X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handling a heavy gas water heater

Hi folks. I was wondering how everyone manages to get a 480 lbs commercial gas water heater from the wholesaler to the job site boiler room. I had a fellow contractor here tell me he does a re and re by himself. He use to own a chevy g20 van just like mines and claims he manages it. Do you folks put it in your van on the side and pull out the tank yourself? I was curious how many helpers you use to do this moving. Do you use a hand truck or a 4 wheel moving board like i ve seen piano movers use. Handling the shear weight is just puzzling me. Thanks a bunch.

Re: handling a heavy gas water heater

i have an assortment of dollies and even an electric stair climber.

just did a 119 gal. tank and boiler last week up on the roof.

supply house delivers to the job site and i handle it from there.

the old tank they took back and i kept the boiler for parts.

i have a crane arm that's in the back of my van and i lift them in and out as needed.

typically a 75 gal i'll put into the van anything larger, gets delivered.

my dollies have a 3 position set of wheels. i can set it upright, on a 45 tilt and flat on the ground. good for 1000#.

my stair climber is good for 750#.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We are getting a Powermate stair climber.

If you get one of these bad boys your troubles are over.

Comment

All commercial water heaters are delivered to the job by the warehouse. They help get the old one out and the new one in. They haul away the old one as well.
        They usually carry a stairclimber and an extra helper for the really big ones. We don't pay extra for this service BUT an informal agreement says we buy ALL our water heaters through them.

Injuries are reported to their insurance co. not ours.

Comment

Probably not much help but here's what I do. If you follow this routine religiously it MIGHT work for you.

1. On days when I know I have a commercial water heater I eat an EXTRA bowl of Wheaties and use whole milk not two percent or skim. I let my wife know I have VERY heavy equipment to deal with today. (important)

2. Get one of those weight lifter belts from Gold's gym. One of those extra wide leather ones with all the bright brass and gold decorations so you feel like a champ! Practice doing a couple of squats. (Make sure the wife sees this)

3. At break time drink 3 or 4 of those large protein shakes. The flavor isn't important. Also drink some Tang (It's good enough for astronauts so it's good enough for me ), and some caffeinated coffee.

4. At lunch eat 1-1/2 BLT sandwiches.

5. At some point call the wholesale house and have them deliver the new water heater and take away the old one.

6. When you go home rub your back as though it's aching badly, groan a few times, then have your wife give you a back rub and anything else you can manage.

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Probably not much help but here's what I do. If you follow this routine religiously it MIGHT work for you.

1. On days when I know I have a commercial water heater I eat an EXTRA bowl of Wheaties and use whole milk not two percent or skim. I let my wife know I have VERY heavy equipment to deal with today. (important)

2. Get one of those weight lifter belts from Gold's gym. One of those extra wide leather ones with all the bright brass and gold decorations so you feel like a champ! Practice doing a couple of squats. (Make sure the wife sees this)

3. At break time drink 3 or 4 of those large protein shakes. The flavor isn't important. Also drink some Tang (It's good enough for astronauts so it's good enough for me ), and some caffeinated coffee.

4. At lunch eat 1-1/2 BLT sandwiches.

5. At some point call the wholesale house and have them deliver the new water heater and take away the old one.

6. When you go home rub your back as though it's aching badly, groan a few times, then have your wife give you a back rub and anything else you can manage.

Comment

Thank you all for the great information! Looking into the right kind of dolly sounds like my first step. I ve have a regular hand truck for ten years and i was sure that wasnt the way because the tires would have popped its air out.

Comment

i hate wh. i have people call the other plumber in town. let him figure it out. lol. i turn work down now and wh is one them. doesn't seem to hurt business. breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  i hate wh. i have people call the other plumber in town. let him figure it out. lol. i turn work down now and wh is one them. doesn't seem to hurt business. breid.................
                  I agree. The water heater business is so cutthroat here that its hard to make a decent profit on one. Profit margins are way higher for most other services. Really only do it to keep regular customers from calling someone else.

Comment

Do you have an employee named IGOR?

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
                      Hi folks. I was wondering how everyone manages to get a 480 lbs commercial gas water heater from the wholesaler to the job site boiler room. I had a fellow contractor here tell me he does a re and re by himself. He use to own a chevy g20 van just like mines and claims he manages it. Do you folks put it in your van on the side and pull out the tank yourself? I was curious how many helpers you use to do this moving. Do you use a hand truck or a 4 wheel moving board like i ve seen piano movers use. Handling the shear weight is just puzzling me. Thanks a bunch.

Boilers and Commercial water heaters, as well as the larger residential heaters, are moved by professional movers. Their regular business is pianos but they are happy to help us, the work is easy for them and it is quick money.

We get to the job site before them and disconnect the heater, usually the supplier has already delivered the new one to the garage or driveway. The piano movers take the new one into the basement while the old one is draining, then they take the old one out and haul it away. They leave and we do not have to struggle with moving the old and the new. My guys are fresh and unhurt with no complaints about aching backs etc. The expense is part of the quoted price. They are insured and professional at what they do and the cost in time is well worth it.

A couple of years ago we even had them bring a cast iron bathtub up a winding staircase and we have had them move large cast iron radiators both up and down stairways. They are used to moving expensive, heavy, bulky items ( pianos) with out doing damage in high end homes.Its beautiful!!

Comment

Why oh why in a residential application would somebody want a 75 or 100 gallon w/h. give me 2 40's or 2 50' with a bypass. practical and easy to replace. I guess you can't brag to your friends about how it almost killed a couple guys to install it. Oh the best thing about big water heaters is the look on the homeowners face when you tell them the price to replace that 100 gallon heater. Sorry Mr. home owner The W/H cost didn't seem important when you sighned the $500,000 mortage. I see your house is only 4000 square ft. so you needed to save space with 1 w/h. Oh by the way Your mechanical room is so small The heating guys might have to move the furnace to get the w/h out--- that has never happened to me but I have had to crush the jacket to get heaters in place .

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
                          Money and imagination.

Comment

No hero in this equation. Demand they get someone to get the new one down there, someone to take the old one out. We're plumbers, not moving and storage companies.

No back injury is worth a satisfied customer.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                              No hero in this equation. Demand they get someone to get the new one down there, someone to take the old one out. We're plumbers, not moving and storage companies.

No back injury is worth a satisfied customer.
                              Dunbar,

I'm absolutely not "ripping" on you here so please don't take it as such.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a customer to expect a plumbing contractor to provide and remove water heaters. After all that's what they're paying for isn't it? In fact as plumbing contractor, aren't we actually in business to provide a service to our customers? Certainly we are better equipped to deal with water heater or other plumbing appliance movement and disposal than the majority of our customers. Parquet (butter)

Of course we as business people reasonably decide the limits of what services we can in reality provide. If I can't move something or don't feel comfortable about moving it then I get help. The cost of that help is ultimately paid by the customer. The customer isn't looking for me to hurt my back, mainly, they are looking not to hurt theirs, or not deal with disposal. In any event, I appreciate the opportunity provided by the customer to provide the service. After all, we may be plumbers but we are really in the service to others business and providing that service is our primary path to becoming successful. (At least that's my philosophy)
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X