X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drains that serve soda machines

I was at a job recently where the drain was backing up. It was a floor drain that had an ice-maker and soda(pop,coke) machine discharging into it.

This was not the first time the drain had been a problem, and one of the last "Franchise like" companies had up-sold some Bio-Clean to help maintenance the line. It doesn't seem like the bio-clean has a proper amount of time to work on the gunk, due to the fact the ice maker is almost constantly draining a little water in the drain.

My question is, what can or could be done to help prevent this problem, or the owner could do to avoid having it snaked several times a year? I am not interested in losing potential revenue, but like to solve problems for my customers?
    If I can't fix it, I will help you find a good plumber.

Re: Drains that serve soda machines

jetting is better than snaking this line for preventative.

don't worry, if it's cast iron, you'll be back to replace it soon enough.

plastic would be my choice on the replacement.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      jetting is better than snaking this line for preventative.

don't worry, if it's cast iron, you'll be back to replace it soon enough.

plastic would be my choice on the replacement.

rick.

It is a PVC line. The building has been remodeled to accommodate this new business, several years ago. Looks as if a general contactormdidmthe work. Not sure how well the drains were installed. The building owner will not pay for corrections.

Comment

with plastic/ pvc, a jetter will make that line brand new.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I always advise store/restaurant owners to pour a couple buckets of hot h2o into their pop drains at the end of the day or shift, to help keep the lines from sludging up. It rarely happens, but I do my bit to educate them, and when the problem re-occurs over and over, at least they know why.

Comment

Jet all the way after I jet it open I hit it with some dawn dish soap pull the jet hose back and scrub the pipe clean
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I had same set up, was third pumber in...it was cabled every three months...I jetted it with a cart jetter and its been clean for about 3 years...Jet it baby!!!
              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I would agree that a jetting would be best. I do not have one yet so I do what I can.

Let me ask another question about jetting. This drain looks like it has a few fittings to turn it away from a joist, then the trap. How well would a jetter pass through a 2" PVC line with a couple fittings then a trap?

Comment

1/8 jet hose jetter on pluse and Dawn dish soap helps keep the jet hose slick makes it move threw bends
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Jetting is definitely your best option. Take the problem right out.
                    Plumbing Solutions, LLC
                    Plumber in S.C.

Comment

I have two of my guys out looking at a 2 inch soda fountain drain line right now. We have inspected this line before and found it to be rotted away at the bottom in a few spots. They are measuring for a liner install we will be putting in later this week or early next week. Maybe i will post some before and after pics when we are done.

In a situation where the line is in tact but has a sugar snake living in it, we jet them and they look like new again. Routine maintenance is key to prevent backups on those types of drains.
                      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                      X