Hot Repipe With Pex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Repipe With Pex

Here is a shot of the back of the house before I started. tankless water heater on the left...small window in the middle is the kitchen.

To the right of the pic above is a corner...I just went around the corner with the new pipe.

This next pic is farther to the right and around another corner.....the access panel you see to the left is for the jaccuzi tub and was existing from the homes original construction.

The lavatories for the master bath are farther to the right from the tub....no way to see where in this pic...but more pics to follow.

Re: Hot Repipe With Pex

Comment

Here is the section between the two doors in the pics.......the tee for the k-sink was not installed yet....I dont have pics of the tee installed.....work was progressing at a fast pace.

here is the tee for the bathtub....I washed a pipe from inside the access under the footing and connected to the new pipe.

Comment

Here is the after pic for the job with the bathtub and lavatories connected.

After backfill pic.

Comment

I'll be honest, I had a bit of an aneurysm seeing the pex fittings underground.

The only way we're allowed to have fittings on potable water underground is if they're in a junction box, or silver brazed copper. Both of those options are at the inspectors discretion.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

This is the feed for the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              I'll be honest, I had a bit of an aneurysm seeing the pex fittings underground.

The only way we're allowed to have fittings on potable water underground is if they're in a junction box, or silver brazed copper. Both of those options are at the inspectors discretion.
              We can have joints under the ground but not under a slab unless its brazed coppa. This pipe is approx 12-18" deep thats in the pics

ADD> personally I would rather have joints in the ground than in my attic......which is where I will be installing a few on Thursday to complete the other bath and the laundry area. The attic was too low to do it through the attic for the master bath and the way the house is shaped it would be the long away to run the master through the atttic. Its approx 60' from the water heater now to the master.
              Last edited by TheMaster; 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM. Reason: ADD

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                We can have joints under the ground but not under a slab unless its brazed coppa. This pipe is approx 12-18" deep thats in the pics

ADD> personally I would rather have joints in the ground than in my attic......which is where I will be installing a few on Thursday to complete the other bath and the laundry area. The attic was too low to do it through the attic for the master bath and the way the house is shaped it would be the long away to run the master through the atttic. Its approx 60' from the water heater now to the master.
                Same here. Would be a smart thing to do as MoJourneyman says though and have an access box at fittings.

I try to myself but not always.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Same here. Would be a smart thing to do as MoJourneyman says though and have an access box at fittings.

I try to myself but not always.

J.C.
                  I never do....its not needed or required in my area. I could see me installing 10 valve boxes in a 200' pvc water main??? Thats almost comical.

Comment

I never do....its not needed or required in my area. I could see me installing 10 valve boxes in a 200' pvc water main??? Thats almost comical.
                    Yes that would be. But installing two or three tees with boxes around a house....would be smart.

J.C.

Comment

Yes that would be. But installing two or three tees with boxes around a house....would be smart.

J.C.
                      And a waste of money. 12-18" deep the leak shows up anyway.

Comment

And a waste of money. 12-18" deep the leak shows up anyway.
                        Disagree respectfully. An access for maintenance to a possible problem is not a waste of money to me.

Just my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Disagree respectfully. An access for maintenance to a possible problem is not a waste of money to me.

Just my opinion.

J.C.
                          I have never seen a pic posted anywhere or ever heard of anyone installing valve boxes at every joint with 20' lenghts of sch 40 pvc for a water service main.

I welcome anyone to direct me to or post pics of such work. For instance a home 100' from the meter with 5 valve boxs posted up over each joint. I'll be waiting

I'ma crack me a few brews and count the money I made today
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PArF9k2SbQk
                          Last edited by TheMaster; 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM. Reason: add youtube vid

Comment

I have never seen a pic posted anywhere or ever heard of anyone installing valve boxes at every joint with 20' lenghts of sch 40 pvc for a water service main.

I welcome anyone to direct me to or post pics of such work. For instance a home 100' from the meter with 5 valve boxs posted up over each joint. I'll be waiting
                            Neither have I. And it would be a bit redundant to do & I wouldn't recommend it in that situation.

A few in situations like what you are doing in your pics, I would think to be ok, not a waste of money, and an option to offer to the owner. You don't have too. Do it however you like or what has been bid.

I try to assess the situation for what is code, possibly above code, & what is feasible with common sense and thought towards the future if problems arise.

To each his own.

J.C.

Comment

I understand things are done much different down south, but why use a material that would require that many joints in the first place?

A 200' or 400' roll of Black Poly pipe would be a much better installation for water services, then a material using glue joints.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X