Mansfield toilets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mansfield toilets?

I install mostly mansfields, I had a mansfield with a 3 inch flapper in my house it only flushed o.k. and a toilet seat bidet would not fit on it so out it went. Now I have an ADA height mansfield low end toilet and it is fine. like all the mansfields I install they are fine. Best of all is they work and they are American made!!!!!

Comment

I like vorten over mansfield and same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        You buy a Mansfield toilet when you want to buy an ok toilet at a cheap price. If you want a good toilet, you buy something else.
        I agree. We put Mansfield in for years because when they first switched to 1.6 from 3.5 gpf you could switch some parts and retrofit it for a longer better flush.

nowadays, Gerber and Mansfield are available in most small supply houses, but Mansfield is available at Menards (big box store) so I use Gerber a lot b ecause it's not available at big box stores(love the Avalanche, the Viper is pretty good too).

I recently had a Gerber avalanche in for a couple days for a customer until she decided she wanted a Kohler to match her other fixtures in the house.

The Kohler Class V and Class VI flushing toilets are the cats meow IMHO. Flush a lot better than the avalanche.

Only a couple supply houses in town carry Toto, so I don't use them a whole lot unless they are specified or requested.

I've had nothing but problems with American Standard, so I stay away. The colors never match right. I once went through 3 different tanks trying to get a match to the bowl!

So my preference is:

1. Gerber (professional exclusive brand and good quality flush)
        1A. Kohler (#2 mostly ecause you can buy it at Home Depot and Menard's)
        2. Toto (Way overpriced IMO but excellent quality)
        3. Mansfield (Made in USA, decent quality for price, and I can get a 10" rough tank/bowl easy as pie!)
        4. EljerAmerican Standard (Don't knock Eljer unless you've tried a Titan with a 3" flush valve! great quality toilet)

-Chris

Comment

IMO vorten is a toto copy...and they did a fine job. Kohler doesn't have a good bowl wash and on the handicapp model its even worse.

Comment

I've never seen nor heard of Vorten

never had a problem or complaint about bowl wash from customers with Kohler Wellworth or High Line with the Class 5 or Class 6 flushing system. The Class 4 was crap

Comment

Vortens is owned by Lamosa and made in Mexico.
              Gorman carries them and I've installed a few.
              Good quality for the price, heavy china.
              Cheap ball cock, replace with 400A.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                I've never seen nor heard of Vorten

never had a problem or complaint about bowl wash from customers with Kohler Wellworth or High Line with the Class 5 or Class 6 flushing system. The Class 4 was crap

Ditto ..Kohler is one good flushing toilet
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Is the Champion a Good Bowl?

I don't know .. I always feel like A/S is second fiddle to Kohler.

I think for the price Kohler toilets out preform A/S in both looks and flush.

ToTo seems so out of line in regard to price, and not to mention installation. If I need a template and masonry bit to install your toilet you are probably over thinking it.

Comment

Power flushes (Gerber) & Pressure lite toilets aside, before Kohler went to these class 5 toilets, nobody could beat their Wellsworth gravity flush toilet with standard flapper imo. I use to take off the oem flapper with the float, and put on a regular Blue Lavelle flapper, and the flush was superior.

The class 5 flush is ok imo, but Gerber pulled slightly head when it comes to flushing water imo.

Comment

I have installed a lot of the Kohler Class 4/5(?) Flushers and really like them... Their only weakness is the Mansfield style flush tower....

Comment

The 90.00 Vorten flushes like a Toto carouso. I always change the ballcock and use my own Wolverine tank bolts......I use a higher quality flapper also.

Comment

For every 100 Crane, Eljer, UR, Mansfield, Gerber, or AS I auger, I auger roughly about one Toto or Kohler. That's what led me to prefer those two brands. No experience with new 3" Gerber. As a matter of fact, I don't like augering Kohler and Toto because there's so little resistance on the auger that I have to stick my hand down in the water to hold the cable in order to extend it the extra 3'. I resisted Toto for a long time, and I still don't like their fancy ones, but the regular Toto Drake 1.6 is my favorite toilet. Expensive, yes, to buy, but I think cheaper in the long run, in a lot of cases. A toilet that stops up occasionally often becomes a toilet with a leaking wax seal. There goes all your cost savings.

Kohler after that, but I don't think the Kohler 1.28 uses enough water for cast iron, and their 1.6 (only offered on Wellworth and Highline, now, I think) is identical to the 1.28, as far as I can tell--exact same flushvalve.

I have a very low opinion of AS, justified or not. Mansfield 160 I like okay.

Toto is overpriced, but that goes with anything (for example, Ridgid seesnake) that is at the top of its field. It goes with the territory.

Besides flush performance, the elite brands have better china casting, or whatever you call it. Kohler's china (bowls, pedestals, . . .) has long been superior to most everything else.

Kohler has gone to steel hardware--a bad move.

Comment

I asked this under septic systems but this question may get better replies from this topic.

How is a septic system effected by using the low flow toilets?
                            Yes it's obvious 1.28 gal is less than 3 or 5 gallons, but with respect with such a
                            small amount of water won't the solids overwhelm the septic tank?

cactus Man

Comment

we install vortens toilets as a rule, because that's the generic toilet our main supplier carries, I like the Vitra's carried by a competitor a bit better, mostly because it has a fluidmaster already installed.

I have a kohler in my own home, never had to do anything to it, so i'm not even sure what kind of flush parts are in it.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

we use Toto all the way the g-max is awesome. in the builders line models always change the flapper. the old Mansfields were great the newer ones suck or don't suck good its according to how you look at it

Comment

Working...
                                X