Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
K-45 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • K-45

    Just bought the K-45AF, should have by the end of the week. Anyone like it better then the 39AF? I got so tired of the 39 autofeed handle breaking. I hope they made the 45 a professional tool not a handyman tool! I'll post some reveiws after I test it out. Also i here its supposed to not spit at you during work. That would be nice.
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

  • #2
    Re: K-45

    Yes please let us know. I was thinking of replacing my K39 with that one.

    I've fixed the leaking holes on my old girl with duct tape. Had to send her back once for a tune up. I learned real quick not to take her out of the van when it's 35 below zero, plug her in, and then go full blast. She needs to warm up a little first before you start working her.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: K-45

      as i posted dozens of times, you need to remove cables from the canister to dry them off and keep them from rusting. it takes a mere few seconds to remove a cable and 1 minute to install the right cable for the job at hand.

      it takes under 5 minutes to throughly clean the inner drum as needed.

      my cables last a very, very long time as i do what i preach.

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: K-45

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        as i posted dozens of times, you need to remove cables from the canister to dry them off and keep them from rusting. it takes a mere few seconds to remove a cable and 1 minute to install the right cable for the job at hand.

        it takes under 5 minutes to throughly clean the inner drum as needed.

        my cables last a very, very long time as i do what i preach.

        rick.
        It spits at me and slings black all over the tub enclosure when I have a backed up tub.Little too time consuming to dry off this tool during the cleaing process.
        Nothin' to do with the awesome maintenance tip we got from you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: K-45

          Got it last week and used it for the first time today on a 1 1/2 kitchen sink. It seems to run real smooth with alot more power then the k-39AF also the AF seems alot easier and smoother to hold down, I was real happy how fast the cable went in and out my hands did not hurt at all to hold down the whole time. You could really feel the power differance. The cons, I dont understand why it still spits at you when pulling in. Yea I know...wipe the cable, duck tape the holes...I dont wanna do that I want to pull my cable in with NO mess!!! Over all I would say its much stronger and the AF seems better built. But you are still gonna get a mess when you pull in.
          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: K-45

            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            as i posted dozens of times, you need to remove cables from the canister to dry them off and keep them from rusting. it takes a mere few seconds to remove a cable and 1 minute to install the right cable for the job at hand.

            it takes under 5 minutes to throughly clean the inner drum as needed.

            my cables last a very, very long time as i do what i preach.

            rick.
            Rick, I have always found the motor to be the greatest weakness of the K-39, I'm glad Ridgid decided to redesign it

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: K-45

              What would you guys rather use on tubs and sinks? The K-45 or the K-40. In other words, which one would be the best investment. I'm also looking to replace my K-39.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: K-45

                i use the k-39 all the time for 1.5'' tub overflows and the trap with 5/16'' bulb head.

                i own a k-40 and haven't used it for for as long as i c,an remember.

                it was just a disaster on the design of the drum, hose and feeder combination.

                of course they have made some changes, but i don't think i would even use it still.

                the k-45 is a beefed up k-39 and should serve you perfectly like my k-39 still does from day 1

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: K-45

                  I actually like using the K50 with A17 adapter and 5/16 cable if there is very little water standing in the tub but have used the auto spin a few times for that and it worked great and no mess with the auto spin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: K-45

                    Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    It spits at me and slings black all over the tub enclosure when I have a backed up tub.Little too time consuming to dry off this tool during the cleaing process.
                    Nothin' to do with the awesome maintenance tip we got from you.
                    Yes that is what I like about useing my K-39 as you feed the brown coloured cable into the waste pipe and spins slining all the bits and peaces off the cable from the previous clearing job all over the basin and wall tiles and the client comes in ashaust with all the mess you have made and you just tell her that you have a vary dirty waste pipe and its lucky you called just in time.

                    Why did you have to mention the K-40 Rick its like a red rag to a bull as I see its also a paper weight in your garage as it is in mine,

                    Tony

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: K-45

                      guys, pulling in wet cables into a little drum is no different than pulling in a wet drum cable into a k-750/7500. the water/ waste is trapped in the cable and brought back into the drum. the centrifugal force will spin the water back out and your rusty cables are what makes it black.

                      it's a simple matter of either bring the cable back in dry, or performing a routine cleaning.

                      other than a plugged kitchen sink, that's full of grease and grime, there's really no other time my cables get nasty.

                      try pulling your cables back out of the drain using a rag to dry the cable. if you don't want to do that trick, then be prepared to dry and clean your drum as needed. trapped water will spin out of the drum and your rusty cables are the reason it's dirty.

                      am i the only one to remove cables and keep a clean dry machine

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: K-45

                        I don't seem to have a problem with rusty cables. It's the drain gook that is black and makes the mess. I still haven't figured out how to dry off the cable while retrieving it. I only use two hands.


                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        guys, pulling in wet cables into a little drum is no different than pulling in a wet drum cable into a k-750/7500. the water/ waste is trapped in the cable and brought back into the drum. the centrifugal force will spin the water back out and your rusty cables are what makes it black.

                        it's a simple matter of either bring the cable back in dry, or performing a routine cleaning.

                        other than a plugged kitchen sink, that's full of grease and grime, there's really no other time my cables get nasty.

                        try pulling your cables back out of the drain using a rag to dry the cable. if you don't want to do that trick, then be prepared to dry and clean your drum as needed. trapped water will spin out of the drum and your rusty cables are the reason it's dirty.

                        am i the only one to remove cables and keep a clean dry machine

                        rick.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: K-45

                          Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          I don't seem to have a problem with rusty cables. It's the drain gook that is black and makes the mess. I still haven't figured out how to dry off the cable while retrieving it. I only use two hands.

                          2 ways i do it.

                          1- is to just use a towel/ rag and retrieve the cable by hand after clearing the drain and running water to throughly flush. power the machine as needed to free the cable.

                          2- hold a dry sponge by the front of the machine while using the auto feed to retrieve the cable. keeping the sponge from being sucked into the auto feed is important and not that difficult.

                          the less water that comes back with the cable, the longer time intervals it takes to need to clean out the drum.

                          of course, removing wet cables from wet drums. makes the cables last a long time and keeps them from rusting.

                          i store my cables outside the drum and pick the cable i need for the next job.

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: K-45

                            When I was still cleaning drains, when I got back to the shop I would pull the cable out and hit it with the pressure washer. If it was a nice day out I leave them on the pavement to dry before winding them up.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: K-45

                              I started pulling my k39 cables out after each job. Rinse them if they're grimy, then coil them and hit them with WD40 or Snake Oil. It takes discipline as I'm usually not in the mood to do it after the fact and I'm ready to move on, but when I need the 39, I have a clean, oiled cable ready to go. You're right; any cable comes back wet and sometimes filthy. I'm glad Ridgid beefed up the 45. I haven't killed my 39 and not trying to... but the motor does feel like it could use a shot of testosterone.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X