X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: handling a heavy gas water heater

We always move the old tank out and new one in ourselves. Usually we will have around 4 workers onsite, (got the manpower at our shop between the plumbers and tinbashers) to manage the heavy moving, and will use come-alongs, etc for tight stair lifts. Safety is always first, so the move can take some time, but the customer is charged accordingly in the install quote. Definiteley nothing wrong with employing professional heavy movers to help out, but you gotta be there. At least half the time we have had to strip the burners, and controls off in order to get the tank in without damaging anything.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
      Dunbar,

I'm absolutely not "ripping" on you here so please don't take it as such.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a customer to expect a plumbing contractor to provide and remove water heaters. After all that's what they're paying for isn't it? In fact as plumbing contractor, aren't we actually in business to provide a service to our customers? Certainly we are better equipped to deal with water heater or other plumbing appliance movement and disposal than the majority of our customers. Parquet (butter)

Of course we as business people reasonably decide the limits of what services we can in reality provide. If I can't move something or don't feel comfortable about moving it then I get help. The cost of that help is ultimately paid by the customer. The customer isn't looking for me to hurt my back, mainly, they are looking not to hurt theirs, or not deal with disposal. In any event, I appreciate the opportunity provided by the customer to provide the service. After all, we may be plumbers but we are really in the service to others business and providing that service is our primary path to becoming successful. (At least that's my philosophy)

I'm already successful, what's the fuc.king problem?

I've covered this topic extensively on another forum.

I've been pulling water heaters for years, I'm not risking my livelihood because one or many think I should do it.

I get paid by my talents to correctly install a new water heater, or repair an old one. Anyone has a F--king problem with that, deal with it.

I'm not hiring jackoffs to cut my wages down just because someone didn't drain a water heater for 8-12 years and I don't get any benefit pulling the heater out.

I've got almost 10 under my belt in the past 3 weeks and I've left 2, it's the customer's problem not mine. I won't do anything that's going to shorten my tenure in this profession, that's being done just by the daily grind.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
        Why oh why in a residential application would somebody want a 75 or 100 gallon w/h. give me 2 40's or 2 50' with a bypass. practical and easy to replace. I guess you can't brag to your friends about how it almost killed a couple guys to install it. Oh the best thing about big water heaters is the look on the homeowners face when you tell them the price to replace that 100 gallon heater. Sorry Mr. home owner The W/H cost didn't seem important when you sighned the $500,000 mortage. I see your house is only 4000 square ft. so you needed to save space with 1 w/h. Oh by the way Your mechanical room is so small The heating guys might have to move the furnace to get the w/h out--- that has never happened to me but I have had to crush the jacket to get heaters in place .
        Solar is required here (that or you have to have 3 gas appliances one of them a tankless water heater). So I see a lot of 120 gallon solar tanks, more 80's but lots of 120s. I love it when they actually build a closet around the heater. Oh, Mr. HO you didnt know that it would have to come out eventually and you built the doorway too small?
        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
        X