black Poly pipe would be a much better installation for water services, then a material using glue joints.

    Just my opinion.
    I dare say 90%+ of 1" or less is done exactly as you describe in this part of the South.

    EDIT: And not uncommon to have a box at both ends/connections.


    J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

      Originally posted by Flux View Post
      I understand things are done much different down south, but why use a material that would require that many joints in the first place?

      A 200' or 400' roll of Black Poly pipe would be a much better installation for water services, then a material using glue joints.

      Just my opinion.
      Mine 2
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I dare say 90%+ of 1" or less is done exactly as you describe in this part of the South.

        EDIT: And not uncommon to have a box at both ends/connections.


        J.C.
        Most water services in the south from the meter to the house is bell end sch 40 20' sticks IMO

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

          Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          Most water services in the south from the meter to the house is bell end sch 40 20' sticks IMO
          I haven't worked in as many areas of the South as some. Almost none here are ever done that way. I can't even remember the last one I've seen.

          Sidenote: I had to work on a submersible well pump today that was piped with thin wall PVC & just wanted to find whoever did it and whip them with it.


          J.C.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

            Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
            Most water services in the south from the meter to the house is bell end sch 40 20' sticks IMO
            Why.. If there is a way to run a water service eliminating joints except at the beginning and end ..Here we go again
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

              Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              Why.. If there is a way to run a water service eliminating joints except at the beginning and end ..Here we go again
              Pvc has been used since the early 70's here...alot of homes have it and its about 40 years old...and its still in service. I guess thats why.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                Pvc has been used since the early 70's here...alot of homes have it and its about 40 years old...and its still in service. I guess thats why.
                So in other words cause' that's just the way it's been done ..Doesn't matter that there are better materials out there now..

                The more things change the more they stay the same
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                  Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  So in other words cause' that's just the way it's been done ..Doesn't matter that there are better materials out there now..

                  The more things change the more they stay the same
                  No in other words its a time proven material. And its cheap and its easy to install and if thats what people want to use its ok with me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                    Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                    No in other words its a time proven material. And its cheap and its easy to install and if thats what people want to use its ok with me.
                    Ok..Would you say Pex is a time proven material ?
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                      Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                      Ok..Would you say Pex is a time proven material ?
                      Yes its a great product if its installed properly.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                        PVC is ran occasionally here when it gets to 1.5" or better. Works just fine to my knowledge. (Schedule 40 heavier wall)

                        Smaller lines it seems PE is better with less joints. (Thicker wall 160psi).

                        Both can have their place I guess.


                        J.C.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                          Does anyone really know what the life expectancy of a pvc glue joint is?
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                            Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            Does anyone really know what the life expectancy of a pvc glue joint is?
                            I have no idea. Never read any long term tests.

                            All glue joints are characterized to be a "solvent weld" to my knowledge.

                            I think that's defined as the two parts becoming one when done correctly.

                            (I know, I know, I've seen the things pulled apart, blown apart, etc. just as many others have. )


                            J.C.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                              I helped install some sch 40 pvc natural gas line 28 years ago......its still in service.

                              Also I occasinally find 3/8 o.d. polybutylene flared and ran for gas lines undergound to post mounted gaslights.
                              Last edited by TheMaster; 03-01-2011, 08:12 PM. Reason: add

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

                                But those were heat fusion welds right? Or are you talking a solvent weld glue joint?
                                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X