Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    We have been running 2lb. manifold systems for years..It's amazing what you can run on one of those systems..never heard of 12/2 what is that?
    In the last 10 years gastite / tracpipe really took off in our area. But these homes are too new to have any real problems yet, and so I never really tied into a manifold system like you posted until a few years ago.

Before the flexible gas line phase, my father used to call the gas company up when he was starting a development. He had to make sure that there was a higher pressure in the street in order to use 12/2 gas. He wanted to start running 3/4 black everywhere instead of doing 1" or 1 1/4" to the heater first, then reducing.

The way it was explained to me, there is something in the gas meter that can be changed (diaphragm?) to give the house more pressure. It's a very quick fix, and takes the gas guy minutes to change.

Funny story...

This one development he set up for 12/2 gas..someone bought a house, and needed his water heater changed. Well the Plumber told the homeowner "Your gas lines were installed wrong because it's undersized". So this home owner paid like $ 1,200.00 to have it all redone..blah blah blah. Technically the Plumber was right in gas/btu theory.

So a few years go by, and this homeowner called us out for something else not related to this, and he was complaining to my dad about the gas lines in the house and how he had to pay to get them redone. My father told the guy..."I was the guy who did the entire Plumbing and gas lines, for this entire development. I set it up with the gas company to use 12/2 gas, and If that Plumber was worth his salt...he would of called the gas company to find out what the development was set up for pressure wise."

The look on this customers face was priceless.
    Last edited by Flux; 03-01-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Ok so 12/2 = 2lb. or med. pressure where you guys are? Where available a house running on low pressure 1/2 lb. can be converted to 2lb. or med. pressure for a higher demand fixture (gas generator etc.) by like you said changing the regulator before the meter ..split system or hybrid system it's called sometimes..

But like tou said def. add up all the btu's on a manifold system to see if you need to upgrade the service coming in and / or the regulator at the manifold..If I remember the 1/2" maxitrols use to be rated for 289,000 btu..I forget what the 3/4" are offhand ..Maybe 675..
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Edging ever closer to my 75 post guess Sorry I might have to throw in a few more meaningless threads to make it though
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

If I want to do a low pressure to med. 2lb conversion I just make a phone call and place the order. The gas co comes out and changes the service regulator at the meter to a 2lb reg. They check the system out and test it. They light any pilots and inspect the general condition of all the gas appliances and red-tag any codes violations. Depending on the violation they may or may not turn the gas on until the appliance is removed or the problem corrected.

Each appliance is required to have its own regulator but its common for a grill to share the fireplaces or the water heaters regulator. The gas co even accepts it. I prefer seperate regs on everything.

I can also order a hybrid system. This is useful for adding a whole house generator or tankless water heater. the gas co repalces the low pressure meter regulator witha 2lb regulator. Then a manifold is added for the high demand applications like a tankless and whole house generator. After the med pressure manifold the house gets a regulator to drop the pressure down to low pressure.

This allows high demand appliances/equipment to be added without having to add regulators all over the house at every other appliance.....and allows you to add those appliaces/equipment with smaller pipe.

Comment

Working...
          X